Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times

Advertisements

Yup, that "massive" drop is 100/15800. That is a 0.6% drop. The coal that fell off through the cracks of truck beds probably accounts for it. This is the kind of stuff sleazy politicians try to slip by people. Gotta be ashamed of yourself OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 11:12 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The reality is that when Trump promised to 'bring back those high paying coal job' he was lying. Coal jobs have been on the decline for decades primarily due to automation and Trump can revoke all environmental regulations and it isn't going to help coal.

Meanwhile, the nation has lost 100,000 retail jobs -- which is more than all coal jobs, in the last year.

Here's that same graph scaled in a less deceptive way.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They have their own supply, moot point. Our coal is too expensive for this plant, and an increasing number of US based plants. You can keep on dreaming, but Appalachia is NOT going to get their coal jobs back. Trump lied, and they're going to realize it, sooner or later. You Republicans need to stop hanging your hat on coal
As of July, U.S. coal exports were up 60% (36.79 million tons)... and these 1600 new coal plants haven't even come on line yet.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:21 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There are people absolutely rooting for the day that people in my industry (Class A truck driving) have to go on the unemployment line, and it makes me nervous
Who are these people?

Certainly people look forward to faster, more efficient, safer transportation of goods, but that doesn't mean they're itching to see you in the unemployment line.

What it does mean is that you shouldn't assume nothing will ever change in your industry. You should look at what's coming and prepare accordingly.

"I want clean air and rivers" does not mean "I want to see miners starve to death."
"I would like safer highways and cleaner, more efficient transportation" does not mean "I want to see truckers in line at the soup kitchen."

Stop with the victimhood nonsense and learn to adapt like the rest of us.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What kind of human beings would celebrate job loss for their fellow citizens??
You guys are so short sighted. When automobiles came into use, a lot of people making horse related things started to lose jobs. The people who made buggy whips (and buggies) saw their industry go down, manufacturing lagging, lost jobs. But the economy and jobs shifted elsewhere. Halting the progress of the society in positive ways always produces dislocation. Should the country have suppresses the development of cars and supported horse-drawn transportation? A good economy absorbs those losses by shifting jobs to other sectors.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:26 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
There are people absolutely rooting for the day that people in my industry (Class A truck driving) have to go on the unemployment line, and it makes me nervous
I don’t think you have to worry. A report last month:

Why America is facing a shortage of truck drivers

Old 11-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don’t think you have to worry. A report last month:

Why America is facing a shortage of truck drivers
Once automated trucks take over (thanks Google), there will be no need for human drivers anymore, and I will be back into the unskilled labor pool again after busting my butt to get where I am now

Old 11-23-2017, 11:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Who are these people?

Certainly people look forward to faster, more efficient, safer transportation of goods, but that doesn't mean they're itching to see you in the unemployment line.

What it does mean is that you shouldn't assume nothing will ever change in your industry. You should look at what's coming and prepare accordingly.

"I want clean air and rivers" does not mean "I want to see miners starve to death."
"I would like safer highways and cleaner, more efficient transportation" does not mean "I want to see truckers in line at the soup kitchen."

Stop with the victimhood nonsense and learn to adapt like the rest of us.
Have you watched any of the videos about automated trucks on YouTube and read the comments sections?

Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
As of July, U.S. coal exports were up 60% (36.79 million tons)... and these 1600 new coal plants haven't even come on line yet.
So why are the Appalachian coal miners still stuck on "disability"? Don't see a renaissance happening in Huntington, WV on the horizon. They got false hope, because the majority of those coal exports are coming out of Wyoming

Old 11-23-2017, 11:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Have you watched any of the videos about automated trucks on YouTube and read the comments sections?
There's gonna be dark days ahead. Human labor is slowly becoming obsolete. But instead, we have an admin self-pleasuring themselves over coal. Unless the US outright bans automation, the US economy is not going to absorb lost truck drivers if it's doing such a poor job of reabsorbing ex coal miners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies