Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Right. And just because it's illegal to ask someone's age during a job interview, you can simply ask the potential employee to voluntarily hand over their driver's license or birth certificate.

Go ahead and do that and see how far you get once reported.
While an interview. - can’t. Once hired - do the I- 9 - simple but you could not judge before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:07 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So my point stands. Even though you quoted the same old oft repeated myth, there is no proof that employees with bad credit are more likely to commit crimes against their employer. The employer assumes so, so they pull credit, but there is no concrete evidence of that.
It's not a myth as far as I am concerned. I don't care if you have a bad credit history due to medical bills however, if you have a history of failing to meet contractual obligations that you voluntarily entered with debtors, it is reasonable to assume that you will fail to me your obligations with me as my employee.

All things equal between candidates, the candidate with the qualifications and demonstrable ability to meet his/her voluntary obligations gets the job.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is not illegal to ask someone's age in a job interview. It is only illegal to discriminate if over the age of 40.
They can ask your date of birth on the job application but the interviewer (who may be a different person) can't outright ask you your age in an interview.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You would have never hired the Wendy’s CEO, Dave, Sam Walton from Walmart -or even Oprah ! Your loss!
Specifically, tinytrump, what criteria of mine for hiring employees would the aforementioned fail to meet?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i say yes, just to prove their responsibility, some employees have company credit card. somebody that have bad credit might go crazy on the company card. show responsibilty
How am I irresponsible- if my hubby is an idiot -has an affair -takes the all money in the savings and runs off with the hussie to Mexico —and now I have a Mtg, 3 kids and a fair paying job - so I get a 2nd pt job /but bills are very late by now —-I’m not the responsible party!! Can you not see how this could happen??

Old 11-25-2017, 10:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
It is not illegal to ask someone's age in a job interview. It is only illegal to discriminate if over the age of 40.
You're correct, but most places refer to the illegality of asking a person's age - so over the years that lingo has become most used with few parsing the language.

For example:

8 Illegal Interview Questions To Avoid

11 Illegal Interview Questions - Business Insider

And this article, by NY attorney's claim that some questions are illegal.

Illegal Employment Interview Questions, Employment Law Attorneys

So my point stands regardless of language.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
They can ask your date of birth on the job application but the interviewer (who may be a different person) can't outright ask you your age in an interview.
Yes, they can ask your age during an interview. Please show me the law that says they cannot.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
How am I irresponsible- if my hubby is an idiot -has an affair -takes the all money in the savings and runs off with the hussie to Mexico —and now I have a Mtg, 3 kids and a fair paying job - so I get a 2nd pt job /but bills are very late by now —-I’m not the responsible party!! Can you not see how this could happen??
Well, you chose to marry an idiot and allow him to father three kids that you are now responsible for. What does that say about your judgement?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're correct, but most places refer to the illegality of asking a person's age - so over the years that lingo has become most used with few parsing the language.

For example:

8 Illegal Interview Questions To Avoid

11 Illegal Interview Questions - Business Insider

And this article, by NY attorney's claim that some questions are illegal.

Illegal Employment Interview Questions, Employment Law Attorneys

So my point stands regardless of language.
Still not illegal to ask though, that is all I stated. There is no law that states they cannot ask your age.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:19 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Yes, they can ask your age during an interview. Please show me the law that says they cannot.
They can ask but they don't have to be a patsy and tell them. Most would ask why does that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies