Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Yes, kdizzle's quoted post is very well written and summarizes the arguments nicely.

I must agree. In order to celebrate multiculturalism, one must not wipe out cultures in the process. It's rather self-defeating to say one "loves cultural diversity" while attempting to stamp out one's own cultural identity at the same time! We DO have a dominant culture in the USA, we can celebrate IT too, while we're busying ourselves learning about the rest of the world. I don't think these have to be mutually exclusive objectives and thus I tend to disagree with the extremes on both sides of the issue.
That basically summarizes my feelings on this issue too... one of the things I love about this country is it's diversity, and the variety of people you can encounter every day. We may celebrate them, our American traditions, and our own heritages, however we each feel is appropriate. Another great thing about this country is the freedom, where we're actually allowed to acknowledge different cultures. That's why my ancestors fled Russia's oppression, and I'm thankful they gave me the opportunity to live where I can be a proud Jew! But that certainly doesn't make me any less "American", right? I'd hate to see the U.S. turn into a place like old Russia, where you were chastized for being anything the government & majority didn't agree with. But at the same time, I'm not a huge fan of "forced multiculturalism" or the PC Police going crazy. Anyway, these are good points you've all made!

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-14-2006 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 07:58 PM

421 posts, read 348,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That basically summarizes my feelings on this issue too... one of the things I love about this country is it's diversity, and the variety of people you can encounter every day. We may celebrate them, our American traditions, and our own heritages, however we each feel is appropriate. Another great thing about this country is the freedom, where we're actually allowed to acknowledge different cultures. That's why my ancestors fled Russia's oppression, and I'm thankful they gave me the opportunity to live where I can be a proud Jew! But that certainly doesn't make me any less "American", right? I'd hate to see the U.S. turn into a place like old Russia, where you were chastized for being anything the government & majority didn't agree with. But at the same time, I'm not a huge fan of "forced multiculturalism" or the PC Police going crazy. Anyway, these are good points you've all made!

I agree with both of you on this one

Old 12-17-2006, 12:40 PM

211 posts, read 290,432 times
I tell you what, what "diversity" is there going to be when Europe/Au/NZ/Can are not White anymore but have Muslim and Mexican majorities? Where will the diversity be?

Whites are 10% of the world population but the only countries importing large amounts of people from outside the ethnic group.

So when Whites are extinct, where is the diversity? Africa, Asia, etc are LESS diverse than ever, so why are Whites working to end it?

Old 12-17-2006, 12:43 PM

So, does multi-culturalism come to mean Non-Whites to formally White nations? Why should it be only Whites "embracing" this policy?

Do we see Asia, Africa, or the Middle East DEMANDING importation from other ethnic groups? Hardly.

How has it been beneficial to Europe lately? Well, lets see. In countries such as France, UK and Sweden it's led to gang rape, huge surges in violence and crime, and huge amounts of welfare spending and horrible terrorist attacks from Muslims claiming they want Sharia law introduced.

Why should Europe destroy their cultural diversity for "multi-culturalism?"

The word has come to mean "non-Whites to White nations."

Why should we not be able to protect our race and culture? The people who nearly invented the entire modern world and everything it are destroying their values, their race, their culture, and it's wrong.

The vast majority do not want it, but we're being brainwashed into thinking it's great.

I tell you what, when you can tell me how (in the United States) a group comprising 13% of the population but committing over 50% of the violent crime is a good thing -- and I'm sold.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As long as new citizens/residents try to learn English, I don't have too much of a problem with this. And while we're at it, teaching native speakers to use proper spelling and grammar wouldn't hurt.
We should not be forced to adapt to a failed government policy that imports huge hordes of people who hate us, and want us to adapt to them.

Never, and if they (the powers that be) continue to push push push (as well as our newly found immigrant groups screaming and rallying in May for rights they didn't earn nor deserve), Americans might just get fed up and push back.

I welcome that day.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:29 PM

328 posts, read 239,941 times
As a taxpayer, I don't appreciate having to pay for signs, books, menus, etc., being printed in at least two languages. Our predominant language is English and if people would like to be a part of our country, please do it legally and learn the language that we speak. Remember, that's just my opinion....smiles!

Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Also, on that same note, if anybody knows what is happening in Britain for example, where they have a high, non-english speaking, muslim immigration rate from countries like Pakistan for example, this 'embrace' of other cultures has in fact backfired on them.
One of the official languages of Pakistan IS English.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures".
When my college roommate started teaching back in the late '70s, before all this "multiculturalism" and "PC" stuff, she had to treat specific children differently in the classroom because of their unique "circumstances." Much of it had to do with religion, not language. We were in the South and there are religions that don't believe in dancing, field trips, fun of any kind, etc. Other religions have dietary restrictions. The list goes on and on. She had a hard time designing lessons for classes because there were always things certain children weren't allowed to do. (She was teaching first graders at the time.) She also had children as old as nine in first grade because their parents were migrant workers and the kids kept moving. The school was very very poor and it was actually heartbreaking to hear the stories of some of the children.

Anyway, they might blame it on "ethnicity" now, but back then it was usually "religion."

Old 12-17-2006, 10:57 PM

328 posts, read 239,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
When my college roommate started teaching back in the late '70s, before all this "multiculturalism" and "PC" stuff, she had to treat specific children differently in the classroom because of their unique "circumstances." Much of it had to do with religion, not language. We were in the South and there are religions that don't believe in dancing, field trips, fun of any kind, etc. Other religions have dietary restrictions. The list goes on and on. She had a hard time designing lessons for classes because there were always things certain children weren't allowed to do. (She was teaching first graders at the time.) She also had children as old as nine in first grade because their parents were migrant workers and the kids kept moving. The school was very very poor and it was actually heartbreaking to hear the stories of some of the children.

Anyway, they might blame it on "ethnicity" now, but back then it was usually "religion."
I don't agree with that at all...talk about the epitome of political correctness. If one is a citizen of America, regardless of the ethnicity, he/she should not be given "special treatment". Thank you for the information...I honestly had no clue that schools were deteriorating to that degree....well, actually I knew that they were failing miserably, but that's just ridiculous.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I don't agree with that at all...talk about the epitome of political correctness. If one is a citizen of America, regardless of the ethnicity, he/she should not be given "special treatment". Thank you for the information...I honestly had no clue that schools were deteriorating to that degree....well, actually I knew that they were failing miserably, but that's just ridiculous.
Don't forget -- this was in the late 1970s. It started that long ago! And it wasn't called political correctness! It was the issue of having a public school and our country's belief in "freedom of religion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies