Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:38 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

Again, the "middle class" tax cuts only last until 2025. That's 8 years from now. Then what happens?
They get extended, just as the temporary tax cuts under Bush were extended under Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 03:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
When did WE, The People, have things to take them back in the first place?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:22 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Greed.

Greed of voters wanting someone else to pay for their stuff.
Of course there's NO greed in corporations that get their stuff permanently while the people only get their sops for 8 years, right?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Quote:
Greed.

Greed of voters wanting someone else to pay for their stuff.
I believe you are greatly mistaken. Greed looks like permanent tax cuts for the corporations and the 1% while once again the middle class will pay more when their tax cuts expire. Also wanna bet they start talking about cutting medicaid for the poor, sick,old and kids and those lazy people who live a great life on welfare? The poor and middle class always eventually pay for the rich. Let the trickle down begin.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
When are We the People going to take things back?

We already did that.
Yes but now we need to take back the country from the Tea Party.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:29 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
There is no "we" anymore. There is the Dems vs. Repub's. The left vs. right. Women vs. men. White vs. black. Gay vs. straight. Everyone is classified by some group. Only when we are citizens of the USA regardless of group and doing what is right not what we are told to do by the politicians, the media, and Hollywood will we get anywhere. I blame the internet. The brainwashing started back when AOL launched in 1989 (?) and 20 million people got access to information good or not.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:

This probably goes way over your head, but only SPENDING causes debt.
I dunno, I've heard divorce causes debt.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:35 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
A nation is at or near the top for too long, people become very content with life, hard to get them too riled.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:28 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The new tax bill has an expiration date for us "regular" folks (expiration date: 2025). So, it will only "help" us for a limited time period.

When the tax cuts disappear for regular folks but the ones for corporations keep right on ticking (since they're permanent), sure, I think there might be at least some people who get upset.

That's one of my objections to the tax bill. If it's to make things better for the "middle class" then why do the benefits expire for us, while the ones for corporations don't?

Don't get me wrong. I'm as happy as the next person to line up for my tax "cut" but I'll be banking any extra I get out of it to tide me over when it expires and we move on to the next "great thing for the middle class."
BBM~~ to address

Whatever increases you may get will be gobbled up pretty quick given the actual COL increases exponentially ++.. So at the very least you may be able to keep your head above water.. FAR from ability to get ahead or save whatever pittance take-home pay you get.

I've experienced that in my lifetime.. and Yep... as a Kid.. norm was Father worked.. MOM stayed home to raise kids and do home things while " Breadwinner" worked to pay for having material and things needed to maintain "Household"... within 20 years.. COL increased for majority that forced both middle class and yes even upper middle-class because even their costs escalated so much, that incomes could NOT keep up to afford whatever contracts/transaction decision they had made. Interest rates rose to above 10-11% for mortgages.. Credit card interest increased to levels that WAS called back in the say " Loansharking levels" and many had difficulty managing child rearing & care. Sure they Loved their kids.. BUT were Missing in action while surrogates ( some good.. some NOT so Good) were left to care and deal with those constant changing challenges!!

Overall impression..many dupe some feel better seeing those few dollars in paycheque.. BUT by next election day... COL would more than wipe that out.. HC will become un-affordable and once again the top 1% and Corporations will benefit and thumb their noses at the swiss cheese ( loopholes that remain) of regulations that would hold them to account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I received raises from my employer(S). Yes. I went from making $20k in 2008 to $69k in 2017. My income increased every year since 2008. Not all with the same employer, but there were opportunities for advancement in my industry and I saw steady employment throughout in the Northeast and the South.
The only reason you advanced on the pay grade is because YOU obviously had whatever credentials and likely upgraded them as time moved on that Employer's of the 21st Century are NOW looking for. Education and maintaining the upgradings is important. Course, those people would worked in whatever industry.. and never upgraded their skill-set.. ultimately became defunct. Then those in those jobs, couldn't AFFORD to take courses or learn another TRADE... Meanwhile, with today's automation, and computers (IT) able to do what many worked at .. those jobs too went down the toilet.

The problem as I see it is.. Defunding education and Corporations that don't hire replacements ( because they have someone versus a dozen not now required to operate the Data Systems) as computerization has assumed those jobs!! This is what's going on right now.. with funnelling $$$ > Corporate... and although higher bracket pays most generally.. They have right-offs and loopholes to enable them to Gain Gain... Middle-class and the Poor are still unable to afford upgrading and ability to absorb the daily COSTS let alone SAVE for the Future!

I sure hope some sanity prevails after this past year's horrific rhetoric/actions/Swamp Creatures looting Taxpayer's Coffers! I't time ALL voters go to the ballot box... even IF blockages may be raised constantly by some State Legislature!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies