Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They can allow us to put an embassy somewhere, but they can’t order us where to put our embassy.

Somalia could say we need to put an embassy in the middle of a mine field, but we don’t have to do so.

We can request to put our embassy in a mine field, and they can say yes or no, but neither of us can dictate where an embassy is located.

Is there a specific reason why our consulate in Jerusalem can’t become our embassy and our embassy in Tel Aviv becom a consulate; other than Israel saying no?

I don't know, does Israel ban shell games?

Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yes, from what I could find a number of countries have consulates in Jerusalem while their embassies are in Tel Aviv. IMO Israel should be the determining voice of where the embassies are located.
Have there ever been threats with follow through to embassies in Israel? No. Have there been threats to embassies in Muslim countries? Yes. Shows one where the actual safety and security is. There are numerous verbal threats to Israel yet there is rarely a follow through. There are few verbal threats to embassies in other countries, yet there are attacks. Perceived Reality versus Reality.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,683,117 times
Quote:
It is figured out, and it has been for a long time. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.
OK, now how does this make your life better here at home?

Old 12-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It is figured out, and it has been for a long time. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

And good, bad, or indifferent it's still important to three different religions. Unless all three are accommodated in some way you can bet there will be enough "My god is better than your god" BS to preclude peace in Jerusalem until hell freezes over.

Personally, I think the ME is a cesspool and for the US to think a baby of a country is going to solve conflicts that are hundreds if not thousands of years old is the height of naivete and little else.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:39 PM

923 posts, read 496,278 times
Quote:
Is there a specific reason why our consulate in Jerusalem can’t become our embassy and our embassy in Tel Aviv becom a consulate; other than Israel saying no?

My friends in Jerusalem tell me that this is one of the options being considered.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
They can allow us to put an embassy somewhere, but they can’t order us where to put our embassy.

Somalia could say we need to put an embassy in the middle of a mine field, but we don’t have to do so.

We can request to put our embassy in a mine field, and they can say yes or no, but neither of us can dictate where an embassy is located.

Is there a specific reason why our consulate in Jerusalem can’t become our embassy and our embassy in Tel Aviv become a consulate; other than Israel saying no?
Now you know how the US works. The US will want a new building with all new furnishings and technology.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,200,051 times
Bold move by a man not afraid to make the controversial decisions

Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Have there ever been threats with follow through to embassies in Israel? No. Have there been threats to embassies in Muslim countries? Yes. Shows one where the actual safety and security is. There are numerous verbal threats to Israel yet there is rarely a follow through. There are few verbal threats to embassies in other countries, yet there are attacks. Perceived Reality versus Reality.

From what I read Israel's internal security forces are top notch but I've also read things that make me believe their operations would never be tolerated by Americans at home.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Bold move by a man not afraid to make the controversial decisions
Bold talk, let's see how/if the walk goes.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
From what I read Israel's internal security forces are top notch but I've also read things that make me believe their operations would never be tolerated by Americans at home.
If the US would have had their security protocols in place when I was in Lebanon as a US Marine, I doubt I would have most of the injuries I live with daily since 1983.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 12-06-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies