Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times

Advertisements

The king and queen living off of tax payers money while poverty is still an issue in England. So the blood line continues and the tax payers are ripped off by the so called Royals? Are we not all equal?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And the response to that is that he certainly doesn't mind taking money from the taxpayers to fund his lifestyle as if he was king.

Let him renounce his royalty and taxpayer stipend, and donate all his inherited riches to the poor of the world. Riches taken from the poor in the first place. Then you might have something.

Like I said, talk is cheap.
He doesn't live like a king. He lives like a prince.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM

31,915 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It is going to be a Royal Wessing, which usually means Westminster Abbey, although in Princess Diana's case it was St Paul's Cathedral.

It also means lots of pagentry, horses, soldiers, carriages with dignitaries and leaders from around the world. Prince Harry being a former Army Officer, and does some great charity work involving the military as well as heling to establish the Invictus Games.

So Trump's absence could be an embarrassment.

While it may be a royal wedding, it will *NOT* be a state function; as such there is no need nor requirement to invite foreign heads of state.

The Obamas became very close personally to both Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry over the years of that administration. In fact the Obamas were invited to spend time with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at their home. Prince Harry worked closely with Michelle Obama on a few common issues, and even came to the United States and visited.

Just making a short list it is easy to see why at least the younger generation in RF would take to Obama. They share a common bond over a wide range of issues; LGBT rights/equality, humanitarian issues such as hunger, violence against women, and so forth.

Prince William and then Kate Middleton went out of their way to invite a transgender and gay person to their wedding (IIRC they were friends from college and or PW's military career). Prince Harry has at least on one occasion stepped in to stop gay bashing by members of a group he was with and or those under his command during time in military.

Whereas His Orangeness is a philistine, brute and quite common/coarse.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Whereas His Orangeness is a philistine, brute and quite common/coarse.
We know this is the only thing that you really wanted to say about it.

I am proud to be an American, a Hillary Clinton deplorable and yes "common".

I suggest a read of the Declaration of Independence. That is clear enough what the American forefathers thought of British Royalty. I'm with them.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:47 PM

31,915 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
We know this is the only thing that you really wanted to say about it.

I am proud to be an American, a Hillary Clinton deplorable and yes "common".

I suggest a read of the Declaration of Independence. That is clear enough what the American forefathers thought of British Royalty. I'm with them.

Well then you likely seem to be in the minority, as Americans have been fawning over royalty since the Gilded Age and haven't really let up since.

Now for the first time since Wallis Simpson an American woman has broken into the ranks of British royalty, don't expect this story/coverage to die down anytime soon.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well then you likely seem to be in the minority, as Americans have been fawning over royalty since the Gilded Age and haven't really let up since.
Nope. Just the ones who watch and believe the MSM news. And they collectively are only watched by about 5% of the US population these days.

But if you want to go and fawn over "Prince" Harry, then have at it if floats your boat. I won't stop you.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
I’m pretty sure they live off their own family money. Their ancestors were rich as hell and agreed to let England take charge of their estate in exchange for being named the Royal Family. Something like that. I’m sure someone around here knows the details and will correct whatever part I got wrong. Anyway part of the deal was a percentage of the interest goes to prop up the family and the government keeps the rest. Plus the Queen (?) has some personal funds - likely all of them do. So they’re not exactly living off the government, their money helped create that government.

That said I don’t give a flying crap who gets invited to Harry’s wedding. Big whoop.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I’m pretty sure they live off their own family money. ..
Incorrect.

But you are correct about their inherited riches. Much of it coming from the North American slave trade and the subjugation of 100s of millions on the Indian subcontinent. Why the left in the USA chooses to ignore this, is beyond me.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:05 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I really don't care who goes and who doesn't and I don't think most Americans care either.
ITA. The marriage of far-from-the-throne British royalty and an American TV star don't send me anywhere. This is a social event.

I will be watching, though, if I can stand to see all of those ugly fascinators.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Incorrect.

But you are correct about their inherited riches. Much of it coming from the North American slave trade and the subjugation of 100s of millions on the Indian subcontinent. Why the left in the USA chooses to ignore this, is beyond me.
So how is it not their own money, in the sense they live off the interest on the estate they gave England (and occupy some of the buildings that were part of that estate). That was the deal. The live off the proceeds of their own estate, and that estate is managed by England, who takes the lion’s share of the proceeds.

I’m not trying to be snarky here, I’m just trying to understand the difference.

The left does not like the Royal family. They’ve been hated in progressive circles for years. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies