Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The analysis that I have seen indicate most will get tax cuts, that is not the issue. They couldn’t pass this tax cut without offering some small concessions to the middle class.
Middle class will get significant cuts.

If under SALT limit, most will pay the equivalent of 10 months of the tax they paid in 2017.

A 17% reduction in Federal Income Tax liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
So many great prophecies --looking forward to reality.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Tables are publicly available.

Its actually very straight forward for any , with even a small amount of math skills to determine.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Tables are publicly available.

Its actually very straight forward for any , with even a small amount of math skills to determine.
oh bugger off -- I've used tables from various sources and have had various results. pffft.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
No future President/Congress is going to agree to raising taxes, which is effectively what allowing tax cuts to sunset would be. Silliness to even throw that out.

Oh really?

Obama allowed *some* of the tax cuts to sunset.

Regan tuned around barely a year or so after his tax cuts and had to raise them several times.

And so it goes.

Unless you have some crystal ball that accurately predicts future economy of USA in ten or so years I'd go easy on making such blanket statements.

If this so called tax "reform" does not bring about the benefits intended and or the US government otherwise is in need of revenue in future, you can bet those tax cuts will either sunset and or things reworked.

Besides it isn't a POTUS's call; legislation must come out of the House and signed off by senate to extend certain provisions of this tax law, otherwise they sunset automatically.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 PM

32,074 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am trying to think back to the Obama years and any tax cuts at all the benefited the working or middle class. 8 years of democrat rule and nothing at all happened. In fact with Obamacare taxes went up for almost all Americans. Yet the complaint from the left is the working and middle class are not getting enough with this tax plan. Again, what did the dem's do for 8 years besides double the debt which the working and middle class will have to pay for eventually?

The other complaint is the wealthy in liberal states won't get their full SALT deductions and their overpriced homes may lose some value.

My how the tables have turned.
Blue states subsidize red states. And this new tax plan proves it.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The analysis that I have seen indicate most will get tax cuts, that is not the issue. They couldn’t pass this tax cut without offering some small concessions to the middle class.
Obama and the dems had 8 years to come up with some sort of tax relief for the middle class but instead raised taxes. IMHO the reason the economy has been growing so slowly since 2008 has been a lack of a tax cut. I expect 2018 to be an incredible year for economic growth in the US. Easily north of 4% for the year. Best under Obama 2.6% with huge budget deficits.

A well put together analysis is here:

https://www.heritage.org/taxes/repor...s-and-jobs-act

Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
oh bugger off -- I've used tables from various sources and have had various results. pffft.
nothing hard about it. A 3% tax cut in 3 brackets, leading up to upper middle class gross salary level.

Giant increase in deductions.

Unless one is astronomically above SALT cap, they are in the 85% seeing tax cuts group.

That is 6 in 7 seeing tax cuts.

Are you the seventh? If so, you are , no doubt, uber wealthy. Congrats.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:22 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am trying to think back to the Obama years and any tax cuts at all the benefited the working or middle class. 8 years of democrat rule and nothing at all happened. In fact with Obamacare taxes went up for almost all Americans. Yet the complaint from the left is the working and middle class are not getting enough with this tax plan. Again, what did the dem's do for 8 years besides double the debt which the working and middle class will have to pay for eventually?

The other complaint is the wealthy in liberal states won't get their full SALT deductions and their overpriced homes may lose some value.

My how the tables have turned.
The only tax "cut" I recall under Obama was when he suspended Social Security tax paymnents for a short period.

Which, in my mind, was very stupid thing to do considering the SS admin paying out more then it took in already.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
This. ^ I have to agree.

I am eager to find out what reality is. I certainly hope I’m not going to pay more, but I’m just not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies