Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
As a Reminder:
Trump said he will not allow any cuts to SS or Medicare.
Meaning, if the Repubs pass a bill cutting either program then trump is obligated to veto the Bill, per what Cons on here say about him upholding his word.
doesn't matter what ANYONE from ANY party has said, or not said......we NEED to reform and cut the fraud out of the programs, if we want them to last

when you have a budget(for medicare) of 700 billion, and there is at least 100 billion in fraud, waste, and abuse.....something needs to be done

and that can be said for very line item on the whole federal budget.. we have a spending on fraud and waste problem....nation wide...and from both parties

Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Gen X are the ones that get massively screwed. They have been paying the higher tax rates their entire working lives to fund benefits for the Boomers and now that they are getting closer to retirement age, the Boomers in Congress are going to take away a large chunk of the benefits they have spent decades paying for.
Thank you! I'm right on the cusp. I've been working since I was 15 (part-time) and have yet to collect one thin dime.

I'm 56 and wondering if I will EVER get to retire if they keep raising the age. Yes, I do have savings and could retire earlier but I want to leave something for my son if at all possible - give him a safety net. Help him pay off what loans he has . . .

I never thought I would even want to retire but Corporate America isn't always kind to their older employees so you have to be ready for anything.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Everyone is jumping on the word cuts and assuming that they'll pay more out of pocket. The cuts may very well be with caps being set for certain procedures and drugs - not necessarily a cut of services or financial support. They may look more in depth on fraud within both systems which is rampant. You have drs every year just in my area arrested for overbilling. So maybe more audits for the drs who's billing seems questionable.

This is why nothing ever gets accomplished because you jump on the band wagon without knowing all the facts. People then pressure their legislators who won't even listen to the intended revisions or plans because they know they'll lose votes if they decide to side with a reasonable change - just because uninformed people have already made up their minds that this is bad.

There's too much fear mongering on this forum - those of us against the ACA - really were right - but many times the situations do not turn out how they've been presented here.
You mean the alleged cuts Obama made to Medicare ?

It created efficiency benchmarks for hospitals. Those providers failing to achieve the benchmarks recieve a lower reimbursement.

Allowing Medicare to negotiate/ cap prices for prescription meds would help. Heck, Medicare could buy meds from Canada for less. Congress bowed to Big Pharma dusting the Bush years. It was a non- starter in terms of initial ACA debates. And here we are.

Then there's the entire medical supply scam. One can buy a walker from Amazon for $79.95 or take a script to a medical supplier who bills Medicare $ 379.95.

It's all about the lobbyists.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
Medicare isn't free, I pay $536 quarterly, wife pays $136 a month. Then you need a supplemental plan on top of that $300-$600 a month. Start saving people. Figure on $750-$1000 a month.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
doesn't matter what ANYONE from ANY party has said, or not said......we NEED to reform and cut the fraud out of the programs, if we want them to last

when you have a budget(for medicare) of 700 billion, and there is at least 100 billion in fraud, waste, and abuse.....something needs to be done

and that can be said for very line item on the whole federal budget.. we have a spending on fraud and waste problem....nation wide...and from both parties
LOL, I never said that none of these programs do not need reform, in Fact I have stated many times on this and other sites that all the programs need to be reformed. Note I said Reformed, not ended or made into something else that does not provide the same services. Yes, there are abuses using government programs and they need to be kicked off them and it would save us a lot of money, just as reform and even eliminated other programs, such as more accountability in military spending, cutting or ending our habit of sending money to other countries while we discuss cutting our own programs, and yes cutting illegals off any programs they have no right to the money. There is a long list of things that should be reformed and they would save us lots of money, problem is Congress, whether Dem or Repub or both, is not interested in doing the hard work it takes and they sure don't want to do it to their pet programs.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 AM

There are reasons why the US Healthcare System is ranked #47, Iran is ranked # 46.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 AM

975 posts, read 1,406,088 times
Quote:
Gen X are the ones that get massively screwed. They have been paying the higher tax rates their entire working lives to fund benefits for the Boomers and now that they are getting closer to retirement age, the Boomers in Congress are going to take away a large chunk of the benefits they have spent decades paying for.
I don't disagree. I'm 32 and I'm not too worried because I believe that by the time I retire (if I'm able to) there will be a different plan. I'm not delusional to think that Medicare in its current form will be there but I also don't think Ryan's plan will be there either (as it will price too many seniors out of healthcare). If this passes though Gen Xers are probably the ones most effected.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Boomers are 53-71 years old.

Boomers paid the higher rates during their peak earning years.

Boomers paid for the prior generation's benefits.

Millions became eligible for Medicare without having contributed a dome towards it.

Gen X are voters, too.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,242,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Ryan pledges 'entitlement reform' in 2018 | TheHill

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Wednesday said House Republicans will aim to cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid and welfare programs next year as a way to trim the federal deficit.

“We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Ryan said during an interview on Ross Kaminsky's talk radio show.

Health-care entitlements such as Medicare and Medicaid “are the big drivers of debt,” Ryan said, “so we spend more time on the health care entitlements, because that's really where the problem lies, fiscally speaking."

Ryan said he’s been speaking privately with President Trump, who is beginning to warm to the idea of slowing the spending growth in entitlements

But billionaires and investment banks needed tax cuts, right?
Cut welfare in its entirety. Budget balanced.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Thumbs down Ryan aims to cut Medicaid and Medicare in 2018

No surprise here.

Ryan and most of the rest of the GOP absolutely HATE programs that benefit the middle/working classes. They definitely want to get rid of Social Security, too. It's their dearest dream. They don't want a return to the 1950s, when working families prospered. They want the robber baron era of the 1890s when child labor was the rule and wealth concentration was the greatest.

And here's the thing: with both Medicare and Social Security, every working American has been contributing into both programs as a payment separate from federal withholding taxes for decades. Those programs are supposed to be revenue neutral, except that congress loots both of those funds in order to give that money away in the form of tax breaks to their big contributors and corporate interests.

We have all paid for Medicare and Social Security, yet Pubs insist on referring to them as "entitlements."

Their malevolent "tax bill" is just one more confirmation of that intention on their part.

Why does the GOP hate 99% of Americans?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies