Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times

Advertisements

I've posted stuff before from their website, here is their link:

Aptera (http://www.aptera.com/details.php - broken link)

Popular Mechanics review of Aptera, along with a test ride video:

300-mpg, Electric Aptera Typ-1 Ready for 2008 Production, Not Jetsons Remake: First Look - Popular Mechanics
Aptera Electric Typ-1 e - Video Test Drive - First Look Details and Slideshow - 300 MPG - Popular Mechanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
The concept for the Aptera is great, but unfortunately thats not the type of car that most Americans want.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The concept for the Aptera is great, but unfortunately thats not the type of car that most Americans want.
You generally don't get optimal products right out of the box, you need to start somewhere. This will likely appeal to a limited audience, but if they end up getting good reviews in operation it could lead to expansion and improvement of the technology.

If you view oil as a problem, this is a potential step in the solution.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I've posted stuff before from their website, here is their link:

Aptera (http://www.aptera.com/details.php - broken link)

Popular Mechanics review of Aptera, along with a test ride video:

300-mpg, Electric Aptera Typ-1 Ready for 2008 Production, Not Jetsons Remake: First Look - Popular Mechanics
Aptera Electric Typ-1 e - Video Test Drive - First Look Details and Slideshow - 300 MPG - Popular Mechanics
Thanks for the info. I'm sure many people will be interested in this alternative. It's an interesting car not only because of its fuel saving factors but the design aspects are killer too!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 AM

116 posts, read 436,790 times
Default Mostly the Bush Administration and its lack of enforcement of Anti Trust Laws

Congress for not supporting a requirement that cars get better gasoline mileage. Bush for not pushing real energy legislation through Congress. The Federal Government for not enforcing anti trust legislation that would have created more competition in the energy industry. The Bush Administration for not looking into price fixing and manipulation of energy supplies. The Oil Companies for not spending enough money on research and development of new energy supplies. Americans for driving to much for silly reasons in SUV's

Old 03-22-2008, 08:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm sure many people will be interested in this alternative. It's an interesting car not only because of its fuel saving factors but the design aspects are killer too!

I could see these taking off one day, especially if a 4-door version comes out. For them to really take off though, there would need to be an SUV version.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Congress for not supporting a requirement that cars get better gasoline mileage. Bush for not pushing real energy legislation through Congress. The Federal Government for not enforcing anti trust legislation that would have created more competition in the energy industry. The Bush Administration for not looking into price fixing and manipulation of energy supplies. The Oil Companies for not spending enough money on research and development of new energy supplies. Americans for driving to much for silly reasons in SUV's
You must be liberal...

"Congress for not supporting a requirement that cars get better gasoline mileage".

First, Congress helped cause this mess (note the previous list)
Second, They did legislate a mileage increase, an increase thats not even practicle.
Third, You dont need government to dictate mileage.. last I checked there was a huge race to provide higher MPG vehicles without governmental influence.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I could see these taking off one day, especially if a 4-door version comes out. For them to really take off though, there would need to be an SUV version.
I don't know. I bought SUVs before they were popular back in the mid 80s. Prior to that I bought Subaru's before they went mainstream. I recently gave up my SUV for a small Subaru Impreza. I traded my pickup for a minivan for long trips and towing (3800 lb towing package) a couple of years ago.

After having 3 SUVs and 2 pickups in the last 25 years I was ready for something new. They have their pluses and minuses but I'm finding the minivan much more useful for my family. I have a utility trailer that fits the need of a pickup for my uses. My wife finds the Impreza is more maneuverable than her Grand Cherokee and much easier on gas.

Since my wife and I don't commute to work very long distances by car it really wouldn't be worth purchasing an Aptera for that purpose. I travel 12 miles RT a day and my wife 2 miles to and from the commuter bus lot.

For those commuting long distances alone or with one passenger this vehicle could provide some nice savings in fuel costs.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:33 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Development in China and India (primarily, other countries involved too) helped push up worldwide demand, and Russia has clamped down on production and distribution via Gazprom taking over the privately held oil and gas exploration and transportation companies.

EU tries to turn 'energy weapon' against Gazprom - International Herald Tribune

World Energy Outlook Sounds The Alarm - Forbes.com
Indeed, you could call it the "perfect storm", I would add that if we were producing all of our own potential oil, it would be a totaly different picture!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,447 times
I didn't read the thread, hence, not sure if this was already mentioned.

However, Nigeria is responsible for the spark of a few cents. They were being invaded a week or two ago (or something like that) and had to stop refining as much Oil.

Sure, it may seem like a few cents.. but, say that happened to 5 countries. That can easily boil over to 10, 15, even 20 cents+.
(And, when it comes to gas, every cent is worth calculating).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies