Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 05:50 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Rorschach thread. But don't you guys worry. 39 pages about a meaningless wedding invitation tells me some important things.

You're easily distracted while the biggest tax changes in modern US history roll forward.

Pretty much, Trump & Co. seems to be banking on the American public having the attention of a fruit fly and can distract from any important topic by nothing more than tossing a "politcal ball" to the public equivalent of a golden retriever.

Please, don't mistake a little faisant parle to mean many of us are not aware of what is going down in Washington, D.C. Nor for that matter our keen interest in events.

Things are what they are, and that hot mess of a tax bill will play out regardless of what many in the country think or say otherwise. It is Regan and the 1980's all over again; GOP holds the majority in both houses and controls the WH, so absent some GOP members in senate or House looking down and realizing they have a pair; the bill will be reconciled in committee, voted upon again by respective chambers and signed by His Orangeness.

Elections have consequences; people should have considered this when putting GOP in charge and or DT in WH. They are doing exactly what Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell said they would; so why it is such a surprise to many I don't know.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
They're interesting to watch because they're spectacles, and the Brits make such a big deal of them. But I agree--this isn't significant.

Much of the talk will die down until run up of the event (April or March). After the wedding and certainly by this time next year no one will really be paying attention other than the obvious media interest in what the Markel woman is up to as the "Princess Harry" and getting on as a new member of the RF. That will continue until news of a pregnancy, then it will be deja vu all over again.

As noted a few times in this thread the biggest interest at least on the USA side is because Prince Henry chose a biracial American woman over a white European for his bride. That alone was guaranteed to start a great amount of noise.

Prince Harry has long been seen as the more dashing, handsome, rugged, and athletic of Diana's two boys. In the marriage game that he is a royal prince simply upped the ante. That a biracial American actress with a *past* beat out others to the post was bound to cause talk.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,748 times
most americans that are interested in this royal marriage are just that, interested. it does not mean that they are "focused" or "obsessed" or "fanatical" or anything else like that. it is simply something interesting. humans do have the capacity to think about more things than only one topic.

people can be worried about one thing (what's going on here in america and the world) and still find something else just good old fashioned interesting and/or fun fluff. people can also be interested in something and how it works and what is happening without being crazy about it.

i am an american and i think it is just nothing more than interesting to me. it doesn't change my life in the least. but just because i find it interesting and might read an article about them if i come across it, i might even seek out some information about the royal family and what they do! gasp!!! but that does not mean that i am obsessed or that i can't think of anything else but this.

i find it funny that there are people continuing to state how much this marriage means nothing to them, but keep posting in threads about it. when there is a thread topic here that i don't care about, guess what? i don't keep going into that thread, and then continuing to read and post in it. if a topic is of no interest, i don't understand the need to keep posting about how much you are not interested in it. move on if you are not interested! let those who are interested enjoy their fluff.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:15 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There are historical buildings all over France, Spain, Germany, Russia and other European countries that are former monarchies. None of them brings in anywhere near the money on average that the combined effect of still having an active monarchy does for Britain.

France cannot even afford to keep up Versailles and has been seeking ways to increase revenue:
Palace of Versailles forced to put up paying guests - Telegraph

Furthermore as you very well know it is not just the "historical buildings" persons are interested in with regard to HM and or the RF, but the persons themselves. Lord knows media and others have made fortunes off Diana, Princess of Wales and lately her two sons.
Funny you mention Versailles it gets close to 3 times more visitors than the #1 visited UK royal palace (Tower). Top of the list is the Forbidden City, second is La Louvre (we can probably discount it's ranking since it appeals to more than Historians). Topkapi even 'tops' British Royal buildings, as does the Winter Palace in visitor numbers.

So why Versailles needs money, it's not for lack of visitors (7.5M annually). If the Royals were so important, why does the most visited Royal Site in the UK not exceed Versailles or Topkapi, or the Winter Palace all of whom have no current royal family connected to them?

Many people may be interested in the media personalities of the BRF, but that's not bringing in more money than they cost. Further you mentioned the tourism aspect, which I think is debunked as a money spinner, and no you can't gave the Crown Estate either because by any normal law it would be held by the government for the people and not have £35M deducted for the royal parasites.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Funny you mention Versailles it gets close to 3 times more visitors than the #1 visited UK royal palace (Tower). Top of the list is the Forbidden City, second is La Louvre (we can probably discount it's ranking since it appeals to more than Historians). Topkapi even 'tops' British Royal buildings, as does the Winter Palace in visitor numbers.

So why Versailles needs money, it's not for lack of visitors (7.5M annually). If the Royals were so important, why does the most visited Royal Site in the UK not exceed Versailles or Topkapi, or the Winter Palace all of whom have no current royal family connected to them?

Many people may be interested in the media personalities of the BRF, but that's not bringing in more money than they cost. Further you mentioned the tourism aspect, which I think is debunked as a money spinner, and no you can't gave the Crown Estate either because by any normal law it would be held by the government for the people and not have £35M deducted for the royal parasites.
There are no 'Royals' at the Tower of London and since when could you go inside Buckingham Palace or any of the official residences. Versailles is also in the heart of Paris and not on the outskirts of the city like it's UK equivalent Hampton Court, which like the Tower of London has no Royalty in residence.

As for the Tower of London you have to pay £19.40 to get in as opposed to €15 at Versailles, and the most visited places are in actual fact 'free', such as free museums of which London has more than most cities and which are often heavily subsidised unlike in most countries.

10th Anniversary Of Free Admission To National Museums - National Museums

Top 24 Free Museums in London - Things To Do - visitlondon.com

In terms of vising the outside of such Palaces there is no available figure, as it's free to go and pose, take a selfie or watch the changing of the guard.

As for the Royal Family it costs only 62p a year to tax payers, which is a small price to pay rather than have a Politician like Trump as Head of State.

The Royal Family may need modernising but calling them parasites is well over the top, indeed most of the money the Royals get goes to the upkeep of palaces and castles which they don't even own.

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-04-2017 at 04:24 AM..

Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Rorschach thread. But don't you guys worry. 39 pages about a meaningless wedding invitation tells me some important things.

You're easily distracted while the biggest tax changes in modern US history roll forward.

Pretty much, Trump & Co. seems to be banking on the American public having the attention of a fruit fly and can distract from any important topic by nothing more than tossing a "politcal ball" to the public equivalent of a golden retriever.

P.S. OMG did uc Kylie Jenner? OMG....I can't believe E. manning benched.....OMG....emoji emoji emoji.....
You make many assumptions.
  1. That one can only be interested in one topic at a time.
  2. That commenting upon a topic means one is obsessed with the said topic.
  3. That not commenting on a frivolous topic will magically change the abomination that is the most recent tax cuts.

Listen, I know all about these ridiculous changes to our taxes. And there's not a damned thing I can do about it. Nothing. My representatives won't/don't listen to me and yet keep getting voted in time after time. So yeah, if I can take a few minutes a day to chat with others about someone else's wedding and wonder about the dress and other arrangements, I will. I can't influence either. But one story makes me want to puke with worry and the other takes my mind off the toilet my country has become.

I hope we've all fed into your needs.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Good. We don't need our president wasting time on nonsense like this. We've got work to do.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Good. We don't need our president wasting time on nonsense like this. We've got work to do.
We wouldn't want to get in the way of the Golf in Florida, numerous Twitter insults in order to make war with North Korea ever more likely and of course the reposting of ultra right wing groups videos.

Good Luck with that important work.

Trump is going to be invited, it's going to be a smaller event at Windsor Castle, however the US Ambassador Woody Johnson and other representatives of the US will be there.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
We wouldn't want to get in the way of the Golf in Florida, numerous Twitter insults in order to make war with North Korea ever more likely and of course the reposting of ultra right wing groups videos.

Good Luck with that important work.

Trump is going to be invited, it's going to be a smaller event at Windsor Castle, however the US Ambassador Woody Johnson and other representatives of the US will be there.

If there ever was a place HM would call "home" it would be Windsor Castle, next to probably Balmoral. So it truly is gong to be a "small family" affair. Well small and family like as royal wedding can be I suppose.

Since it is *NOT* a state occasion there is no reason to invite DT and his Missus, and maybe not even the American ambassador. What part of "small family" occasion are you not getting through to some of you people?

Now the Obamas are another matter, as myself and others have said, Barack and Michelle grew quite pally with Prince William, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry over the past several years.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-in-pictures

Prince George meets Barack Obama in his dressing gown and pyjamas | Daily Mail Online

Will and Kate in USA: Prince William Meets Obama | Time

Barack, Michelle to dine with the Queen, Kate, William, Harry - CNNPolitics

https://www.today.com/news/prince-ha...school-t118281

'How's Meghan?': Prince Harry and Barack Obama rekindle 'bromance' at Invictus Games

And so it goes...

Some have even said Obama and Prince Henry have a "bromance" going. Maybe after spending so much time with BO or whatever helped the prince decide he wanted himself a *Sister*. *LOL*

In any event as many have made quite clear, there isn't any sort of compulsion to include and or invite any American public official to what is essentially a family event. If there was something on the back burners and the UK wanted/needed something from the USA, Her Majesty's government could strongly advise/push for an invite. But if that were the case His Orangeness would have had that full frontal state visit including meeting HM at Balmoral by now.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I really don't care who goes and who doesn't and I don't think most Americans care either.
From the response's here I think you might be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies