Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Our society has a habit of taking two steps backwards for every one step forward in fuel efficiency technology. Most Americans today prefer to live in a gated McMansion community miles and miles from their jobs, and they prefer to make that commute in a low MPG SUV.

The American Dream(TM) is to live in a 3500sq foot home in a gated community 60-90 miles from work. That commute is to be made in nothing less than a Hummer or Excursion.
I do live 40 miles from my office - and, its wonderful. No city noises. No traffic noise. Actual stary nights.

I do drive my SUV to work - it gets around 26 in city - and, its not that small (VOLVO XC90).

And, we do have a new home - solid Adobe bricks - a little over 4000 sq ft - but, not in a gated community

So, what's your point? That Americans should not be able to do what pleases them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Americans will do what they please as long as they can afford it.
It will take the system crashing down before we change.

American is going to implode from debt.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:09 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Good list. However, you forgot to add oil thirsty people in large SUV's.
That is a very good observation. We, as Americans, should use energy wisely and adopt multifaceted strategies/practices to mitigate our consumption/dependancy regarding oil

Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
China and the dropping dollar are the two largest reasons for higher oil prices. It is a combination of increased world demand and the inverse relationship of the dollar/world clearing price.

Instead of drilling for more we should just set our national initiative to find a way to develop alternate renewable energy products. Germany has jumped into solar in a big way and plans to have a minimum of 20% of its electricity generated by this method by 2020. We currently have a total of 1% coming from solar, wind, and other green sources.

It's time to step up. We set an initiative in the 60s in our race to the moon, we should set a similar initiative for becoming energy independent. We shouldn't let our national security and prosperity be held to the motivations of other players such as the Middle East, China, and Russia to name a few.

We need to step beyond the influence of some of our multinational conglomerates who are fattening the pockets of the few at the expense of the many.
We need to stop compareing Germany to the USA. The attached link doesn't even list them seperate from the EU. 20% to them is like 1% for us????? Notice also the projections for Asia. They'll use alot more electricity then we do
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/pdf/ieoreftab_9.pdf

Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM

558 posts, read 385,397 times
Default Are we blaming others for our thirst for oil and gas?

What I don't understand, is why I so some many BRAND NEW trucks and SUVS. I don't think Amercians get it? Or do they, but don't care?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
What I don't understand, is why I so some many BRAND NEW trucks and SUVS. I don't think Amercians get it? Or do they, but don't care?
Because - people want them? Best reason I can think of.

Its a free country

Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
OPEC;investors in commodies;the people using gas that keep using more and more each year;the competition for oil by rising economies like china and india that out strip US per centage increases each year;the fact that US is no longer a supplier really and now the lower value of the US dollar.Everybody say there is plenty but the experts; the government and ones selling alternatives that are more costly at this time.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
What I dont understand is why there are so many brand new cars period. Who the heck is buying $40,000 cars when you can get a used one just a couple of years old for 1/3rd that cost.. I refuse to buy them new, which gives me pleanty of funds for gas.. No car payment = $400 a month to spend in fuel!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
There is always this vehicle, due out in November which claims to get 320 MPG for the hybrid, and cost $29,900 Aptera
http://www.aptera.com/images/SafteyCageRender.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is always this vehicle, due out in November which claims to get 320 MPG for the hybrid, and cost $29,900 Aptera
http://www.aptera.com/images/SafteyCageRender.jpg (broken link)
Cool pictures. I heard about this vehicle yesterday on the radio and was wondering what it looked like. Can't wait to see what happens in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies