Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 05:43 AM

34,238 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The idiot at Sears who bought Kmart years ago should be shot.
Actually I think it was Kmart that bought Sears. Now both are in trouble, and will be gone soon. Sears didn't change with times, and Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, and others ate their lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'll ask another question also: If Macy's and Sears announced yesterday and today, that they were opening 100 new stores and hiring another 5,000 employees, would you have credited Trump for that? You actually don't have to answer because I already know what you answer that.
No, it's a fair question. If that indeed were to happen, it would have to be because of major store management policy changes, because these stores have been failing for years. It would take more than the booming economy to make that happen.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Actually I think it was Kmart that bought Sears.
Yep and Eddie Lampert was the chairman of Kmart at the time. Sears never stood a chance.

Kmart to acquire Sears in $11 billion deal - Business - Stocks & economy | NBC News

Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Eddie Lampert was the worst thing to happen to that company. He's just milking the real estate for all it's worth. You better believe he's gonna make out like a bandit when Sears finally goes under.
He set himself up to win no matter what happens to Sears. I hope somehow it unravels. This is our financial system now. As long as I get mine, screw everyone else.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sears-h...eady-targeted/

Now adding to their initial closures announced last year.

Department stores are not WINNING.

Between Sears and Macy's I find it interesting that none of the stores identified are in the area I shop. The majority of the closures seem to be in less "booming" areas economically.

Guess you'll have to order that stove through Amazon!
Nah, Best Buy, Home Sepot.

Sears prices themselves out of the market.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:55 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Seems the OP, in 2 threads enjoys posting about failed/failing companies....

Old 01-05-2018, 05:56 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thanks Bush, Obama, and Trump.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes, it's another attempt to try and tell everyone how crappy our economy is right now. Of course, just ignore everything else that's going on and concentrate on a company like Sears that has been failing for a couple of decades now at least.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
I never shopped at Sears for clothing. For a woman, I think their clothing is just awful and always has been. However, I sort of liked their appliances back in the day. I think most people in my area are not getting appliances through Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc. I absolutely HATE going into those stores for appliances because you can't get a person to even look at you. I just wonder why they couldn't keep afloat in, at least, that department.
Exaggerate much? Can't even get a sales associate to look at you? Millions of people shop there and somehow sales associates look at them. I wonder what you're doing wrong.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:08 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
As I noted in another such thread about Sears, I guess a year ago, what goes around comes around.

Back in the 'old days' (early 1900s) Sears began its catalog sales, with delivery being by various means of transportation (train, truck, even wagons). The tactic worked, and many small 'Mom and Pop' stores struggled, since people were simply ordering many goods from Sears, for easy delivery to their homes.

Alas! Sears closed their catalog business some years ago (I think early 1980s) and focused on brick and mortar stores. They closed the catalog business right on the cusp of the Internet Revolution, which, of course, saw the rise of consumers sitting comfortably at home and ordering goods via internet, for easy delivery to their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies