Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Actually.....correlation does NOT equal causation, is how is goes.

Macy's has been closing stores and letting people go for decades now. This isn't due to Trump.
the way I said it was more funny and pointed. sorry you didn't get that.

on a personal note, Macy's is my brokebackmountian. I tried quitting them but dang they have good stuff and reasonable prices. way better than dillards. (my two options)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 10:02 AM

378 posts, read 419,539 times
Will Sears close in Greenville?

Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sears-h...eady-targeted/

Now adding to their initial closures announced last year.

Department stores are not WINNING.

Between Sears and Macy's I find it interesting that none of the stores identified are in the area I shop. The majority of the closures seem to be in less "booming" areas economically.

Guess you'll have to order that stove through Amazon!
They dug their own grave. They were paying their workers minimum wage while charging double the price for the same crap I can get at Walmart. At least at Walmart you might have a chance to climb the corporate ladder.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Lightbulb Economic selection in the internet age: evolve or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I grew up in the 50's, when places like Sears, JC Penny, and Montgomery Ward were King. Every year, we couldn't wait until the new Sears catalog came, and we bought everything from clothes to car engines to lawn mowers from them. Times changed, and those stores did not.

Sears has been dead for years, and they just have not buried the body yet. I went in at Christmas to return some broken sockets, and the place was a ghost town, and the shelves were empty.......not empty from a lot of sales, just EMPTY. The staff looked like they really didn't want to be there, and the parking lot had like 3 cars in it.

No question that the internet has been a big part of it, but Sears hurt themselves too. The quality that once built them has gone away. I buy a lot of tools......a LOT of tools, and the ones Sears sells today are not the same quality of their old ones. When you break a tool, they reach under the counter and give you a refurbished one, and it is generally a cheaper model. My son bought me a $300 floor jack from Sears, and it began to leak a few months after buying it, and it would not stay up. I went back and they said it was not a hand tool, so it had a 90 day warranty. I called Sears Corporate, and they would not budge, but offered me 10% off of a new one ! I told them to stick it.

One philosophy in business is that if you don't reinvent your company every 5 years, you will not stay in business. Sears did not do anything to change or improve, they just got worse. I won't miss them at all.

It just may be that Sears' long success as a retailer prevented it from getting up to date to compete with online outlets that started up when the net was young.

Management at Sears may well have bungled it 20 years ago when the future of online shopping and customer service was brand new and still uncertain. Maybe they looked at the time and expense involved in getting their inventory, ordering and distribution schemes upgraded and took a "wait and see" attitude.

Clearly, they've waited too long and they're going extinct with their out of date methods.

Business schools will no doubt use them as a case study.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He set himself up to win no matter what happens to Sears. I hope somehow it unravels. This is our financial system now. As long as I get mine, screw everyone else.
It's always been this way. Since the dawn of civilization.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:

Between Sears and Macy's I find it interesting that none of the stores identified are in the area I shop. The majority of the closures seem to be in less "booming" areas economically.

Sears and Macy's need to change their name to Sears Coal Energy and Macy's Coal Corporation; and move their headquarters to West Virginia.

Then Trump and all his supporters will claim online shopping is a liberal hoax, Amazon is an unprofitable company subsidized by the government, and Trump will try to pass laws to create more Sears and Macy's jobs.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:41 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Those big blowout-sales that both Sears and Kmart are regularly having, yeah, that is a
stealth going-out-of-business/liquidation event.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:

No, Lowes and Hope Depot are still doing good selling appliances, like stoves. Bestbuy also sells some. Those stores help reflect why Sears is having so much trouble trying to stay in business.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
I didn't realize there were any Sears stores left.

Think the last time I was in one was 1998.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Maybe Congress can ban on-line shopping to force people to shop in department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies