Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
IF this country survives neo liberalism then what will be taught in history and civics class in our future schools is how we as a nation avoided running off a cliff into cultural and financial suicide. How we kept the ideas that worked to build this nation close at heart, and how our founding fathers had great ideas that we temporarily lost track of, and how globalism was a terrible idea. If that does not happen, then we will know that America was eroded away into the dust heap of history.
Globalism isn't going away. Get over it and move on and learn how to excel in today's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Pretty simple, Typically Democrats are ashamed of thier country. Occasionally, they become proud of their country when they elect one of their own. Michelle Obama is a good example, she become proud of her country when they elected her husband. Now she is not proud

Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Globalism isn't going away. Get over it and move on and learn how to excel in today's world.
Globalism will be gone in less than 100 years, after we have consumed the worlds natural resources to the point that we cant afford to travel around the globe!

Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Is benefiting from affirmative action, politically compromised news institutions, and undercutting labor with illegal immigration and a needless labor pool of H-1B visa holders considered "learning how to excel"?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I certainly didn't mean you and I differ because of a lack of education...what I meant was political education.

I have learned, while being an Independent, I am not loyal nor do I have to remain loyal to any one party. As both parties are corrupt....therefore, I pay attention and listen to what all the news feeds are playing, not just one side, which allows me to make my own decisions, I don't and won't depend on the media to make my decisions, but a whole lot of people parrot what they media tells them and the media lies.
Education is education and also of course this is a POC thread, so needless to say we are both referring to political education and all that entails (history, economics, etc.). Still you want to suggest your opinion is because you are educated about what is relevant in this regard, and I'm trying to explain to you that the difference between those who are favorable about Trump vs those not favorable has less to do with education than you seem to think (though the demographics of Trump supporters do indicate a difference there too).

What you have learned in your own words above also demonstrates how this "education" is not really the issue at hand, though what we learn from our experience can be very different, more or less than others. Like I always like to say, "don't let school get in the way of your education!"

No one needs to be loyal to any party, but of course in some states to vote in a party primary election, you must be registered as a member of that party. So begins some of the other considerations we must all judge politically speaking. You have this tendency to explain what you believe as if this justifies your opinion, but again it seems to me what you believe is hardly all that matters, the full picture, nor the justification for your opinions like you seem to believe.

You don't care what I think or why. I know, but if you are interested in how a person with no less education can read your comments and disagree with both your premise and conclusion(s), then you might consider the following as well. I'm not just disagreeing with you. I'm explaining why!

Corruption exists everywhere in politics. True, but not all politics is entirely corrupt. We may at least share the belief that America does a good deal better than other countries that are far more corrupt and less committed to democratic ideals. Spend any time in those countries and that appreciation and understanding about what we take for granted in this country begins to grow.

All to explain that I too am not loyal to any one party. I am loyal to my ideals and sense of which party and/or candidate better represents and promotes those ideals. I too am well aware of the problems brought on by corruption, problems that my ideals cannot accept. I too review a good many news sources every morning; local, national and foreign as part of what I call "triangulating for the truth." I also don't depend on the media to make decisions. However, I do depend on the media just like all of us do (or should) to discover and consider what truth is out there that we should know and also better understand.

So how are we different in these ways that you seem to suggest leads to support of Trump?

Can you see what assumptions you are making that may not apply like you think they do?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not short at all on insight, matter of fact, I believe I'm more informed than most...and when people start calling Trump names, is when I turn off...b/c they have no idea what they are talking about. What they are doing is following their party's opinion. Actually I believe I know more than most when it comes to politics as I've been following them for over 30 years now.
How do you know?

For starters, one can be informed but lack insight, "the power or act of seeing into a situation." Two very well informed generals, for example, may know all there is to know about the enemy and the battle at hand, but because of different insights, one with better insight than the other, they may disagree about what strategy to pursue to win the war. Same goes for what we as Americans may know about what is going on around us and then what insights we have about how best to achieve our goals, as individuals and as a country.

I agree about the name calling generally speaking, whether we know what we are talking about or not, but I don't really let the rhetoric get in the way of my judgement about Trump, politics or whatever issue at hand. There's the noise and entertainment of course, then there's the substance. Some people may follow all the talking points typical of their ideology, liberal or conservative. You certainly do! But much of that is going to be because of how we agree or don't in whatever ideology, represented more or less by these candidates we will either choose to support or not.

Maybe you do know more than most about politics, but reason and logic has more to do with our analytical abilities, objectivity, critical thinking that ultimately determines how we judge as we do. We all think we know more than we do and ego drives us to think we know best, but of course we're not all equal in these respects and all these educated and informed people can't all be right when they disagree to such an extent! Remembering these simple truths is why I do my best to explain WHY I think (and vote) the way I do, rather than think my resume is all anyone needs to know...

Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
As far as Trump ranking lower in terms of approval is untrue....over the years I've watched polls, and they are not accurate....and as far as approval, where do you draw or undraw the lines?
Untrue???

Polls are an effort to measure how a population feels based on enough data to make the predictions accurate within a certain "level of confidence." You can dismiss polls (as here too you seem wanting for obvious reasons) or you can consider them with the necessary insight to judge them as we all can and should if we are interested to know how that population might feel, or act or vote. Same reason companies do focus group studies, to attempt a determination about what their customers might think, feel, buy...

Not magic and not perfect, but all that money put into conducting polls and that sort of research doesn't happen because those insights are not worthwhile!

Where do you draw the lines? Again, we must all consider what we are considering objectively and with understanding that there is always some margin of error, but consider what these polls have been pretty darn good at predicting; who had the edge among all the GOP candidates on stage debating to be our next POTUS? How close the polls indicated the Trump/Clinton race actually was...

Final popular vote count too: Trump 62,985,134/45.93% vs Hillary 65,853,652/48.02%

Now too, just look at any favorability poll related to Trump, as has been conducted for a long time now before Trump came along, and of course no poll is 100 percent entirely accurate or beyond error. They all generally indicate the statistical percent level of confidence after all. Dismiss one poll for whatever reason, okay. Maybe two, but dismiss them all entirely? Not recognize the overwhelming evidence that Trump's favorability rating is as low as any POTUS prior?

Do that and you are demonstrating a lack of insight, knowledge and objectivity that goes with an unwillingness to accept the truth of these facts whether they suit our beliefs and biases or not!

A GOOD education teaches us that if we can't be informed and objective about such information, we can't very well develop the sort of insights that allow us to judge rationally and accurately, even when such information involves a margin of error.

Put another way..., if you want to ignore all the weather forecasts that predict a storm on a day you decided to go to the beach just because weather forecasts are not 100 percent reliable, then mostly you're just "all wet."

"Untrue" you say?

Have you any evidence these polls about Trump are "untrue?" Or do you mean not 100 percent accurate?!?

A good education should help us understand the BIG difference between the two claims. Right?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
A national leader should represent the best of the nation they are leading. Trump represents the absolute worst of America. Are there parents who see the likes of Trump, lustful, stupid and bullying, as the role models for their sons?

I am deeply ashamed of today's America- no sane person can be proud of it in its present state. I am not ashamed of being an American, though, because a decisive majority of Americans did not vote for this ignoramus and the despicable characters that surround him. We fell victim to an archaic and undemocratic system of elections and that is the one reason I am not disgusted with my American citizenship. I take comfort in knowing that Most of my fellow citizens are better than this.

I think there is still hope for this country but it will not shine until the dark underbelly, known as "Trump's base", is denounced on every street and in every corner, denounced loudly and clearly. Every child in every school must be taught how this ignorant and hateful movement came about and what the fallacies in its thinking are. That must be taught like we teach basic English or Math. I know it will happen and that knowledge keeps me inspired. Germany did it, Italy did it, Spain did it and so shall we.

Let all of us who still remember the words "decency", "humanity" and "knowledge" do everything within our ability to peacefully un-elect all members of Trump's party and place it in the trash bin of history where it duly belongs! If we don't do it, then who will?
Were you ashamed when the US started engaging in regime changes, at the expense of millions of people including numerous deaths? Ashamed when the US strikes targets that also kill numerous innocent people but at least we got that one bad guy?

Or are you just yet another long line of people who get hyped up what amounts to trivial BS, that has no actual impact in the world?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
of course they can, but the difference between them and Trump is, Trump is following thru on all the promises he made.

Yes, he is, however, so were other presidents....but the bottom line is, no one cares as long as he gets the job done....and he is...

No, your wrong, the basic reason is, b/c all liberals hate him period. If he were a lib, you guys would adore him.
You are just killing me...

List ALL the Trump promises and then whether he has come through with them or not. If you can't immediately come up with at least one promise not followed through, nuff said. "Following thru on all the promises?" Beyond me!

Unless you are referring to lots of talk and tweets as "following through," I surely don't know how you can believe what you believe about Trump's accomplishments so far, and then there IS what he has done to the dismay of millions of Americans, and that score sheet begins to look like nothing you seem to be looking at...

This about how libs would love Trump if Trump were a lib is even more ridiculous, bizarre reason and logic!

Similar to suggesting that if a butcher were a doctor instead of a butcher, people in need of medical attention would respect the butcher just as much as the doctor. Hello? A butcher is not a doctor!!!

I "hate" that Trump said he saw "thousands of Muslims cheering in New York" on 9/11 when he saw no such thing. I "hate" why he lied about that. I "hate" how Trump brazenly explained what women will let you do with them if you're famous." I "hate" that Trump said he had a health care plan to replace the ACA when he had no such thing. I "hate" that Trump is going backwards on so many environmental protections that are important to keep in place. I "hate" that Trump decided to stir up trouble in the ME by unilaterally deciding to more the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem. I "hate" that now Trump is back-tracking on that mistake too...

I could go on all day, but no doubt I've wasted enough time already. At a minimum, in the name of have mercy and get a clue. You think I wouldn't hate this ****hole of a mess we're getting from Trump now if he were a liberal???

Old 01-18-2018, 12:54 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'm not ashamed of America. I'm just embarrassed by our President.
+1

AMERICA, or the idea and philosophy behind the name is not something to be ashamed of. Most thoughtful citizens probably still believe and try to uphold those tenets or at least appreciate what they were. Sure, many fail, but the intent is still there. What they are probably ashamed of are the officials an ignorant or coerced public choose to act for them. OK, no elected official is perfect. Don't think I've ever blindly voted strict party lines either. Everyone is free to agree or disagree with their stands on issues. Like most people (hopefully) I disagree with some positions of every leader we've had, but usually respect the personage. Can't even do this now. I find myself embarrassed by the juvenile taunts, the shamefully obvious CYA pronouncements, baby boy sulking and whining, desperate bragging about minutae, neverending fingerpointing and ancient history grudges. Oh, then there's the ignorance about how to be a leader and pay attention to anything other than the latest idiocy the media is focusing on. Inability to fill the cabinet, deal with national concerns that won't automatically result in a big splashy win. Even though the current leadership of this country gives me nightmares and urges to write letters to other world leaders pleading with them for tolerance, this doesn't mean I am ashamed of the place. It means I will do my civic duty to prevent such a political disaster from happening again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies