Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:36 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There is a subtle "alpha" aspect to Asians, both male and female, that I think people are missing.

"He bum, he no pay, he no tip, not good customer, very bad."

I love that kind of directness!

Just for that, I could never dislike Asians.

They're my kind of people.
For the record, that's how our sentencing structure works in our own languages. You guys can make fun of how we talk all you want. We will laugh with you while we walk to the bank while you guys have to worry about your daughters getting pregnant at 16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
"Americans"?

So the "East Asians" in Hollywood who are U.S. citizens are "Not Americans"?
Not if they live in a "Chinatown" and have a closed-off micro society and make little to no effort to assimilate. They're "Americans" in name only in that case.

Not too many east asian actors/actresses in the entertainment industry As a group, their emotional range isn't the same as other races. And their isn't as much individual variance within East Asian populations either.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Not if they live in a "Chinatown" and have a closed-off micro society and make little to no effort to assimilate. They're "Americans" in name only in that case.

Not too many east asian actors/actresses in the entertainment industry As a group, their emotional range isn't the same as other races. And their isn't as much individual variance within East Asian populations either.
You know, some would argue that it is un-American to not be able to distinguish between "there", "their", and "they're".

Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
For the record, that's how our sentencing structure works in our own languages. You guys can make fun of how we talk all you want. We will laugh with you while we walk to the bank while you guys have to worry about your daughters getting pregnant at 16
I agree. We should be more Asian, culturally speaking.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I agree. We should be more Asian, culturally speaking.
No, please don't.

There are aspects of my culture that I can't stand. Frankly, I think there are aspects of our culture that are detrimental to our overall well-being.

How about we combine the best parts from both worlds and leave out the bad parts?

Old 12-30-2017, 10:54 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
No, please don't.

There are aspects of my culture that I can't stand. Frankly, I think there are aspects of our culture that are detrimental to our overall well-being.

How about we combine the best parts from both worlds and leave out the bad parts?
That's a good idea. There are bad parts of my culture as well.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:14 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
I like where this conversation is going. Asians and whites should marry more!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I like where this conversation is going. Asians and whites should marry more!
Ya, I'm engaged to a white guy now. Go figure...

Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post

OMG I don't know whether your comment is ignorant or racist.

First of all, the vast majority of Asian Americans today do not live in Chinatowns. In fact Chinatowns are now business places and very few long-term residents live in those places.

China, Japan and Korea all produce lots of great actors/actresses. Many of them won international awards in film festivals in Europe.

Your last sentence literally says Asians are all the same. Typical racist/ignorant comment.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This may explain why East Asians can hardly get promotion, and there is no East Asian hero in Hollywood movies.
-------------

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...eaders/257135/

The dominant East Asian employee was more disliked than the non-dominant East Asian employee, the non-dominant White employee, and the dominant White employee. A separate trial showed that participants held descriptive stereotypes of East Asians as being competent, cold, and non-dominant, while another showed that the most valued expectation of East Asians was that they "stay in their place."
Most East Asian Americans are ethnically Chinese and, let's face it, the Chinese have some cultural traits that are bound to rub Westerners the wrong way. I suspect this is mostly about disliking "rude" Chinese people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies