Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Anyone who who didn't get hired because of Affirmative Action deserves reperations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Y'all are some heartless people, but it's a lot of talk due to a lack of education.
So...if'n I got me some edumacation, I'd be inclined to give my money to the ancestors
of people to whom my ancestors (who did not live in this country) did no wrong?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Y'all are some heartless people, but it's a lot of talk due to a lack of education.
Not at all. I'm sorry Heaven, but there is not argument for reparations that you can make. You can not hold people responsible for things they had nothing to do with. There is also no sense in giving money to people who did not suffer as slaves. If reparations were to be paid, it should have been done long ago. I am a white American, but my family did not arrive in this country until after slavery was abolished. So the idea that I or members of my family owe money to people who were not affected by slavery is ridiculous. No one alive today deserves reparations because no one alive today was ever a slave.

Also, just because I feel it is prudent to point this out, pretty much every race on this planet has been enslaved at some point in history. Slavery has been around since before the beginning of recorded history, and still exists today among some native tribes in foreign countries. Often slaves are taken from a defeated enemy, and forced to serve the conquering tribe or group. So my question is, should we start going back through history and pushing for reparations from one group or another for the times in history during which they enslaved a group of people. Or is this just a crusade for the former slaves or this country? I'm just saying, if you are going to fight for reparations, I think we all deserve a piece of the action.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Then let me educate you. Thirty-five million Black Americans would not exist today if chattel slavery had not existed in this country. Slavery was rough for the slaves while they were slaves, but it's the best thing that ever happened to their descendants, and their descendants are the ones you propose to pay "reparations" to.

That would be wrong. There's nothing to repair. Black Americans owe their lives to slavery.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Anyone who who didn't get hired because of Affirmative Action deserves reperations.
They deserve it a hell of a lot more than a descendant of someone who might have been a slave. That won't stop greedy, selfish millennials like the OP from constantly demanding what they didn't earn and have no right to.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Dude I've been doing black genealogical research for over 20 years.

I know what I'm talking about.

And all black people who are alive today if they are black Americans, they can indeed trace their lines back to 1870. 90% of the blacks on the 1870 census were slaves in 1860. Those who were not, you will find on the 1860 census as free people of color. I have both enslaved and "free" ancestors and on quite a few of my enslaved ancestor's lines I have more genealogical information about them than the "free" lines because the slaves were listed in tax, probate, and court records. Please note that I have ancestry from SC in particular which is featured on your link.

Also, I'm not a victim. My parents and grandparents however were survivors and I am grateful to them and my many deep ancestors for their struggles against white supremacy racism. I consider myself to be amongst the first generation born "free" as a black American in this country (born in the 1970s).
"Also, I'm not a victim."

BINGO.

I don't think there is a black person alive today that IS a "victim" of slavery, therefore NO reparations are do.

I'll turn it around and ask, should ALL blacks have to pay us whites for buying them from their black masters, allowed them to come to the greatest county in the world, gave them their freedom, (yes, it took a while) passed an Equal Rights law and ALLOWED them to stay here instead of putting them back on ships and sending them BACK to Africa?

Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
So you don't think the civil war was fought mostly because of slavery??
Causes Of The Civil War | HistoryNet
"So you don't think the civil war was fought mostly because of slavery??"

I do NOT, it WAS states RIGHTS.

And I can post a list of books that say so!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
why are there still people wanting this?
again, my direct ancestors who did not own slaves were raped tortured and murdered by roving bands of Yankee carpet bagging criminals. if anyone gets anything, their decedents should as well.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Then let me educate you. Thirty-five million Black Americans would not exist today if chattel slavery had not existed in this country. Slavery was rough for the slaves while they were slaves, but it's the best thing that ever happened to their descendants, and their descendants are the ones you propose to pay "reparations" to.

That would be wrong. There's nothing to repair. Black Americans owe their lives to slavery.
Did you notice they wouldn't respond to my question about whether or not their lives would be better had their ancestors not been brought here?

Yet they are still looking for a handout.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
Gee. How original. And "Y'all" is not a real word. Talk about education.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies