Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Scientists, who have no reason to fabricate this stuff, and the rest of the world, know that unless we get control of carbon emissions, that little 2 degree spike will cause horrible consequences to our planet and our lives. Only some dummies on this side of the ocean call it fake.

Thank God the rest of the countries are smarter than we are and are still going ahead with programs to solve this serious problem. I hope the next guy in the WH is smarter than the dumbass we now have, and can fix what Trump has tried to derail.
The rest of the countries?

Are you aware of what China and India are doing?

Unless they get on board we still have big problems.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Thanks for your response, but it seems to me there is something missing. For each of the scientist's suggestions that you don't like, perhaps you can offer an alternative? You agree that we need to be better custodians of our planet, so how would you suggest that we be better custodians, in light of each of the problems the scientists are pointing to?
I don't have any real alternatives...but I do know that I would not want to be the one to eliminate half the population....sorry but I have more of a love for my fellow humans than to suggest depopulation like they are

Old 11-13-2017, 08:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
The best thing that this country can do to stop the impending climate change crisis is to curb suburbanization. Although our cities are currently experiencing a renaissance (and certain suburbs are beginning to take on urban characteristics), there is still far too much auto-oriented suburban development going on. This country needs to focus on expanding public transportation options, encouraging citizens to live in urbanized areas, and take initiatives to discourage the use of cars. Also, we city residents are tired of subsidizing the suburbs and drivers.

I really wish this country would take some lessons from Europe at times. Their cities are generally very human-friendly,
transit-accessible, and are not dominated with auto-oriented features (surface parking lots, highways that run through the city, ugly parking garages, etc.). Luckily, I live in a very urban, almost European-like city where I choose to live car-free. I really hope that gas spikes up to $7.00+/gallon and stays there.
We could start by repurposing the malls that are being abandoned into apartments, community centers. They could use the shell of the large anchor stores and turn them into schools, and the rest could be turned into apartment units. It would be idea for young families: kids get dressed and walk down the hall to the elementary school and parents drive to work.

This is already underway to some extent: https://gizmodo.com/7-dead-shopping-...ive-1634073681

This could be one step closer to eventually, FINALLY, building arcologies.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:04 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Exactly right about the ugly McMansions...I find it funny that the "muh traditional values!" people who want to take America back to the 1950s never stop and look at the homes of the 1950s. The Beaver and Ozzy and Harriet weren't living in McMansions and commuting an hour by SUV to and from work.

But people should build, only we should build smart. Instead of tearing down forests and farmland, they could easily redevelop existing developed areas with newer, better homes. And that doesn't mean people couldn't have a nice garage and backyard, just that it should be built to function and to last, and not built just for size and gaudy grandeur.

That's what a sustainable house built on old farmland looks like. Not exactly an "apartment downtown."
That's nice and all. However how do you offset with that strategy the 2-3B people who are now coming online demanding electrical power, heating, cars, internet, running water, TV, movies and everything we've enjoyed and squandered since WW2?

Are you just going to tell them, sorry kids stay in your mud and straw homes with the handcranked well? We're going to downsize our carbon footprints and in a generation or so we'll let you know what you can have.

That's the issue, first worlders driving a prius and using a heat pump aren't going to resolve that issue, it's fiddling while Rome burns, but complaining about the tune.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
As any good Trumpist can tell you, scientists don't know anything. Trump himself, knows more about science, than all of them put together. Who are people going to believe, a bunch of nerds with worthless college degrees or the Great Trump? He says that the whole global-warming thing is fake news. We are wasting our money and hampering our industries, by giving any credibility to those silly theories about man-made greenhouse gasses.

Besides, the ultra-rich, who are the only ones that count, can always move to their summer homes in colder regions, if it ever really did get hotter. Trump could relocate Mar-a-Lago to Alaska, if Florida heated up or got flooded by rising sea-level. The lower classes are accustomed to hardship and don't need to be coddled. If those in Trump's cult are too stupid to understand what he is, they probably won't even notice that giant hurricanes are reaching all the way to Minneapolis.
I live in Mpls, when did this happen?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That's nice and all. However how do you offset with that strategy the 2-3B people who are now coming online demanding electrical power, heating, cars, internet, running water, TV, movies and everything we've enjoyed and squandered since WW2?
Simple: we have much better technology than we did in WWII.

Electricity? Solar power and wind. Heating? Solar and geothermal. Internet? No big deal: satellites don't pollute anything. Movies? A TV can be built from recycled materials and/or bioplastics. Moves? Same thing.

Quote:
Are you just going to tell them, sorry kids stay in your mud and straw homes with the handcranked well? We're going to downsize our carbon footprints and in a generation or so we'll let you know what you can have.
They should move from their "mud huts" to a smartly designed apartment building that uses rainwater to flush the toilets, has solar and the water heater on the roof (for solar powered hot water which is already widespread in developing countries) and everything else can be designed for efficiency.

Quote:
That's the issue, first worlders driving a prius and using a heat pump aren't going to resolve that issue, it's fiddling while Rome burns, but complaining about the tune.
Those countries take their cues from the first world. If we change, they will follow suit and not make the same mistakes that are actually more expensive. For example: biodiesel is cheaper to produce than petrodiesel.

And the US still produces way too much carbon as well.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK so what. The ship has sailed. IT CAN NOT BE REVERSED. We be better off spending money developing tech to live in the world going forward.
Correct.
The left never seems to accept this as a possibility, though.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
It isn't the raising of life stock per se, but rather the way it is raised. Cows feeding on grass produce less methane than ones feeding on corn, and other bovines are even better.

I never understood why the government doesn't produce incentives to farm yaks in places like Montana, Alaska, and the Dakotas where farming cows is next to impossible. Yaks produce nowhere near the methane of cows, grow in the harshest environments, and taste like lean beef...mostly because they are so similar to cows genetically.

But the cattle industry has a massive lobby, so they will keep factory raising cows in ways that pollute more than the average coal power plant.
Great points made. The methane from these industrial livestock operations are one thing, but when you see the deforestation in much of the world to start cattle ranches you see something that is common with climate change, a positive feedback loop. One change causes another change that is equally disastrous. Another example is warming temperatures that are melting the permafrost in arctic regions is releasing carbon dioxide and methane, further accelerating climate change.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Correct.
That's because we don't feel defeated and hopeless like conservatives do.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Correct.

It actually can be reversed through climate engineering...but the patchouli-left are against anything that "messes with the function of mother nature!" so they keep us from even talking about it.

There is nothing stopping the governments of the world form coming together and building massive forests of genetically improved kelp on the coasts of West Africa and the Philippines to sink a big chunk of the carbon and providing amazing fishing water and kelp for biodiesel and/or fertilizer and food. It would cost probably 1/100th of what the nations of the world spent on military buildup during the Cold War.

The only thing stopping us are incompetent leaders, a world populace that is composed mostly of subhuman buffoons, and the idiotic hippies who are triggered by the words "genetic engineering" and "climate engineering."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies