Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 02:49 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I just read that this royal wedding will be considered small, by royal standards, with only 800 guests.

So I'm guessing a lot of people will be axed from the guest list.

Things have changed for the RF since the Prince of Wales and even Prince Andrew had their lavish and well covered by media weddings.

Prince Harry is fifth in line to the throne (and may be sixth by May if the Duchess of Cambridge delivers another child by then), plus there is all the expense and bother that comes with such grand occasions.

Then there is the question of who is going to pay for it all. IIRC the Markel woman has *some* money, but her family has nothing. So that pretty much lets the traditional father of the bride off hook. Prince Harry of course has buckets as does his father and of course his grandmother. Not sure but don't think HM or any of the RF will be hitting up Parliament for money to pay for this grand occasion, perhaps other than what normally would be provided.

Economic times aren't that great in GB ATM; and with Brexit looming in the background you can see why some voices might be raised about spending vast sums of rate payer money on a royal wedding. Especially to a divorced American.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:53 PM

731 posts, read 679,116 times
The anti Trump sore loosers on here should get over it. I don't think he gives a rat's patoot anyway.

I am hearing that the reason for the marriage is that the actress is pregnant. Of course he is doing the honorable thing. Lets count the days until the birth, then we'll know for sure.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:58 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
And yet you can't seem to tear yourself away from it.
Haha! I gave you a rep point for that. Right you are...I'm moving on.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking a lot of people are going to be 'snubbed' by Royal standards. I don't see these two doing the whole world wide blowout kind of wedding. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a smaller affair than most.

This isn't going to be a state wedding, but a small "family" affair. IIRC this may be how PH and MM want things and or just how it will play out.

Weddings are expensive; at least Kate Middleton's family had *some* money and could foot a portion of that event. However the greatest part came from HM and Prince Phillip with the British ratepayers picking up the tab for extra security/LE patrols and so forth.

PH does have money of his own, and his fiancée a lesser amount. However the Markel family has nothing so there you are then. Prince Harry is also marrying a divorcee; which while not an automatic ban for a grand Anglican wedding, it can mean one with not a lot of fuss.

https://lifestyle.howstuffworks.com/...al-wedding.htm

The Royal Wedding: Who Pays the Bill? | Anglophenia | BBC America

Old 12-01-2017, 03:09 PM

For the benefit of those who do not know; yes, DT does care *VERY* much on some level about British royalty and has done so ever since he began doing business in that country.

Remember the man's mother was Scots, and though humble beginnings or even dirt poor the Trump man has managed to raise himself up.

Have said this before, and those also from NYC know this; DT is *NOT considered part of New York's "Belle Monde". In fact they consider the man a philistine, common and vulgar. What better way to show up society than to have a state visit to GB including meeting HM and the RF?

Say what you want but meeting the Queen, Prince Charles and or other select members of the RF is still considered a high honor. His Orangeness wasn't even POTUS for a few weeks before himself and handlers began pushing for a full frontal state visit to GB including meeting HM *and* going to Balmoral.

That meeting was pushed back and downgraded, and now seems not likely to happen at all.

On a final note it is apparent that DT has a *thing* about Barack Obama and his family. If nothing else this is proven by the zeal and viciousness at which he's attempted to undo everything the previous administration did and or otherwise blacken that name.

So anyone who thinks that DT is not bothered by the fact not only will the Obamas likely be invited to this royal wedding, but that they are on intimate terms with at least three members of the RF (Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry for a start), needs to think on.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I’m pretty sure they live off their own family money. Their ancestors were rich as hell and agreed to let England take charge of their estate in exchange for being named the Royal Family. Something like that. I’m sure someone around here knows the details and will correct whatever part I got wrong. Anyway part of the deal was a percentage of the interest goes to prop up the family and the government keeps the rest. Plus the Queen (?) has some personal funds - likely all of them do. So they’re not exactly living off the government, their money helped create that government.

That said I don’t give a flying crap who gets invited to Harry’s wedding. Big whoop.
How do you think the family became “rich as hell”? Taxpayers! Yes, medieval kings also collected taxes.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Things have changed for the RF since the Prince of Wales and even Prince Andrew had their lavish and well covered by media weddings.

Prince Harry is fifth in line to the throne (and may be sixth by May if the Duchess of Cambridge delivers another child by then), plus there is all the expense and bother that comes with such grand occasions.

Then there is the question of who is going to pay for it all. IIRC the Markel woman has *some* money, but her family has nothing. So that pretty much lets the traditional father of the bride off hook. Prince Harry of course has buckets as does his father and of course his grandmother. Not sure but don't think HM or any of the RF will be hitting up Parliament for money to pay for this grand occasion, perhaps other than what normally would be provided.

Economic times aren't that great in GB ATM; and with Brexit looming in the background you can see why some voices might be raised about spending vast sums of rate payer money on a royal wedding. Especially to a divorced American.
I suspect it will be an arrangement similar to that of Kate and Will's wedding. The RF and Kate's family each chipped in to pay for certain parts of the affair. I believe Kate's family paid for the private reception which was held later in the day - away from prying eyes - for family and friends.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How do you think the family became “rich as hell”? Taxpayers! Yes, medieval kings also collected taxes.
Because they owned land...

Old 12-02-2017, 06:39 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The anti Trump sore loosers on here should get over it......
Indeed. But they won't. If Trump did go, they'd criticize him for that too.

Fact of the matter is the vast majority of America doesn't care about the hugely privileged and entitled Harry. The absolutely corrupt MSM might say otherwise, but Trump has exposed them as frauds too.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:40 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The anti Trump sore loosers on here should get over it. I don't think he gives a rat's patoot anyway.

I am hearing that the reason for the marriage is that the actress is pregnant. Of course he is doing the honorable thing. Lets count the days until the birth, then we'll know for sure.
It seems an odd choice to announce that there will be a wedding in the spring (May or June) if a woman is pregnant in November.

But we'll count the days... months... until birth all the same.

Trump has made it very clear that he wants audience with the royal family, and they've made it very clear that they want nothing to do with him. The Obama family will get an invite, especially because Harry has done charity work with both Obamas, but it wouldn't shock me if they didn't lower the caliber of their guestlist by inviting Trump whose values (or lack thereof) are nowhere near what Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have demonstrated in their adult lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies