Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 06:31 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times

Advertisements

Democrats hate improving your child’s education.... ironic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 07:17 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
No reason that money shouldn't be tax deductible.
They just took away other deductions (like charity) and put this in.
The skunks.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Wealthy families that send their children to private school can now shield large amounts of gains from taxes, depending on the amount of time and principal that can amount to large sums over time. Once again this benefits the wealthy that send their children to private schools that can cost $20,000 a year just for high school. That is money that will be lost revenue for the state and damage public education.

Even prior to this the benefit was largely for wealthy families for use at the college level, this should never have been expanded.
Shouldn’t we put a 50% tax on going to college? Not doing so takes away tax funds that can be used to help people.

I’m with Goodnight; we should place massive taxes on getting an education so the government has more money to spend.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:48 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Shouldn’t we put a 50% tax on going to college? Not doing so takes away tax funds that can be used to help people.

I’m with Goodnight; we should place massive taxes on getting an education so the government has more money to spend.
It's amazing what the partisan left wingers come up with, isn't it?

I guarantee you that if this deduction had been implemented by Obama and the Democrats, "Goodnight" would be singing its praises.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:57 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
It makes sense. Why should the savings plan just be for college? Isn't K-12 education just as important, if not more so? It's disappointing that the dems were able to defeat the homeschooling provision. Why the war on homeschooling?
One function of public schools is indoctrination. But your question was probably rhetorical and you probably already knew that.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:03 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
This is terrific news. More school choice without the mess of public school system charter schools. The NEA will hate this. Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Tucked into that fast tracked tax "reform" bill was a provision sponsored by Ted Cruz that allows those participating in 529 college savings programs to use those funds for private K-12 education. It survived the committee process and thus became law.

What this means is the rich/wealthy (ones most likely to have the income to divert into 529 savings schemes *and* file taxes that allow them to deduct the savings) will get essentially to divert public money to private education. The "public" part comes from the savings on personal income taxes that are a result of the deduction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/y...te-school.html

​New tax law expands options for parents participating in 529 plan

Religious groups (mainly Orthodox Jews and Catholics), along with wealthy households long have pitched for some sort of local or federal tax deduction for K-12 tuition, now they have it.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times
You really think $10K/year is going to change the bracket of "the wealthy" ?

No, this benefits the middle class folks that send their kids to private school or considered doing it.
This actually makes sending their kids to private school more affordable.

The NYT article seems very biased..that only "the wealthy" send their kids to private school.

Here's some FACTS about the 529 plans:

Less than 3% of Americans have 529 plans for their kids.
The median income of these participants is $142K/year.
The average balance in these accounts is $19K.

The above FACTS are courtesy of the GAO office.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:26 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

No, this benefits the middle class folks that send their kids to private school or considered doing it.

The NYT article seems very biased..that only "the wealthy" send their kids to private school.

Good points. We have been lectured for months now about how 150-300k is considered middle class in coastal blue states, and how they would be devastated from losing SALT deductions. So middle class dems should be jumping for joy that the Cruz amendment was passed. Now they can save for K-12 private school tuition tax free.

What's hilarious is how dems like to move the bar that defines who is wealthy, depending on the narrative they are trying to sell.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:30 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

So, first let me say that this change does not bother me. I don't care. But...I was a middle class parent who paid to put two kids through private school (Grades 4-12) because my public schools were pretty bad. I paid a lot of money. I was paying so much money that I actually didn't have a dime to put toward a 529 plan so that college would be paid for. I live in a high COL area and was making a dual income of about $140K per year with two kids in private school.

So while this change will benefit people who actually have the 529s that are funded, most people in my circle would have never had the ability to use it. It really is for the very upper middle class or the wealthy who can fully fund those 529s from the start.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:37 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So, first let me say that this change does not bother me. I don't care. But...I was a middle class parent who paid to put two kids through private school (Grades 4-12) because my public schools were pretty bad. I paid a lot of money. I was paying so much money that I actually didn't have a dime to put toward a 529 plan so that college would be paid for. I live in a high COL area and was making a dual income of about $140K per year with two kids in private school.

So while this change will benefit people who actually have the 529s that are funded, most people in my circle would have never had the ability to use it. It really is for the very upper middle class or the wealthy who can fully fund those 529s from the start.
Nobody in your circle was making 150k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies