Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What about Kenmore? That's the only reason I ever go to Sears now. We just bought a new Kenmore washer and dryer set a few months ago, and so far they've been working great. So I'm glad they held out as long as they did, at least.
Not to worry. Kenmore is just a name. They aren't independently made. Appliances under the Kenmore name are made by Whirlpool, Maytag, Roper, and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
What about Kenmore? That's the only reason I ever go to Sears now. We just bought a new Kenmore washer and dryer set a few months ago, and so far they've been working great. So I'm glad they held out as long as they did, at least.
Kenmore isn't made by Sears, nor Kenmore, they are made by a variety of manufacturers. I'm not saying they are not good, just not limited to Sears. When Sears goes away, you'll still be able to get the same appliances under different names.

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who makes Sears Kenmore?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,500,218 times
It should be noted that Craftsman was sold to Stanley Black & Decker and will slot into their lineup. The Craftsman of the past few years has not been the same other than that free tool return but pretty much every manufacturer does that (Kobalt, Husky, etc.).

Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:

Ditto. We bought a new refrigerator last year, and a new dishwasher the year before that. Loved Sears' reward points program...we used them to buy youngest daughter a new winter coat for Christmas. Now with Macy's and Sears both gone, Penney's is the only anchor store in a half-empty mall (our closest, 25 miles away). But I'm not blaming President Trump's economy...Macy's left two years ago, and that mall has been struggling for at least a decade.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,461,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Sears is a dinosaur plain and simple. They never got into the online retail as much as they should have and should have never stopped the catalog IMO. This should not necessarily be in Politics but since some are so fervent to make it political they start it here instead of Shopping or Current Events where a rational discussion could possibly take place.

That being said, my last dealing with Sears was ordering a part for my Craftsman (real Crafstman not some new MTD garbage) snowthrower. It said the belts were in stock for pickup and I would get an email when it was ready. Being that the store was 20 minutes away I did not want to waste the drive so I ordered and waited for the email. I received the order status stating that the part would be in stock for pickup in 2 weeks?!?!. Immediately I went online to cancel my order but the page simply gives you the status detail no way to web chat, cancel, etc. I had to call and wait for 25 minutes on hold and once I reached a person they had to escalate to a manager. The manager then said they couldn't cancel it and had to do it from some back channel procedure (oooh cryptic). This was a half hour on the phone to cancel an order that was just placed. Something I could have cancelled on Amazon within seconds or expected at my door in two days. I got off the phone with the assurance I would be refunded within 24 hours, meanwhile I went to Amazon and ordered my part. It arrived in two days, was installed and being used. Meanwhile two weeks went by before I got an email stating my order had arrived from Sears and was available for pickup, followed by an email a few hours later of the cancellation. They waited the whole time to cancel and refund my money, what a joke and complete disarray and solidified my desire to stay away from Sears from that point on.

I go to other sources to find the part numbers then search Amazon, ebay, etc. for what I need. No time to waste with such a disorderly system.
had a very similar experience recently. Was shocked at at how poorly staff was trained (with super low expectations), how bad their systems were, and how their supply chain management was non-existent, literally doesn't exist.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
had a very similar experience recently. Was shocked at at how poorly staff was trained (with super low expectations), how bad their systems were, and how their supply chain management was non-existent, literally doesn't exist.
I've long thought a mid level store that was big on service would do well. Still have a shoe sales person that would properly fit your foot and then would lead to the proper sock after selling the shoe. Etc.

The problem would be the kinds of profit a "hedge fund manager" would be willing to accept. $50 million in profit would be great for a small group of owners. It isn't acceptable to tens of thousands of investors and that is where we have went wrong.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Has anybody walked into a Sears lately and I'm not talking about one attached to a mall and you parked near Sears because there were plenty of parking spaces, but an actual stand alone Sears? My wife and I went into one on a Saturday afternoon to pick up a few Craftsman tools which were on sale. We chuckled how it was a ghost town and just for kicks, we walked the entire store and counted the customers. There were 6, not including my wife and myself. The entire store looked like it was still in the 70s with the light browns, oranges and yellows. Of course, I'm sure the tiles and walls were white at one time and have just yellowed over the years. I know this is in the politics section of the forum, but I don't think this has anything at all to do with politics. This is nothing more than a brand who has not kept up with the times and are now being left behind. Unfortunately, I don't think they will recover from this. Even if they do a complete 180 on their brand and B&M locations, the damage has been done. I give them 5 years before the entire brand goes the way of other large retailers like Circuit City and closes all of their locations.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I grew up in the 50's, when places like Sears, JC Penny, and Montgomery Ward were King. Every year, we couldn't wait until the new Sears catalog came, and we bought everything from clothes to car engines to lawn mowers from them. Times changed, and those stores did not.

Sears has been dead for years, and they just have not buried the body yet. I went in at Christmas to return some broken sockets, and the place was a ghost town, and the shelves were empty.......not empty from a lot of sales, just EMPTY. The staff looked like they really didn't want to be there, and the parking lot had like 3 cars in it.

No question that the internet has been a big part of it, but Sears hurt themselves too. The quality that once built them has gone away. I buy a lot of tools......a LOT of tools, and the ones Sears sells today are not the same quality of their old ones. When you break a tool, they reach under the counter and give you a refurbished one, and it is generally a cheaper model. My son bought me a $300 floor jack from Sears, and it began to leak a few months after buying it, and it would not stay up. I went back and they said it was not a hand tool, so it had a 90 day warranty. I called Sears Corporate, and they would not budge, but offered me 10% off of a new one ! I told them to stick it.

One philosophy in business is that if you don't reinvent your company every 5 years, you will not stay in business. Sears did not do anything to change or improve, they just got worse. I won't miss them at all.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Has anybody walked into a Sears lately and I'm not talking about one attached to a mall and you parked near Sears because there were plenty of parking spaces, but an actual stand alone Sears? My wife and I went into one on a Saturday afternoon to pick up a few Craftsman tools which were on sale. We chuckled how it was a ghost town and just for kicks, we walked the entire store and counted the customers. There were 6, not including my wife and myself. The entire store looked like it was still in the 70s with the light browns, oranges and yellows.
If you read on the grand plan of Eddie Lambert he believed he did not have to update the stores, that he could get people in the doors with cheap gimmicks.

Quote:
Of course, I'm sure the tiles and walls were white at one time and have just yellowed over the years. I know this is in the politics section of the forum, but I don't think this has anything at all to do with politics. This is nothing more than a brand who has not kept up with the times and are now being left behind. Unfortunately, I don't think they will recover from this. Even if they do a complete 180 on their brand and B&M locations, the damage has been done. I give them 5 years before the entire brand goes the way of other large retailers like Circuit City and closes all of their locations.
I believe it has very much to do with politics as most of our politicians are Eddie Lamberts.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:46 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
That is not how causation works. Would have to show direct evidence that not stocking led to the downfall, not just that they did and at a later time stores closed.
and you don't understand how sarcasm works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies