Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
much of that GDP is purely fictitious or it reflects never ending degradation of American life as in monetization of all aspects of existence from cradle to grave.
I just thought it might be worth considering in the context of defining what a "level playing field" might be, because whether it is our economy, our military budget and presence all over the world, our consumption levels, the per capital comparisons, our foreign and domestic trade, our natural resources, etc., etc., sure seems to me we're at least at the better end of this "playing field" all considered and have been for a very long time now...

Old 08-19-2019, 12:07 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I just thought it might be worth considering in the context of defining what a "level playing field" might be, because whether it is our economy, our military budget and presence all over the world, our consumption levels, the per capital comparisons, our foreign and domestic trade, our natural resources, etc., etc., sure seems to me we're at least at the better end of this "playing field" all considered and have been for a very long time now...
I was hinting at something else. 70% of American GDP is due to personal consumption. Much of that consumption involves services and things people in less monetized countries acquire from each other without business/money mediation. The more isolated and money/business dependent America becomes the greater its GDP. Simple. Just remember that next time your freeloading neighbor will ask you to watch his pets instead of securing services of a for profit business.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Donald Trump knows nothing about business or the economy. Blame Donald Trump, the smart genius, for the coming recession. At some point, this economy is going to have to be about Donald Trump and not about alibis.
Just to point out, Donald Trump thinks he is a stable genius

Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Just to point out, Donald Trump thinks he is a stable genius
He is in fact NEITHER.

Ken

Old 08-19-2019, 06:19 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
First thing's first, to Bill Maher and democrats who want Trump to crash the economy, Dow 26,135...

Democrats make me laugh my head off when the idiots try to go off about debt spending. Here's democrats exact plan... Raise taxes and promise free Medicaid for illegal aliens, pay off college student debt, raise minimum wage to 15.00 plus..., bring back regulations and fix global warming in 18 months, get rid of fossil fuels and restrict all peons from driving anywhere, eliminate cows... Blah blah blah...

Old 08-19-2019, 06:42 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Level playing field = do unto others as they have done unto you.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Which is why trump wants the fed to bail him out.
Bail him out from what? the slow down? The global economy is slowing, you understand that ...right? Must it be the "fault" of a country or a person when the economies of the world slows? Has the economy always gone "up" before president Trump? Has the world experienced slow downs before? and recessions?

If the world major economies are flat, or retracting and our economy isn't... you lost me. What's your point?

Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Bail him out from what? the slow down? The global economy is slowing, you understand that ...right? Must it be the "fault" of a country or a person when the economies of the world slows? Has the economy always gone "up" before president Trump? Has the world experienced slow downs before? and recessions?

If the world major economies are flat, or retracting and our economy isn't... you lost me. What's your point?
Sure seems you too are not able to consider the other side of the story when it comes to much about Trump, our economy and/or the global economy, but I suspect you are capable of considering more than you let on, especially if you have been following these economic developments even just a little...

"It's unclear exactly what a no deal situation with China would entail. All we know is that any of the likely outcomes would be incredibly painful for the global economy. US GDP data shows that growth slowed sharply last quarter from the quarter before. Much of that slowdown can be attributed to a 5.2% drop in exports and shrinking business investment due to uncertainty plaguing global markets.

"Trump's no deal with China will be however he defines it at the time," Chad Bown, a fellow at the Peterson Institute, told Business Insider. "Right now, that is tariffs on $250 billion of imports from China. But it could quickly turn into tariffs on $500 billion of imports."

In other words, a no deal scenario would mean commercial relations between the two largest economies in the world could collapse to a degree we've yet to experience in this current trade war. That in turn would make the problems slowing down the global economy even worse."

https://www.businessinsider.com/no-t...lowdown-2019-7

"Finally, here’s economics editor Larry Elliot on the German economic slowdown, which Angela Merkel and Boris Johnson could chat about later this week.

If anything, the short-term problems facing Germany are even greater than those affecting the UK. Europe’s biggest economy shrank in the second quarter of 2019 and, according to the country’s central bank, is on course to do so again in the third. Two consecutive quarters of falling output constitute a recession. The Bundesbank says Brexit and the slowdown in exports caused by global trade tensions are two big contributory factors to the slowdown."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Level playing field = do unto others as they have done unto you.
LOL is right...

Careful what you ask for!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Opinions. They're out there, lots of them.

There isn't anytime that anyone who says a recession is two years out ... would be wrong or right. So If anyone says I "believe'' a recession is two years off... great, we'll see won't we. Always a matter of when, not if.

The China controversy and trade and dealing with the trade imbalance. Do we or don't we? We've been the "don't we" country for way too long. I'm gonna express my feelings on the matter since data is available to anyone and I'm not a global economist.

The Chinese are the economic locusts of the world. They are pretty on the outside and ugly on the inside. They want to be the premier economic and military power in the world. Hey... I'm OK with that wanting to be, but I don't want that to happen. China is our now our economic rival, not our trading partner. Essentially we've made their economy a first world economy, for the most part. Time for them to go on their own, without our industrial support (methods) or technology transfers. In addition, time for do unto others as they have done unto you. Eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth still applies in economics... at least is should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies