Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 PM

328 posts, read 240,153 times

Advertisements

I guess I was really sheltered...I lived in a town in rural north central Minnesota...population 764 and there were only caucasians. I'm all for freedom of religion...but seriously, if it actually interferes with other children's education...major flaw. I'm still in major awe...what exactly happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
That was a looooong time ago! I just remember my roommate struggling because she was limited as to what she could do with first graders. You can't spend the entire day teaching only reading, math, science and history. With first graders, you "DO" a lot of things -- like make things and experience things like art projects and play games, etc. Some of these activities conflicted with various children's religions. (Much like the Amish wouldn't allow their children to learn how to use a computer, you know?)

By the way, all of these kids spoke English. Migrant workers in the South at that time were caucasian or black.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:16 AM

603 posts, read 1,996,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
So, does multi-culturalism come to mean Non-Whites to formally White nations? Why should it be only Whites "embracing" this policy?

Do we see Asia, Africa, or the Middle East DEMANDING importation from other ethnic groups? Hardly.

Why should Europe destroy their cultural diversity for "multi-culturalism?"

The word has come to mean "non-Whites to White nations."

Why should we not be able to protect our race and culture? The people who nearly invented the entire modern world and everything it are destroying their values, their race, their culture, and it's wrong.

The vast majority do not want it, but we're being brainwashed into thinking it's great.
While I'm not endorsing this particular post, I think these are serious issues that do need quality debate. Not political rhetoric, but a true, honest debate. Particulary, the fact of traditionally "white" nations demanding diversity in immigration, while other non-white nations do not and in fact many frown upon ethnic diversity (ex: japan). My fear is that this board won't allow this type of free speech. I've had more mundane posts removed for less. Good luck for anyone gutsy enough to try to start a new thread, but beware the PC police...

Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
That was a looooong time ago! I just remember my roommate struggling because she was limited as to what she could do with first graders. You can't spend the entire day teaching only reading, math, science and history. With first graders, you "DO" a lot of things -- like make things and experience things like art projects and play games, etc. Some of these activities conflicted with various children's religions. (Much like the Amish wouldn't allow their children to learn how to use a computer, you know?)

By the way, all of these kids spoke English. Migrant workers in the South at that time were caucasian or black.
I understand, I guess I was just very uninformed. I still think that if people are going to put their kids in public school, they should be aware that there are rules and ways of doing things that should be accepted. If this conflics with one's religion, maybe home schooling would be best. Just a thought.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I understand, I guess I was just very uninformed. I still think that if people are going to put their kids in public school, they should be aware that there are rules and ways of doing things that should be accepted. If this conflics with one's religion, maybe home schooling would be best. Just a thought.
Home schooling isn't an option for extremely poor parents (like migrant workers). The parents have to work. The kids have to be educated.

The South is full of all sorts of crazy religions. It's the "Bible Belt"!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way. My brother and his wife home school four children. My brother works full time and my sister in law works part time when my brother is home at night. If you want something bad enough, there is a way to do it. I'm living proof of that.

All I'm saying is that the public schooling system shouldn't have to CHANGE anything for a religious or ethnic group. The teachers are already underpaid for trying to manage too many misbehaving, disrespectful students. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM

112 posts, read 69,408 times
Quote:
Where there's a will, there's a way. My brother and his wife home school four children. My brother works full time and my sister in law works part time when my brother is home at night. If you want something bad enough, there is a way to do it. I'm living proof of that.

All I'm saying is that the public schooling system shouldn't have to CHANGE anything for a religious or ethnic group. The teachers are already underpaid for trying to manage too many misbehaving, disrespectful students. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.
Your the best!!! A little hard work builds character. We are so spoiled today it's ridiculous. Our parents grandparents are shaking there heads in there graves. Washing machine, dishwasher, remote controls, etc. are all part of our lazy life these days and we still can not find time. We need somebody to remind us of this every once in a while.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Home schooling is a relatively new thing. Years ago, home schooling was illegal because most parents lacked teaching certification. Kids had to go to public or private school. I think this all changed in the 1990s.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 PM

540 posts, read 630,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
Another reader brought up the point of multiculturalism on another post and I thought this would be a good time to gauge the feelings of people on this topic. Personally, I feel this buzzword that academics and politicians like to throw around has actually done more harm than good. In Britian for instance, Tony Blair, a former multicultural champion, made a speech essentially declaring multiculturalism over in that country. He said, essentially, that immigrants have a duty to assimilate into their society or they can leave. How do you guys feel on the topic?

Link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ublair108.xml

Definatley the most hated leftist phrase for this century. The antonym would be "enculturated American" That is one you can believe in

Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
Tony Blair, a former multicultural champion, made a speech essentially declaring multiculturalism over in that country. He said, essentially, that immigrants have a duty to assimilate into their society or they can leave
Blair was right. We don't want immigrants coming over to the UK to carry on their religion. They should do as we do and stop hogging a lot of the profitable business ventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies