Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 09:00 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
tax bill is done, it was sold before it was passed, the whiners won't like anything he does, America realizes that. He's moving on to bigger issues. President Trump isn't satisfied doing nothing like Obama did. Trillion dollar infrastructure. Dems better climb aboard the Trump Train, or get left out.
This is the kind of nonsense that permeates the Republican political realm today, as though cutting taxes is really a valid answer to our economic problems. "Make the little people happy" and the pols can steal all they want at the highest levels. Unlike the OP, I know the Dems are just as morally corrupt as the Pubs. There is only one train to get on here, and that's the train to foolsville, where every person believes the hype of those in the political theater.

Allowing the fools to keep more of their money, and then promising to do more with less money is proof that fools are the bane of real democracy. So yeah, get on that train, ride it to the wonderful town where less money means more buying power, where up is really down, where all the men are stupid, and all the ladies are shopping, the kids are on their phones.....And Donald J Trump is the emperor without any clothes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Now, I rather liked the final bill signed into law, compared with what was initially proposed. Of course, I thought that getting rid of the individual mandate was wrong (Insurance 101: you need a wide base of insured), and I am suspicious of tossing in drilling in that Arctic preserve.

My main objection, like many, is that such tax cuts are used as a stimulus to the economy, and the economy, as per Mr. Trump's past tweets, is doing very well.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/12/...s-twitter-feed

As for the national debt, I guess that we can forget ever getting such under control. It shall, of course, get worse as interest rates rise, even if all else remained the same. As the pundits have stated, the debt shall become the Number One priority of the GOP once Democrats are back in power. It is an oddity.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:42 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
This is the kind of nonsense that permeates the Republican political realm today, as though cutting taxes is really a valid answer to our economic problems. "Make the little people happy" and the pols can steal all they want at the highest levels. Unlike the OP, I know the Dems are just as morally corrupt as the Pubs. There is only one train to get on here, and that's the train to foolsville, where every person believes the hype of those in the political theater.

Allowing the fools to keep more of their money, and then promising to do more with less money is proof that fools are the bane of real democracy. So yeah, get on that train, ride it to the wonderful town where less money means more buying power, where up is really down, where all the men are stupid, and all the ladies are shopping, the kids are on their phones.....And Donald J Trump is the emperor without any clothes....
This tax bill had nothing to do with Trump. Trump was just there to sign it. The Republicans have been dreaming of doing this for years now. Every so often they keep selling trickle down economics and as you see on here and throughout the Republican party people STILL BELIEVE IT WORKS! and even more bonkers all lot of these middle are you average joe middle class. Like the rich give a **** about you? There is no such thing as trickle down. It's trickle up.

No surprise the Trump cult likes this bill. They hate government especially the federal government. Even if they're saving a few hundred dollars to them it's a win since it's less money to the government. As soon as they need the government then they want the help from it....Cannot have it both ways.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
This tax bill had nothing to do with Trump. Trump was just there to sign it. The Republicans have been dreaming of doing this for years now. Every so often they keep selling trickle down economics and as you see on here and throughout the Republican party people STILL BELIEVE IT WORKS! and even more bonkers all lot of these middle are you average joe middle class. Like the rich give a **** about you? There is no such thing as trickle down. It's trickle up.

No surprise the Trump cult likes this bill. They hate government especially the federal government. Even if they're saving a few hundred dollars to them it's a win since it's less money to the government. As soon as they need the government then they want the help from it....Cannot have it both ways.

Nothing "trickles" anywhere and trickling up or down misses the point. Justice is the point. If people and corporations (which are groups people organized to do business), get to keep more of the money they earn and own, justice is served.

If redistribution is reduced, justice and fairness is served.

Trashing the Obamacare mandate, which allows the State to order people to buy things, whether they want them or not, is justice. The State should not be ordering young people to buy insurance so that they can take their money to hand it over to older people. Justice was served by repealing the tyranny of this State overreach.

Allowing drilling in the Arctic wilderness is justice. The State has no business declaring huge swaths of real estate to be public parks so as to control that land and remove it from the private market. Now that land is on a path where it will eventually help us to be totally energy independent of the savage mystical theocracies of the Middle East. I want to see us achieve a state we import NOT ONE DROP of oil from these backward regimes.

So this tax bill got a lot of things right. I don't care about money "trickling" anywhere. I want those who make themselves productive and are a value to others and earn money to KEEP what they earn and not be forced to hand it over to anyone else under penalty of imprisonment.

Collectivism is an holocaust, and a bill like this reverses it just a little bit. Of course the collectivist Left hates this bill because they are all about envy and compulsion and redistribution. So any reversal of redistributive tyranny is a tragedy that needs to be loudly bemoaned. And that is exactly what we are hearing. Envy and hatred of the productive, hatred of the economic system of the productive: Capitalism. And above all hatred of freedom and individualism.

Hearing the collectivists squeal in pain is certainly one of the best parts of this tax bill. It's a good sound to hear during the festive Holiday season.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:20 AM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Who pays for it when a train goes off the rails or a bridge collapses ?
Well this was on of Trumps promises.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:30 AM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Who pays for it when a train goes off the rails or a bridge collapses ?
This is not a natural disaster.

Honestly I think your state should pay for your natural disasters instead of relying on the federal government. We are tired of paying for you guys who have disasters such as tornadoes and hurricanes

Old 12-24-2017, 04:18 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Getting rid of the mandate should get over huge with the general public. Why should I be forced to pay a fine for not getting insurance? How stupid is that?

And anyone complaining about "$20/week savingz, Y isnt it more LOLZ" that can go towards a bill, new clothes, car maintenance, transit fare, extra food, etc. I'm saving less yet I'm all for keeping as much of MY money as I can.

Out of control spending has more to do with the debt than tax cuts. These alphabet soup agencies/worthless programs have gotta go. I think going crazy on military spending is unnecessary as someone who voted for The Donald. SS shouldn't be a requirement for employees' paychecks.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
New tax law, voted for in the middle of the night, hand scribbled notes in the margins you could not read, pages "x'ed" out where people were not even sure if it was part of the document or not, hundreds of pages presented just a couple of hours before it was voted on so no one really had any idea what was actually in it ...

what could possible go wrong?

Old 12-24-2017, 04:49 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I have posted before that if someone's screen name includes words like "informed" or "truth" or "fact" or "patriot" or anything like that, they may as well be a used car salesman named "Honest Eddie"!

They are hiding something, but only from themselves!
A truer statement has never been spoken.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:09 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I don't think so, more like "on to cutting social programs in 2018". I don't think infrastructure is happening
Oh good. Those programs are the biggest waste of money. Any thing welfare related should be gutted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies