Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Same scientist say just one eruption from a volcano (50 to 60 eruptions happen each month) releases more than twice the amount of ozone-depleting gases currently in stratosphere due to humanmade emissions.

What plans do we have in place for farting cows and volcano's?

That is a dodge, and you know it. We can't control EVERYTHING, but to ignore the things we CAN control is simply reckless. That is the problem with you climate deniers, you have more excuses than Carter has liver pills.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:45 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

I honestly almost want a dictatorship of scientists. As long as human rights were respected, they would have my permission to ditch—or at least reform—democracy.

When you have a system of government in place in which a forklift operator from Alabama, a barista in Portland, and a nuclear physicists all have the exact same ability to alter an election and get the same number of votes, what do you think is going to happen?
Excellent post.

Have you heard of soil restoration?

Quote:
Studies from a variety of universities and science-based institutions have shown that by restoring the health of industrially degraded soil we can draw down between 1 ton of carbon per hectare per year (Rattan Lal, study Ohio State link) and 9 tons (Richard Teague Texas A&M) depending on a variety of factors.
https://thecarbonunderground.org/the...han-you-think/

Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Every person in the US could disavow all combustion engines, electronics, meat, etc for the next 25 years and that savings is wiped out by one month of normal Chinese or Indian consumption.

Furthermore, scientists say that if every human on earth went back to the stone ages tomorrow, that we could not slow global warming for 100 years and then only by a small fraction of a %. Perhaps, they could reverse it somewhere hundreds of years out, if they're right and if everything works exactly as they theorize.

What we ought to be doing is putting all that money, research and passion into adapting to the inevitable changes coming our way regardless of how they're being created.

Population control is the other obvious move. Give every poor Asian, African and South American assistance in return for voluntary sterilization. Same here in the US. Immigrants are welcome, but not welcome to have 6-7 kids that the rest of us pay for. There's no reason for it. Sterilize them all after one kid. Same with the poor. If you're so poor here that you have to depend on public assistance, there's no reason you should have 4-5 kids. Whether that be the trailer park or da hood, I think it's a good policy.
The American poor should be sterilized at puberty, in a method that can't be reversed. Poor adults are immediately rounded-up and sterilized too. Once they show 10 years of tax returns over 200K income, the sterilization is reverse and valid for one child. If they don't, too bad, so sad, the family dies away. I mean if you're going to whip out sterilization, don't hold back.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is a dodge, and you know it. We can't control EVERYTHING, but to ignore the things we CAN control is simply reckless. That is the problem with you climate deniers, you have more excuses than Carter has liver pills.
IDK, you guys seem to think you can control earths climate, simply by throwing my hard earn tax dollars at it.

Since you're so hell-bent on saving the planet, what significant things have you done to reduce/eliminate your carbon foot print?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
But people should build, only we should build smart. Instead of tearing down forests and farmland, they could easily redevelop existing developed areas with newer, better homes. And that doesn't mean people couldn't have a nice garage and backyard, just that it should be built to function and to last, and not built just for size and gaudy grandeur.
Oops, I misspoke! What I meant to say is that we stop building on farmland and in far exurban areas. The crux of construction activity should be happening in our nation's cities, along with their adjoining suburbs. Cities should build upwards, and our inner suburbs should densify. The federal government should then invest in rail infrastructure to connect these suburbs to the core city, along with expanding transit within cities. I can't stand that, as a city resident, I have to subsidize the cost of the suburbs and auto-oriented infrastructure when suburban and exurban areas don't produce anywhere near the GDP levels that our cities produce.

That house you showed also looks really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That's nice and all. However how do you offset with that strategy the 2-3B people who are now coming online demanding electrical power, heating, cars, internet, running water, TV, movies and everything we've enjoyed and squandered since WW2?
"Welcome to the way that city residents felt in the post-WWII decades!"

I would ask them how they think that city residents felt when their demands weren't being met at a time where the government was actively encouraging the development of suburbs. Not too many people seemed to care how city residents felt when vibrant neighborhoods were demolished to make way for highways that mainly catered to suburbanites. Not too many people seemed to care that city neighborhoods were crumbling. For those reasons, along with a few others, I could care less about what suburban residents think. Suburbanization is unsustainable over the long-run. Those residents who have been living comfortably in the suburbs may have to face a new reality in the coming decades.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Same scientist say just one eruption from a volcano (50 to 60 eruptions happen each month) releases more than twice the amount of ozone-depleting gases currently in stratosphere due to humanmade emissions.

What plans do we have in place for farting cows and volcano's?

Equip the cows with catalytic-converters?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Equip the cows with catalytic-converters?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And billions of people in mud huts are modernizing and getting things like mopeds, AC, refrigerators, cars, etc.

Do you plan to:
1. Force them to stay in mud huts
2. Make major changes to your lifestyle
3. Ignore it other than a post about your outrage from time to time
First time I think I heard this point of view. Lots of very densely population nations are getting modernized. India with 1.3 BILLION, that is 1,300 MILLION(USA population is about 300 Million). China with 1.3 Billion as well is already decades into this transformation, again 1.3 Billion is 1,300 Million. They want cars, bigger cars actually, A/C, power, cheaper food to sustain growing population, etc

Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
As any good Trumpist can tell you, scientists don't know anything. Trump himself, knows more about science, than all of them put together. Who are people going to believe, a bunch of nerds with worthless college degrees or the Great Trump? He says that the whole global-warming thing is fake news. We are wasting our money and hampering our industries, by giving any credibility to those silly theories about man-made greenhouse gasses.

Besides, the ultra-rich, who are the only ones that count, can always move to their summer homes in colder regions, if it ever really did get hotter. Trump could relocate Mar-a-Lago to Alaska, if Florida heated up or got flooded by rising sea-level. The lower classes are accustomed to hardship and don't need to be coddled. If those in Trump's cult are too stupid to understand what he is, they probably won't even notice that giant hurricanes are reaching all the way to Minneapolis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I live in Mpls, when did this happen?

Will happen, if we don't change our ways. Maybe huge tornadoes there.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
As any good Trumpist can tell you, scientists don't know anything. Trump himself, knows more about science, than all of them put together. Who are people going to believe, a bunch of nerds with worthless college degrees or the Great Trump? He says that the whole global-warming thing is fake news. We are wasting our money and hampering our industries, by giving any credibility to those silly theories about man-made greenhouse gasses.

Besides, the ultra-rich, who are the only ones that count, can always move to their summer homes in colder regions, if it ever really did get hotter. Trump could relocate Mar-a-Lago to Alaska, if Florida heated up or got flooded by rising sea-level. The lower classes are accustomed to hardship and don't need to be coddled. If those in Trump's cult are too stupid to understand what he is, they probably won't even notice that giant hurricanes are reaching all the way to Minneapolis.
Where were the giant hurricanes between 2005 and 2017?
Oh yeah, I forgot --- there weren't any.
You climate change people make some decent points, and then you throw out an item in your argument like this one, which is easily refutable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies