Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Except of course all the people in low elevation coastal areas who will find themselves underwater, and all the countries that built up along the coast (read: every country that has a coast) who will have all that investment in infrastructure go to waste, and all the people who are no longer able to survive because the land they used to use for food is now dry and barren.
When ice melts, the water level will not rise. Go try that yourself.

Warmer doesn’t mean drier either!

Did anybody study physics in high school?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That’s not even remotely true.

When ice melts, the water level will not rise. Go try that yourself.

Warmer doesn’t mean drier either!

Did anybody study physics in high school?
I have lived beside a lake that was snow and glacial ice fed -are you saying that the lake didn't rise in spring, as melt rate increased?, because I'm pretty sure the level rose every year, without fail.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I have lived beside a lake that was snow and glacial ice fed -are you saying that the lake didn't rise in spring, as melting increases?,because I'm pretty sure the level rose every year, without fail.
Dude, go learn a thing or two please.

70% of the earth is water. If all the ice in the sea melts, the sea level will rise a whopping 0 inch.

Most of the land is not covered in ice; the ice covered areas are at high altitude, mountains etc. and high latitudes, southern and northern pole etc. Even the ice and snow melt, which literally means we are all cooked due to the effect of height, air and temperature, the water still needs to pass the soil, forests, etc. to reach the sea. At least the water not absorbed, trapped or vaporized. How much will be in the sea? Very little.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Dude, go learn a thing or two please.

70% of the earth is water. If all the ice in the sea melts, the sea level will rise whopping 0 inch.

Most of the land is not covered in ice; the areas are covered are at high altitude, mountains etc. Even the ice and snow melt, which liberally means we are all cooked, the water needs to pass the soil, forests, etc. to reach the sea. How much will be in the sea? Very little.
Most of the ice is on land though, and the volume of water that ice contains, is a known quantity. The water does reach sea, lakes rivers etc, otherwise lakes wouldn't rise in spring, and rivers wouldn't be snow or glacial fed.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Most of the ice is on land though, and the volume of water that ice contains is a known quantity -the water does reach sea, lakes rivers etc, otherwise lakes wouldn't rise in spring, and rivers wouldn't be snowfed.
You are taking about a microlevel. Put it at the global level, it’s like a fart in the desert.

Like I said, for all the ice on land to melt, we are all cooked anyway.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You are taking about a microlevel. Put it at the global level, it’s like a fart in the desert.

Like I said, for all the ice on land to melt, we are all cooked anyway.
Why would the principle change at a bigger level?

Whether or not it all melts, isn't the point -the point is the ice that melts on land, does reach the sea eventually, and logically if more ice is melting than forming, it will have an impact on sea levels.

Or do you disagree with the calculations made about the amount of water in the ice caps, and how much they could raise the sea level by?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:38 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Except of course all the people in low elevation coastal areas who will find themselves underwater, and all the countries that built up along the coast (read: every country that has a coast) who will have all that investment in infrastructure go to waste, and all the people who are no longer able to survive because the land they used to use for food is now dry and barren.
Weren't we supposed to be underwater by now according to Al Gore?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:38 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times
Quote:

It would also mean that we would have longer season to farm.

Global warming is a great thing for humans, not so much for animals.

The number one cause of extinction right now is not climate change - it is lose of habitat due to human activities. Slaughter the humans and save the polar bears!
Maybe it's not so bad for the polar bears after all...
Attached Thumbnails
Don't Believe in Climate Change?-when-al-gore-born.jpg  

Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
I have lived beside a lake that was snow and glacial ice fed -are you saying that the lake didn't rise in spring, as melt rate increased?, because I'm pretty sure the level rose every year, without fail.
I am sorry you don’t understand basic science and math.. water isn’t added into the ocean, it’s just changing from a solid state to liquid state... your lake is getting water added to it via snow...

Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IMO, I believe that climate change is real. No I won't try and convince anyone who already has his/her mind made up about it. To those who believe that it isn't real I honestly hope that you are right about it and I am the wrong that's wrong. This is one of those things I would be more then happy to be wrong about.
I agree with you. But you can't change anyone's mind who doesn't agree with you. We pollute this home we live in and no one seems to care what it does to our planet. We are privileged to live here yet we aren't thankful and abuse it. I think it's only a matter of time when humans become extinct. Then maybe the earth can start over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies