Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, it has grown to 18 members. Yes, it is quite many. I don't think the Dem party is any more left than is has been in the past. They have promoted the same ideas since the early 1960s.
18 moderate Democrats...out of 435 House seats. Not MANY. Sad to see that the Democrats have abandoned moderate positions.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:40 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Send the dogs out, and let 'em chew people up. Let's see some politician blood and guts on the Capital Hill lawn...

Old 11-18-2017, 06:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
That? That is not a sun setting. It is a disagreement on reauthorization of the funding level for CHIP, which was blown up 23%, over The rest of Medicaid funding under the ACA. No states are out of money and the continuing authorization debate is in Congress. There is plenty of time to get this funding adjusted and approved. With the childhood obesity rate in the U.S., it is unlikely there will be mass starvation. My goodness, emotion, emotion.
There you go..you just solved childhood obesity, cut off their healthcare

Old 11-18-2017, 07:06 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
I spent the last couple of decades arguing with family members that the GOP was not the party of meanness or corporate greed, but instead was the party of fiscal responsibility this country needed. So when they seize the executive and the legislature, this is how they repay me. Meanwhile Bill f-ing Clinton was the last fiscally responsible President.

I’m really looking forward to eating some crow with my turkey next week. Actually, since I was the one who believed the Republicans might actually put forward an intelligent, forward-thinking and simplified tax plan, maybe I’m the turkey.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
No, I am saying that laws with sunset provisions are rarely sun setted. And, yes, that is my answer.
And if the economy tanks, you really think the middle class tax cuts will be extended? You are far more optimistic than I am. And since you seem to think this tax plan is going to be beneficial to the middle class, are you aware of this?

The GOP tax bill proposes applying chained CPI to the tax code. The day after its release, House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady updated the bill to have chained CPI take effect immediately, instead of in 2023. The impacts are at first trivial, but grow over time. According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, chained CPI would increase taxes by $128.2 billion over the next ten years; Howard Gleckman of the Tax Policy Center estimates it would cost taxpayers another $500 billion in the decade after that. People who have less income and rely more on deductions and tax credits—i.e., the working poor and the middle class—are most affected. A major reason that House Speaker Paul Ryan’s model middle class family gets a tax cut in the first year after the legislation but a tax increase in later years is chained CPI.

Chained CPI also increases taxes. The cutoff for tax brackets, the standard deduction, and the Earned Income Tax Credit are all indexed to inflation annually. If the index rises more slowly, more salary gets pushed into a higher tax bracket, and deductions and tax credits erode as well.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1456...lican-tax-plan

Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Try to stay on topic rather than venting. There is a tax break for companies relocating operations overseas, congress also dropped the the removal of favorable treatment of stock options for executives.
And added in a tax break for owners of private jets because we all know how hard it is to pay for your private jet

Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and what do you think the MOST master's degrees are in.....education..... 100,000 degrees awarded each year

50,000 degrees each year in....liberal arts

yet less than 35,000 degrees in engineering........

total master's degrees awarded average year 512,618

40k in medicine
35k in engineering
30k in social behavior
18k in math and computer science
12k in biology
6 k in earth sciences

so 500k degrees awarded, yet about 1/5 of them actually useful....so his number of 95% was a little off.....80% are uselesss
Teachers need a masters to teach special ed, at least in my state. My son got his masters in International Relations in England, a liberal arts degree. His skill is writing and research and incredible knowledge of the countries in the world including their politics and how it affects our country. Not everyone can be skilled in math and science, so we need a balance of both.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:46 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And if the economy tanks, you really think the middle class tax cuts will be extended? You are far more optimistic than I am. And since you seem to think this tax plan is going to be beneficial to the middle class, are you aware of this?

The GOP tax bill proposes applying chained CPI to the tax code. The day after its release, House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady updated the bill to have chained CPI take effect immediately, instead of in 2023. The impacts are at first trivial, but grow over time. According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, chained CPI would increase taxes by $128.2 billion over the next ten years; Howard Gleckman of the Tax Policy Center estimates it would cost taxpayers another $500 billion in the decade after that. People who have less income and rely more on deductions and tax credits—i.e., the working poor and the middle class—are most affected. A major reason that House Speaker Paul Ryan’s model middle class family gets a tax cut in the first year after the legislation but a tax increase in later years is chained CPI.

Chained CPI also increases taxes. The cutoff for tax brackets, the standard deduction, and the Earned Income Tax Credit are all indexed to inflation annually. If the index rises more slowly, more salary gets pushed into a higher tax bracket, and deductions and tax credits erode as well.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1456...lican-tax-plan
The devil is in the details.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I spent the last couple of decades arguing with family members that the GOP was not the party of meanness or corporate greed, but instead was the party of fiscal responsibility this country needed. So when they seize the executive and the legislature, this is how they repay me. Meanwhile Bill f-ing Clinton was the last fiscally responsible President.

I’m really looking forward to eating some crow with my turkey next week. Actually, since I was the one who believed the Republicans might actually put forward an intelligent, forward-thinking and simplified tax plan, maybe I’m the turkey.
Wonder how many are in your shoes.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 AM

Dropping corporate taxes from 35% to 20% makes sense when we owe so much money.

Paying down our debt is what we should be working on now, not running it up.

Where are those fiscally responsible Republicans when you need them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies