Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 02:55 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
An American girl is becoming a royal princess, I think MILLIONS of Americans will care, especially women. What girl doesn't dream of marrying a prince?

Obviously not many as you seem to think since PH was let down several times and voiced aloud in an interview "nobody wants me".

Maybe if a girl is poor, has stars in her eyes, is a grasping and scheming sort then marrying into the Saxe Coburg-Gotha/Windsor/Mountbatten family seems like a good deal. But there are and have been plenty of young females that have said "no thanks", and walked away.

Besides the real prize in royal matrimonial stakes is the direct heir (Prince Charles, Prince William, etc...) because then a girl will become queen.

Just to be clear on a subtle difference, the Markel woman will become the wife of a royal prince and thus a princess by marriage. While technically a "royal princess" she is not one by right which means all that mostly all she gets as a result of the union will go if divorced. It also means in certain situations the "Princess Harry" will rank below daughters and grand-daughters of a sovereign who are royal princesses by right.

The Duchess of Cambridge for instance must bow curtsey to the York princesses (Beatrice and Eugenie) in their presence when not with her husband. This is mostly likely certain to be the case for MM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...es_by_marriage

Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
I never understood how the British people accept welfare for royals? I mean you're busting your butt all while your tax money goes towards year round fancy vacations for people that really don't do anything productive...except be rich...off you. The Kool Aid must be thick over there...

Old 12-02-2017, 03:23 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I really don't care who goes and who doesn't and I don't think most Americans care either.
Only the "Americans" who still wish they were British subjects and could kneel to their betters.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:32 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I never understood how the British people accept welfare for royals? I mean you're busting your butt all while your tax money goes towards year round fancy vacations for people that really don't do anything productive...except be rich...off you. The Kool Aid must be thick over there...
Indeed.

Very well said.

I'm proud that they don't want Trump and that we have a President who doesn't care.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Try because HM and the RF are some of the biggest money making machines in Great Britain.

Revenue generated by media coverage, tourism and so forth greatly contribute to the British national purse. Fact that Prince Harry's pending marriage is generating so much interest or whatever is proof of that. Further proof can be seen in the fact DT wanted not just a state visit but extensive time with HM, the RF with press coverage for PR purposes and historical record. He could have gone to England as POTUS and not bothered about meeting the Queen (not all POTUS have done so), but there you are then.

Keep in mind that the government receives a large portion of revenue from the Crown Estates, which is more than what gets paid out to HM and the RF.

Overall total sums spent by each British ratepayer amounts to not a huge sum; around 65 pence or so according to recent numbers.

Royal family expenses: Taxpayers pay 56p each for upkeep of monarchy

Here's where the royal family gets their money - Business Insider

Old 12-02-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Try because HM and the RF are some of the biggest money making machines in Great Britain.

Revenue generated by media coverage, tourism and so forth greatly contribute to the British national purse. Fact that Prince Harry's pending marriage is generating so much interest or whatever is proof of that.
These are nothing but opinions given as fact.

The vast majority of the USA is not focused on this silly wedding.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Does not cover the time since Trump became President.

But it is clear that Putin was much more influential than the hapless and out of his league, community agitator, Obama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Not in the eyes of some people.

Forbes magazine has ranked Putin #1 since 2013:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes...owerful_People

The last time Obama was #1 in that ranking was in 2012, and he slipped to #3 in 2015.

Trump improved on that (position of the POTUS/POTUS elect) for 2016, landing at #2.
Trump's position was noted in the post you chose to truncate.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
That's not how it works.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
These are nothing but opinions given as fact.

The vast majority of the USA is not focused on this silly wedding.

Sorry, but no; and if you got out from under that bridge and did some research you'd know:

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-money/278052/

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/14/the-...s-economy.html

One can quibble about the exact sums, but overall yes, the British monarchy does bring in substantial revenue. https://fullfact.org/news/royal-fami...-moneys-worth/

It may not be *your* cup of tea to line up at Buckingham Palace or whatever, but plenty of others seem to have no problems.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Trump's position was noted in the post you chose to truncate.
And I commented on it. It was before he was President.

But still quite fascinating that you choose to ignore that Trump was higher than Obama when Obama was President. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies