Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times

Advertisements

The fundamental forces behind the current surge in prices have been at play for 35 years. Anyone who continues to deny that large increases in demand for a finite resource is NOT the prime factor is simply living in a state of self-delusion.

If there's any blame, it goes to unrestrained population growth coupled with this insane "use it all up right now" mindset.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I choose where I live because of my surroundings, schools, and HOME. I don't choose it because of the price of gas or what other people think... I drive what I drive because I enjoy driving it, I guess I could be miserable driving something I don't like or living in a place I don't love... I prefer not to be miserable... oh, it just so happens I like to drive a hybrid... and it wasn't because of gas prices... if I like to drive a gas guzzler, then so be it, but I wouldn't complain about gas prices either... I drive what I like and I live where I love to live in.. that means forget the 200 sq feet apartments and broken down houses...

Wow you sound like an American... someone who chooses his own choices and lives with them. AS long as the government doesn't regulate what car you can drive and were you should live I think those idea of thinking works. It works because it always had worked in the past because the government wasnt controlling these things. Now they do they pay for corn and cause the price of corn and other gas to go up. They destroy our dollar and dont believe in free markets. An America who will pursuit happiness and live where they live and drive what they want will have cheaper products. England has 7 or 8 dollar gas and that is because of Government.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The fundamental forces behind the current surge in prices have been at play for 35 years. Anyone who continues to deny that large increases in demand for a finite resource is NOT the prime factor is simply living in a state of self-delusion.

If there's any blame, it goes to unrestrained population growth coupled with this insane "use it all up right now" mindset.

population growth USA declined.
population growth china declined (by govt mandate, 1 child per couple only, remember?)

all material things are finite, nothing I've said disputes that statement. change, however, is infinite. What do you want to be when you grow up is a lifelong question if you plan on being around a while.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Iagree that it is that more and more peole in the world can now afford things like cars etc that consume energy. That conbined with the mprelimited;harder to extract and therefore more expensive cost has come to a head.It also will happen with food as more peole in many countries will want more than a daily bowl od rice and they will be able to pay for it.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
population growth USA declined.
population growth china declined (by govt mandate, 1 child per couple only, remember?)
Actually, the populations of both countries have grown tremendously. In the period from 1950-1995, China grew by over 665 million while the USA grew by nearly 110 million.

Table C1_3: Country Ranking: Pop. Increase (http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/Papers/gkh1/tabc1_3.htm - broken link)

Quote:
all material things are finite, nothing I've said disputes that statement. change, however, is infinite.
Change is dependent on many things and is probablistic, not infinite.

Quote:
What do you want to be when you grow up is a lifelong question if you plan on being around a while.

OK...

Old 06-02-2008, 11:00 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Who's to blame for the high price of Oil and Gas?

Bush? The Congress? Bin Laden? The mortgage meltdown?
Liberals and the environmentalist. We could have been drilling more years ago and wouldn't be where we are today. Long live the spotted owl.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Actually, the populations of both countries have grown tremendously. In the period from 1950-1995,Table C1_3: Country Ranking: Pop. Increase (http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/Papers/gkh1/tabc1_3.htm - broken link)
excellent! so this means the social security pyramid is no longer inverted onto one narrowed down generation, and can infinately sustain itself. ty for the happy news.

three cheers for immigration hip hip hooray!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
excellent! so this means the social security pyramid is no longer inverted onto one narrowed down generation, and can infinately sustain itself. ty for the happy news.
The only one talking social security here is you.

Quote:
three cheers for immigration hip hip hooray!
You're all over the place. In only one post.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:17 PM

413 posts, read 782,860 times
Why, In China, Gas Is $2.49 A Gallon - Forbes.com

Donald Straszheim, "global investor" (profession speculator) whining about Beijing attempts to keep gas prices lower than $3 a gallon.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 PM

It has been almost 35 years since the first oil shock in October 1973. At that time, OPEC raised oil prices from $2.71 per barrel to roughly $8 per barrel--and we still don't have an energy policy. What's the hurry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies