Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Ha! You think that smiley will get you off the hook?

I am deeply offended!

You owe me a nice sushi dinner next time I'm on the Peninsula...
Sorry, I sincerely apologize...

I'm not a big fan of sushi, but I'll make do with some miso soup & teriyaki chicken. I know a good place in Santa Clara, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For the record, I don't think it's just "liberals" in general who care about that stuff. Most of the public figures who support it probably are liberal, but don't think we all feel that way!

As for the Pledge of Allegience, well the G-d part wasn't in there to begin with - so yeah, I'd support returning it to the original words, but it's not a huge deal to me. Though I do believe in the separation of church & state, so you can probably guess my overall stance...
Now I'm confused. (lol)

"I don't think it's just the liberals in general who care about that stuff." Care about what? Are people who like Christmas uncaring?

If so, I'm still a little confused especially since uncaring goes against the Christmas spirit ideals. (Peace on Earth, goodwill toward men...)

Okay I can understand if you don't prefer the wording of the Pledge or the National Motto, but would you actually want the government to spend however many millions of dollars extra neccessary to change all the currency, just to "feel" more inclusive?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 AM

603 posts, read 1,996,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Now I'm confused. (lol)
.....but would you actually want the government to spend however many millions of dollars extra neccessary to change all the currency, just to "feel" more inclusive?
Hahaha!!! Excellent point, isn't that just plain dumb? Yes, I don't think this is just the liberals who care about this stuff either, but many in that camp feel that this is offensive to people who are not Christian. I'm a proud, independent (not Dem or GOP), non-Christian American, and it doesn't bother me 1 bit. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that agree with me on that. Let's all pray that rational minds prevail on issues like this.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Now I'm confused. (lol)

"I don't think it's just the liberals in general who care about that stuff." Care about what? Are people who like Christmas uncaring?
LOL... and now you're confusing me back! I meant that it's not just liberals who complain about Christmas, and conversely, not all liberals are against Christmas! Does that make sense? Basically, I was just trying to say that I'm not an "anti-Christmas" Jewish liberal... you won't catch me wearing a Santa sweatshirt, but I'm also not going to protest if someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas." As others have said, it's the spirit that really matters, and I appreciate good wishes no matter how they're worded!

Quote:
Okay I can understand if you don't prefer the wording of the Pledge or the National Motto, but would you actually want the government to spend however many millions of dollars extra neccessary to change all the currency, just to "feel" more inclusive?
No, and I never said it was worth spending money on! I just said that, sure, I wouldn't mind the Pledge being changed. But I also added "it's not a big deal to me", which means I don't necessarily want the government wasting funds on it. As for currency, the motto has never bothered me... I'm just happy to have cash in my wallet, and don't pay much attention to the words on it.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Hahaha!!! Excellent point, isn't that just plain dumb? Yes, I don't think this is just the liberals who care about this stuff either, but many in that camp feel that this is offensive to people who are not Christian. I'm a proud, independent (not Dem or GOP), non-Christian American, and it doesn't bother me 1 bit. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that agree with me on that. Let's all pray that rational minds prevail on issues like this.
LOL... I identify as an Agnostic Jew (yes, it's possible ), and politically I'm somewhere between Green Party & Libertarian - and I'm not one who really cares about this stuff. As stated before, I am in support of separation of church and state, but little things like this aren't worthy of spending government money. If they start requiring that my kids pray in public school, then you'll be hearing from me... but a slogan on the money isn't worth worrying about.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM

944 posts, read 3,955,436 times
Quote:
I identify as an Agnostic Jew... and politically I'm somewhere between Green Party & Libertarian - and I'm not one who really cares about this stuff. As stated before, I am in support of separation of church and state, but little things like this aren't worthy of spending government money. If they start requiring that my kids pray in public school, then you'll be hearing from me... but a slogan on the money isn't worth worrying about.
Yeah, what she said! Except I'm a wanna-be Agnostic Jew.... but I'm trying!

Great post, gooozmooti! (Dang, I keep fouling up your name... )

Old 12-12-2006, 07:09 PM

421 posts, read 348,679 times
Quote:
I personally have never called you a "neo con", but if others have, you have every right to respond as I did... and of course it's offensive to be generalized, as it's a natural human response. I guarantee if I started going off about how ALL Republicans yadda yadda, you'd get a bit peeved. Nobody is 100% immune to how others feel about them, no matter how hard you try to convince us of this.

Yeah, sure, I'm superior to you... This is obviously your own issue, not mine, since I've never brought my education into the argument. I worked for years before going to college, and certainly never thought of myself as inferior during that time. So don't throw that BS at me, please.

If I wanted to correct everyone's grammar and spelling, I'd be spending 24 hours a day online... Once again, this is your own personal issue, since I haven't attacked your intelligence or common sense at all. I am proud of what I've done in my life, but that doesn't mean I regard others at a "lower" level or anything. But in return, you have no right to put me down or call me snotty, simply because I did earn degrees.... that's just another form of a superiority complex, in my opinion.

BTW I never saw your post about your degree, but I guess I proved my point.

I attend the Limbaugh Institude of advanced conservative studies. I don't have a degree because the studies never end Now that's something to brag about!! You don't see me throwing that in your face.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
How do you figure? You might want to take a class in reading comprehension, because you don't seem to be understanding my posts. How exactly did I prove your point?? Seriously, I think you're just making things up now... either that, or you have trouble recognizing sarcasm.

Quote:
I attend the Limbaugh Institude of advanced conservative studies. I don't have a degree because the studies never end Now that's something to brag about!! You don't see me throwing that in your face.
LOLOLOLOL... well, that explains a lot. Does he teach you how to become a hypocritical pill-popper, who makes fun of disabled people?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-12-2006 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Here's my quote to a poster regarding the issue:

..."How has this 30 year, obsessive, multi-cultural sensitivity agenda, being preached by politicians and academia, actually served our people in America? Hasn't it put more of a focus on our individual differences, rather than our sameness??? While working on my doctorate, I can tell you, I've had so many multicultural sensitivity lectures that I could throw up. They act as if we've never heard this same rant over and over again. My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures". There is a fine line between being sensitive to culture and being ridiculous. We need to recognize that America has its own culture. Rather than trying to embrace many as separate, we should be proud of our culture and make sure that others assimilate into our society and be proud to be our fellow citizens and a part of our unique culture in America."

"If you want to share in another culture, you can go to that country and enjoy it. Drink their wine, speak their language, explore. I've done it many times. It's not closed minded to feel that way IMO. Millions of Americans are starting to wake up from this PC garbage that they have been force-feeding us for years...Okay I'll get off the soapbox now."
Absolutely Eloquent...

Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
I was thinking about this comment again, and realized something... you actually proved MY point, because if you didn't know anything about my degrees, how could I have been "shoving it in your face?" Don't you think if I was throwing that around constantly, you'd know and/or would have seen a post regarding my education? Hmmmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies