Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
There isn't anytime that anyone who says a recession is two years out ... would be wrong or right. So If anyone says I "believe'' a recession is two years off... great, we'll see won't we. Always a matter of when, not if.

Yes it is, markets are cyclical. We are the longest expansion period ever... a recession will show up at some point.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:03 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Opinions. They're out there, lots of them.
time for do unto others as they have done unto you. Eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth still applies in economics... at least is should.
You get the scripture and the sayings wrong....

1. Do unto others as you WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.

2. An eye for an eye and tooth for tooth means we soon are all blind and toothless.

But those are perfect sayings for your namesake state...

The Right is always casting about for enemies....blacks, hispanics, muslims and now chinese. Even Europeans are now "enemies"......they never stop to look in the mirror and perhaps consider that the real enemy may be inside.

Luckily for us right now (and in the future) China does NOT believe in an eye for an eye. Their traditions of Buddhism and Taoism are much more peaceful and inclusive..and, in general, wise.

We prefer to wave the giant foam fingers and point the guns...

Old 08-20-2019, 11:36 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Opinions. They're out there, lots of them.

There isn't anytime that anyone who says a recession is two years out ... would be wrong or right. So If anyone says I "believe'' a recession is two years off... great, we'll see won't we. Always a matter of when, not if.

The China controversy and trade and dealing with the trade imbalance. Do we or don't we? We've been the "don't we" country for way too long. I'm gonna express my feelings on the matter since data is available to anyone and I'm not a global economist.

The Chinese are the economic locusts of the world. They are pretty on the outside and ugly on the inside. They want to be the premier economic and military power in the world. Hey... I'm OK with that wanting to be, but I don't want that to happen. China is our now our economic rival, not our trading partner. Essentially we've made their economy a first world economy, for the most part. Time for them to go on their own, without our industrial support (methods) or technology transfers. In addition, time for do unto others as they have done unto you. Eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth still applies in economics... at least is should.
I suppose one way to argue one's opinion is to note there are lots of them, but of course there are lots of really misinformed opinions out there too. No need to explain yours or mine is not the only one in any case. Some opinions are simply more correct than others, and exchange of opinion should be a function of establishing which are the more correct.

Also true there is lots of speculation, history and say so when it comes to recession. Again another effort to discount all rather informed opinion about what threats do exist about a recession and why. Find a way to ignore most if not all informed opinion about the likes, and you have successfully cleared all opinion that contradicts yours. Far as you are concerned anyway, but the facts remain regardless. There are pretty reliable indicators that are legitimate cause for concern about where the economy is headed sooner rather than later.

We don't need to wait or see what is happening with Trump's trade war. Much has already transpired that no one questions or debates, unless of course the goal is to defend what Trump does regardless the results. We all know that game of "heads I win, tails you lose." As I am reminded of how that game is being played here again too, I suspect it's again past time for me to sign off before I waste any more time with this sort of game or rhetoric.

"Economic locusts?" What more evidence do we need to consider what we're dealing with here? Locusts are mostly known to be veracious consumers. When it comes to who are the consumers with respect to China and the U.S., we are! "Made in China!" Bought in America!

Ugh! But to even look at these international trade issues in these sorts of terms makes me wonder why I have bothered to type even the first letter of this comment...

Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Yet another recession warning. RV sales are dropping fast. Down 4% last year and down another 20% this year. RV sales are typically an indication of the psychological status of the public. They are expensive toys and when folks feel good about their economic future sales are up. When folks are uncertain or worried sales fall.

"Forget the bond market, some economists are looking to the RV market for signs of an impending recession.

Shipments of recreational vehicles are down 20.3% so far this year, after falling 4.1% in 2018, according to the RV Industry Association, and it may be flashing a warning signal about the health of the U.S. economy.

“We’ve seen in the past when RV sales have slowed down, it’s a sign that the economy is slowing down,” Indiana University business professor, Kyle Anderson, said on Yahoo Finance’s “The First Trade.”

Multiyear drops in RV shipments have preceded the last three recessions.

“I think the [RV] industry is very concerned,” says Anderson.“RVs are a luxury good, and people want to feel good about the economy if they’re going to make a large purchase like this..."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...184504512.html

The drop in sales mirrors the recent drop in consumer confidence reported 4 days ago:

"The numbers: A measure of consumer confidence fell in August to the lowest level since the start of the year, reflecting fresh worries about trade tensions with China and the possibility of a looming recession.

The consumer sentiment survey fell to 92.1 this month from 98.4 in July, according to a preliminary reading from the University Michigan. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had forecast a reading of 96.8.

Just a year and a half ago, the index touched 101.4 to mark the highest level since 2004..."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...ows-2019-08-16

Ken

Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
American Steel is laying off 200...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Thousands are being laid off all across the country.
https://www.rttnews.com/slideshow/38...sla-leoni.aspx

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../pers-a19.html

Old 08-21-2019, 06:18 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
American Steel is laying off 200...
How come no happy face emoji? Does the economic misfortunes of others make you hate president Trump more?

Layoffs in the steel industry are normal with the economic ups and downs... just like in the auto industry. I never see anyone posting steel workers working OT and making lots of money. That happens too.

... just sayin'

Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Quote:
How come no happy face emoji? Does the economic misfortunes of others make you hate president Trump more?

Layoffs in the steel industry are normal with the economic ups and downs... just like in the auto industry. I never see anyone posting steel workers working OT and making lots of money. That happens too.

... just sayin'
Are you acknowledging the economy isn't doing as the "best economy ever"

Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Target up 17% on earnings and raising guidance, this following Walmart’s surge on earnings, and Home Depot’s surge on earning yesterday. Strong retail + strong consumer = good economy?

Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Futures up 1%. Target surging 16% due to consumer acceptance of gender neutral restrooms, driving large volume and longer shopping trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies