Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So Who was a better President?
Ronald Reagan 134 52.76%
Barack Obama 120 47.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Anyone who thinks Reagan didn't do much doesn't know much about the Reagan presidency...

Top 10 Reagan Achievements | Human Events
If Iran-Contra, S&L crisis of 87 and the busting of the air traffic controllers union aren't on that list, then it's crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:15 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If Iran-Contra, S&L crisis of 87 and the busting of the air traffic controllers union aren't on that list, then it's crap
Once again, the air traffic controllers signed a contract stating they would not go on strike then they went on strike. They deserved to be fired.

Reagan caused the S&L "crisis" of 87? Also, it recovered quickly.

Again with Iran-Contra? What was done then was declared illegal after, not before.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Even Obama admitted he wanted to be like Reagan
He also said he wanted to be like Donald Trump. This was years ago.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Once again, the air traffic controllers signed a contract stating they would not go on strike then they went on strike. They deserved to be fired.

Reagan caused the S&L "crisis" of 87? Also, it recovered quickly.

Again with Iran-Contra? What was done then was declared illegal after, not before.
Nope, it was illegal while he was doing it. Iran-Contra happened because Congress passed the Boland Amendment, which was done to stop the funding of the Contra's, but the Gipper and co decided to keep doing it anyways....

Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
He also said he wanted to be like Donald Trump. This was years ago.
Obama said he wanted to be like Donald Trump the birther? Please cite the proof for that. I do remember Obama complimenting aspects of Reagan's presidency but never ever have I seen Obama be more than polite to Trump - and rightly so.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:43 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Nope, it was illegal while he was doing it. Iran-Contra happened because Congress passed the Boland Amendment, which was done to stop the funding of the Contra's, but the Gipper and co decided to keep doing it anyways....
Reagan didn't do it and once it was discovered he ordered an investigation right away.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
Late to post here and I only read a few of the first page comments, but even though Reagan is ahead in this poll, I'm going to say that a good percentage of those who picked Obama, weren't even around, or old enough to know, just how good things were back in the Reagan years. When he took over in 1980, this country was stagnant and in a sizable rut. Reagan didn't waste any time turning things around. Work was once again plentiful and enthusiast was way up. Most felt great about their country and where we were headed. Most of the "Shortages" we had in the recent years before seem to be finally gone. His State of the Union addresses, for one example, were some of the greatest I've ever witnessed. Now this is all if one liked positivity, morality, strength, etc.

Right now it is about 55 to 45, but even for a main stream site like we have here, I would expect it to be more like 75 - 25.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Late to post here and I only read a few of the first page comments, but even though Reagan is ahead in this poll, I'm going to say that a good percentage of those who picked Obama, weren't even around, or old enough to know, just how good things were back in the Reagan years. When he took over in 1980, this country was stagnant and in a sizable rut. Reagan didn't waste any time turning things around. Work was once again plentiful and enthusiast was way up. Most felt great about their country and where we were headed. Most of the "Shortages" we had in the recent years before seem to be finally gone. His State of the Union addresses, for one example, were some of the greatest I've ever witnessed. Now this is all if one liked positivity, morality, strength, etc.

Right now it is about 55 to 45, but even for a main stream site like we have here, I would expect it to be more like 75 - 25.
I was alive during The Gippers Presidency, and I still choose Obama

Old 11-30-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Reagan didn't do it and once it was discovered he ordered an investigation right away.
Reagan "said" he didn't do it, or that he "couldn't remember"

This is conjecture, and I admit that, but I think he had North be the fall guy, and was lying through his teeth when questioned about it

Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post

I was not only alive but recently graduated and looking for a job. It was not the paradise you portray and I lived in a up and coming city. Most of my fellow graduates felt the same way but we didn't vote or involve ourselves in politics. Reagan's supporters were the middle age and elderly who remembered his congenial characters from the movies and voted for that guy. Reagan "acted" like a good president and he did do a great job with the outward trappings of the position (i.e. being Presidential-something that eludes our current job holder). However, remember that interest rates were at modern highs during the Reagan era, Black Monday stock crash, we had the Savings&Loan scandals, the Iran-contra affair and most of the immigration issues that are so divisive today were started by Reagan (backing of right wing militias in Central and South America and opening US immigration). Like most presidents he was a mixed bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies