Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,104 times

Advertisements

Multiculturalism is definitely overrated. I don't see how multiculturalism improves the quality of life for anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
Personally, I feel this buzzword that academics and politicians like to throw around has actually done more harm than good.
I really can't be bothered to weed through this thread at this point, but I do want to throw in my two cents.

I've had this argument with Europeans who think they can stick their finger and hold back the tide of change that they laid seed to years ago when they chose to be colonial powers.

Multi-culturalism isn't the invention of academics or politicians, it is in the fabric of every multi ethnic, racial and cultural society in the world. Unless you have a homogenetic population, you will have a culture of the dominate group and as many cultural attributes as you have sub-cultures. Overtime they will adapt aspects of each other, picking those things which are beneficial and rejecting those which aren't.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,818,391 times
Quote:
Another reader brought up the point of multiculturalism on another post and I thought this would be a good time to gauge the feelings of people on this topic. Personally, I feel this buzzword that academics and politicians like to throw around has actually done more harm than good. In Britian for instance, Tony Blair, a former multicultural champion, made a speech essentially declaring multiculturalism over in that country. He said, essentially, that immigrants have a duty to assimilate into their society or they can leave. How do you guys feel on the topic?

Assimilation was the goal of most immigrants who came here legally in the past.... no one called it the "pc" term "multiculturalism". My g-grandparents ( the last of my family to come) spoke german at home and English elsewhere and earned citiznship as soon as possible. Those earlier ( g-g-grandfather fought in the Civil War and died for the country he was trying to make his own; he was not a citizen yet; his 2 children were -- born here and his wife was American born). All others assimilated, in all our families.

If you don't like the culture, the simplist way to avoid assimilation is not to come.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Here's my quote to a poster regarding the issue:

..."How has this 30 year, obsessive, multi-cultural sensitivity agenda, being preached by politicians and academia, actually served our people in America? Hasn't it put more of a focus on our individual differences, rather than our sameness??? While working on my doctorate, I can tell you, I've had so many multicultural sensitivity lectures that I could throw up. They act as if we've never heard this same rant over and over again. My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures". There is a fine line between being sensitive to culture and being ridiculous. We need to recognize that America has its own culture. Rather than trying to embrace many as separate, we should be proud of our culture and make sure that others assimilate into our society and be proud to be our fellow citizens and a part of our unique culture in America."

"If you want to share in another culture, you can go to that country and enjoy it. Drink their wine, speak their language, explore. I've done it many times. It's not closed minded to feel that way IMO. Millions of Americans are starting to wake up from this PC garbage that they have been force-feeding us for years...Okay I'll get off the soapbox now."
Beautiful!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Im more fpr integration bc it involves taking the most important parts of ones culture and incorporating it into the new way of life.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
You've just gotta laugh at all this multicultural whining.

The same people that cry about the evils of multiculturalism will extol the virtues of "southern culture"...a culture that doesn't even exist.

The multiculturalism arguments are really about hypersensitivity over the presence of blacks and Hispanics.

It has nothing to do with culture.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 PM

201 posts, read 148,482 times
Quote:
Another reader brought up the point of multiculturalism on another post and I thought this would be a good time to gauge the feelings of people on this topic. Personally, I feel this buzzword that academics and politicians like to throw around has actually done more harm than good. In Britian for instance, Tony Blair, a former multicultural champion, made a speech essentially declaring multiculturalism over in that country. He said, essentially, that immigrants have a duty to assimilate into their society or they can leave. How do you guys feel on the topic?

Link:
News - Latest breaking UK news - Telegraph
Don't see any real need for it myself. I'm happy in my own mixed up skin.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You've just gotta laugh at all this multicultural whining.

The same people that cry about the evils of multiculturalism will extol the virtues of "southern culture"...a culture that doesn't even exist.

The multiculturalism arguments are really about hypersensitivity over the presence of blacks and Hispanics.

It has nothing to do with culture.
Don't know why anyone might whine about it. We already have it and it has been here since right after the country was founded and is continuing as we speak. There's no stopping it. That's like trying to control nuclear power. It's a science and open to exploration and development in spite of what Washington wants.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Im more fpr integration bc it involves taking the most important parts of ones culture and incorporating it into the new way of life.
The product is degraded though. Look at what's happened to our schools. Many of the really good schools were scoring high on the tests. The government bussed the kids to achieve diversity and equality. The test scores in those once good schools dropped like a lead balloon.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
Don't know why anyone might whine about it. We already have it and it has been here since right after the country was founded and is continuing as we speak. There's no stopping it. That's like trying to control nuclear power. It's a science and open to exploration and development in spite of what Washington wants.
We are not a multi-cultural country per se. We have an identifying culture with sub-cultures living among us. Race has nothing to do with it because we have always been multi-racial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies