Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:53 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,590,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?
I've noticed it too. With the exception of a few, the new movies are vastly inferior to the older ones. In part it's because of the Progressive/Commie agenda being injected into lots of them, but also the content, especially for kids shows, is increasingly stupid. Also, there seems to be an increasing amount of lack of creativity (i.e. recycling stuff) in movie making. Sure, if you can do well with a long series, go for it. But if not, eventually it gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You are right. No more refinement. No class today . Our society has become full of low life behavior,u using foul language and the breaking down of our morality.

Hollywood sleaze has broken down all decency and they have no limits or standards. It has become THE NEW NORMAL to be foul mouthed, using sex in the worse way possible as so called comedians sprew there garbage ,and it is all so acceptable. That is the sad thing of how far our society has fallen.
I don't just blame Hollywood, but also our public "education" system too.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:58 PM

24,019 posts, read 15,115,869 times
Any tv set in the country can be turned off.

There was nothing worse aimed at kids than the sugar cereal commercials by our beloved free enterprise free market.

IIRC, the worse tv programs when my kids were small were on Rupert's stations. Produced by and shown on Fox. Married With Children rings a bell.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:03 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
I'll believe the people of this country are truly concerned about the 'decay of society' when we see more outrage over young Americans coming home in body bags for no good reason than over a bare breast at the Super Bowl.

Until that happens it's just another line of self congratulatory 'Oh, we're so moral' BS and nothing else.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It used to be socially acceptable to murder vast numbers of people in an organized fashion with bombs and bullets. Now people are willing to question the morality of doing that.

I’d say we’ve made moral progress.
Nah, now we just call it abortion.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Unless you are over the age of 50, such assessments, either way, are pure speculation without personal experience to call upon for comparison.

Being of the ripe old age of 60, I can absolutely see vast differences in societal attitudes/behavior as a baseline. While undesirable behavior has always existed, there has been a steady decline in moral values in general, leading to an increasing amount AND acceptance of antisocial behavior as normal. Today, in the eyes of many, the mere term “morality†is a dirty word, and taken as an affront by those holding on to antiquated beliefs that have no place in modern society. That’s true of God, too. Anyone who hasn’t noticed how God has been systematically removed just hasn’t been paying attention. It’s not an accident, or coincidence.

Much of this shift is a result of deliberate social engineering/manipulation by the mass media and the education system, which preys upon the weaker minds, playing to their lower level instincts. We glorify, celebrate and encourage immorality as an expression of personal freedom, because the goal of the social engineers is to eliminate personal regulation, in favor of authoritarianism and government regulation of behavior. “Order out of chaos†.... “Divide and Conquerâ€. If one wants to rebuild something, the first step is to dismantle it, and that is true of society as well. To rebuild a house, you must first tear down the old one. That’s whats happening, and it seems that very few actually have a clue as to how they are being manipulated into embracing self destruction. A comprehensive list of examples would fill volumes, but the Andy Griffith example is a classic case in point. Ole Mayberry was a sleepy old fictional town that never existed in reality, yet the underlying message of the show was of tranquility and good moral values, with clear lines between right and wrong behavior. The same could be said of all of the shows on TV during that era .... “Father knows best†... “Leave it to Beaver†... “Hazel†.... “I love Lucy†... “The Brady Bunch†... etc, etc. what replaced them? “Beavis and Buttheadâ€; “The Simpson’s†.... and no list would be complete without mentioning “Married with Childrenâ€, comprising Al Bundy, the clueless dim wit perpetual loser, his obnoxious wife Peggy, his pervert son and promiscuous daughter. What a fine example of a wholesome American family!

Couple this with 24/7 mainstream news, which broadcasts an endless stream of mass violence occurring hourly ... race baiting stories .... gender inequality stories .... continuous national protests for every concievable unfairness .... corruption ... crime ... terrorism .... the message is clear .... humanity is out of control, and our only all hope is government .... those finely dressed, honorable gentlemen and gentle ladies in Washington DC .... you know ... those sexual predators and peadophile perverts we elected to lead us will pass more laws to protect us from ourselves.

But whose going to protect us from them? That’s the question we better start asking.
I have thought that too, that we were being manipulated to look to government as the solution. I don't fall for it, though I'm having a hard time getting the people to wake up and take action and responsibility for themselves.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How can I speak through anything but my own personal lens? Some may have had a great time as a child but I was raised by a self obsessed drunk that treated me like a slave. Then there was boating on the Mekong. That did not help my attitude one bit. I spent 45 years working to get to the point I did not have to work for anyone else.

I am finally living on a well earned pension and enjoying not having to work for anyone. It ain't luxury but it ain't bad.

Old TV: Remember the Western called "Have gun, will travel" that built the show around a corrupt Sherriff, a madam and a frequently drunk psychotic gunslinger. I always wondered why no one else noticed. that show was far more illustrative of the West than "The Honeymooners" was of working urban life.
I can relate <bod> having lived with both parents who were drunks. While that part of my childhood really sucked there are things that were better then than now.
One huge one that comes to mind is the cops back then weren't arrest happy, for the most part they'd rather gives us a boot in the butt or a good talking to than take us in. They always said "I don't want to have to do all the paperwork" so knock it off or I'll have to. From what I remember we didn't have the cops shooting people as much nor did we have people/kids shooting each other as a rule, fist fights,maybe some clubs,chains and the occasional knife but not guns.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:30 PM

20,883 posts, read 9,569,032 times
It's more than a bit ironic the cons here are blaming in part modern media for today's moral ills, while also waxing nostalgic about the past, when that past they are idealizing had an even tighter concentration of media power than now. 50 years ago you had the big 3 TV networks (plus a token nod to PBS) that controlled basically all the news shown on TV. Even radio (particularly national news) was largely controlled by the same 3 or 4 entities. You also had newspapers but with the exception of a few of them (NY Times, Washington Post, pretty much the same as today) they focused more on local news, and the national news they did print tended to be the same stuff everybody else printed.

50 years ago there was no Fox News or Breitbart. Is that what the cons want to return to?

Old 11-25-2017, 02:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How America goes so goes Canada,if America fails as a country it will have a major impact on Canada,Limbaugh does much to foment hate venom and vitriol in America to the point Democrats are considered by many as an enemy of the state,can civil war be far off?
Also the op is asking for reasons for the decline of American society,i gave my opinion
B.S.. I'd bet you've not spent much time if any listening to him and are just going off what you've been told.
In many respects he's no better or worse than those on MSNBC or CNN except when it comes to humor, he's got 'em all beat in that respect. Man I miss those Timber updates,Spotted Owl updates, Enviro-whacko updates etc...

Old 11-25-2017, 02:32 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,808,014 times
Default Old movies perhaps capture the desired world

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?
Old movies are entertainment, pure & simple. These are the same folks who gave us Fatty Arbuckle, Errol Flynn, Rock Hudson & a slew of other actors & wanna-bees. Some were talented, some were not. As someone else pointed out, entertainments are not usually documentaries - which have an entirely different purpose. Entertainment is meant to take your money, put it together with the money from lots of other audience members, & make more movies, presumably in the same vein.

The old movies had a code of ethics - things they could show or not on screen. Most of the studios observed the code - in order to have a market for their entertainments. The behavior on screen was constrained by the expectations of the audience - someone who behaved in a thuggish manner in the movie was expected to meet a bad end, & usually did.

Virtue was rewarded, the good guy got the girl, & the cowboy hugged his horse & rode off into the sunset. It was the best of all possible worlds, & if not, the ugly stuff wound up on the cutting-room floor. It was largely make-believe, & if you dissented, you had to provide your own evidence. The mass media of the day were unlikely to help you rain on anyone's parade. That wasn't their job, & it would hurt the circulation & the advertisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies