Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:52 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The title of the article has "North America" not "Canada". Canada and America have very similar cultures and social structures. The transfer of research result is natural and convincing. Of course you can argue against it. I have no problem with that. Why do you pretend not to understand it?

Puhlease. It is absolutely 100% clear you haven't even read the paper. You were trying to use the term 'Americans' in your OP to insinuate that this was pertaining to people from the United States. You were led astray by your Atlantic article because the author of that article failed to mention details such as this was only from a Canadian institution from people living in Canada. Now, since it's obvious you haven't even read the study, you're trying to back track and claim that what you originally meant by 'Americans' was to encompass everyone from North America. Almost no one uses the term 'Americans' to mean everyone from the continent of North America. Quite being disingenuous. You are also making a vast assumption that some scientific finding in Canada should also probably hold true across the US as well 'because their cultures are similar'. What do they say about assumptions again? Assuming something to be true without any data to support your hypothesis isn't science.

Quote:
Every research has its limits. I cited a research paper, subject to peer reviews and published in an accredited journal. So the study is more reliable than you imagine.
You did not cite a research paper. You linked to an article from the Atlantic. I had to go out and dig up the paper they were talking about.

Quote:
Don't throw in random terms like ANOVA since you are not analyzing their data processing method but only experimental design. In addition, since they are comparing two groups (Whites vs East Asians), they should use t-test instead of ANOVA. Therefore you do not even understand what it is.
Again, it is 100% absolutely clear you have no idea what you're talking about because you never even read the study. They aren't just comparing two groups - because if you read the paper you would have known that - they had to analyze for differences between Asians, Europeans, Males, Females, and other minorities, so yeah.....I think I know a little bit or two about ANOVAs and hypothesis testing. I mean I only did a doctorate in bioengineering that required inordinate amounts of designing experiments and analyzing data. The authors of the paper literally used ANOVAs in their methods which you would have realized had you read the paper.

Stop trying to save face now that you've been completely embarrassed. Read your own damn study that you attempted to use to drum up controversy about 'Americans'. Also explain why so many of the results seem to indicate a stereotype about Asians when in fact the majority of participants in 3/4 of the sub-studies were in fact Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
With all due respect, this might be the reason why SOME people don't like Asians with dominant personality.

Just a thought.
So you are ok when people "fabricate" stories to demonize East Asians or Chinese? No thanks def not my style. Moreover, every word in his post smells aggressive against "mainlanders".

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
OK, I'm going to just come out and say it.....

In my experience, they drive like crap. I dislike that.

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? East Asian here is an ethnic group, having nothing to do with citizenship.
Or you just say stupid things on purpose in order to win an argument? Pretty weird strategy to say the least.
It seems like you are itching for a moderator review of your posting style.

I'll let it go for the moment.

Your counter-argument is indecipherable. I'll be polite, which is a general characteristic of my people, and refrain from calling it stupid. That politeness is sometimes why we get promoted. I'll merely ask you to slow down in the face of an argument that you did not like, and to rephrase and clarify.

Protip: be sure to eliminate prepositions (or pronouns) like "here" that can refer to either of the two parts of the world under discussion.

Also, be sure to completely flesh out your counter argument. I won't ake the time to repair it again. I'm only going to analyze and deconstruct it if necessary.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:55 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
So you are ok when people "fabricate" stories to demonize East Asians or Chinese? No thanks def not my style. Moreover, every word in his post smells aggressive against "mainlanders".
I said no such a thing.

This is what I said,

With all due respect, this might be the reason why SOME people don't like Asians with dominant personality.

Just a thought.

You keep on saying he lied, I am saying just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean the poster told a lie. You should let this go, Knowing how to pick your battles is a skill worth mastering, just saying.

Airline passengers kick up a stink on Delta flight from Beijing to Detroit after Chinese family let toddler poop on his seat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz52gnwbwnR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...CATE-seat.html

sometimes, $%^& happens, doesn't mean ALL Chinese do it.

That poster shared his experience, and he has always been respectful. I don't know why you have to act like a bully.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Puhlease. It is absolutely 100% clear you haven't even read the paper. You were trying to use the term 'Americans' in your OP to insinuate that this was pertaining to people from the United States. You were led astray by your Atlantic article because the author of that article failed to mention details such as this was only from a Canadian institution from people living in Canada. Now, since it's obvious you haven't even read the study, you're trying to back track and claim that what you originally meant by 'Americans' was to encompass everyone from North America. Almost no one uses the term 'Americans' to mean everyone from the continent of North America. Quite being disingenuous. You are also making a vast assumption that some scientific finding in Canada should also probably hold true across the US as well 'because their cultures are similar'. What do they say about assumptions again? Assuming something to be true without any data to support your hypothesis isn't science.

You did not cite a research paper. You linked to an article from the Atlantic. I had to go out and dig up the paper they were talking about.

Again, it is 100% absolutely clear you have no idea what you're talking about because you never even read the study. They aren't just comparing two groups - because if you read the paper you would have known that - they had to analyze for differences between Asians, Europeans, Males, Females, and other minorities, so yeah.....I think I know a little bit or two about ANOVAs and hypothesis testing. I mean I only did a doctorate in bioengineering that required inordinate amounts of designing experiments and analyzing data.

Stop trying to save face now that you've been completely embarrassed. Read your own damn study that you attempted to use to drum up controversy about 'Americans'. Also explain why so many of the results seem to indicate a stereotype about Asians when in fact the majority of participants in 3/4 of the sub-studies were in fact Asian.
Stop showing off your degree. Who cares? We have a conversation based on facts. My degree actually requires a statistics class and ANOVA etc are just the very basics. Bioengineering is not known to be math intensive to begin with.

Enough with that showing off. Now let's talk about real things.
As I said, the title of the research paper has "North America" not "Canada". It is the authors' claim to generalize it to North America, not me. I do believe the results apply to America (the US), for reasons I already expained. You can argue against me, but I insist.

I showed the link of a blog discussion, which contains the title of the research paper. Most people are interested in the discussion not the real paper. Also, for most people (including myself), the original paper costs $10+, so it is sufficient to read the abstract and discussion.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
It seems like you are itching for a moderator review of your posting style.

I'll let it go for the moment.

Your counter-argument is indecipherable. I'll be polite, which is a general characteristic of my people, and refrain from calling it stupid. That politeness is sometimes why we get promoted. I'll merely ask you to slow down in the face of an argument that you did not like, and to rephrase and clarify.

Protip: be sure to eliminate prepositions (or pronouns) like "here" that can refer to either of the two parts of the world under discussion.

Also, be sure to completely flesh out your counter argument. I won't ake the time to repair it again. I'm only going to analyze and deconstruct it if necessary.
OK I get it you have nothing to say and start to police my grammar. However that post has zero ungrammatical or ambiguous statements, although occasionally I made mistakes.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Quote:
Stop showing off your degree. Who cares? We have a conversation based on facts. My degree actually requires a statistics class and ANOVA etc are just the very basics. Bioengineering is not known to be math intensive to begin with.

Enough with that showing off. Now let's talk about real things.
As I said, the title of the research paper has "North America" not "Canada". It is the authors' claim to generalize it to North America, not me. I do believe the results apply to America (the US), for reasons I already expained. You can argue against me, but I insist.

I showed the link of a blog discussion, which contains the title of the research paper. Most people are interested in the discussion not the real paper. Also, for most people (including myself), the original paper costs $10+, so it is sufficient to read the abstract and discussion.

So you readily admit that you didn't read the study, jumped to conclusions without reading it, and failed to account for the fact that many of the participants were in fact Asian (majority for 3/4 studies). And FWIW, I have had very extensive training in pure and applied mathematics thank you very much. Now I suppose it would have been too much effort to travel to your local public university to get the paper for free and read the study before jumping to erroneous conclusions about Americans. It's much more fun to drum up controversy isn't it?

Old 12-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I said no such a thing.

This is what I said,

Just a thought.

You keep on saying he lied, I am saying just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean the poster told a lie. You should let this go, Knowing how to pick your battles is a skill worth mastering, just saying.

Airline passengers kick up a stink on Delta flight from Beijing to Detroit after Chinese family let toddler poop on his seat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz52gnwbwnR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...CATE-seat.html

sometimes, $%^& happens, doesn't mean ALL Chinese do it.

That poster shared his experience, and he has always been respectful. I don't know why you have to act like a bully.
I pointed out the fact that someone lied to make an argument.
You can pretend you don't believe me. Your bringing up other irrelevant events makes me doubt your stance too.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:18 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
I pointed out the fact that someone lied to make an argument.
You can pretend you don't believe me. Your bringing up other irrelevant events makes me doubt your stance too.
I think you should argue with somebody else. That is all I have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies