Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This. Batteries have very toxic chemicals that can contaminate the land and water.
Hey, it's not like burning coal and oil make oxygen and give off the smell of warm chocolate chip cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:11 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Manufacturing and disposal of batteries is hugely detrimental to the environment. More so than fossil fuels.
Not Li based.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not Li based.
So the mining and refining of batteries is not detrimental?

Then drill wherever we have oil.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Not only is CA free to do whatever it likes with regards to it's own state, I think it's a good thing so that we can watch and adopt practices we see working in other states and not adopt those that are failures. *shrug*

CA is already in the top 5 in terms of electricity costs in the US.

What they're proposing isn't going to be cheap so people will need to pay more, but again that's their issue as CA citizens.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All the shreikers discounting electric power.., lol

You keep listening to your boy Trump tout the benefits of coal and I’ll keep investing in electric and solar. You dinosaurs should rely on coal, it lines up perfectly with your beliefs.

Meanwhile, I’ll be watching my portfolio.
perhaps one day you will get your head out of your rectum, and get rid of the hate you feel for anything other than far left progressives, and see reality for once. be careful though as it may be a shock to your system.

i do agree that we need to increase and improve electrical generation, and storage, but rigth now we cannot discount the use of other forms of energy that are right now, and in the near future, far more efficient at supplying our energy needs.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So the mining and refining of batteries is not detrimental?

Then drill wherever we have oil.
Lithium is easy to get and not very toxic. It's even in meds.

Go baby, drill!

Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Lithium is easy to get and not very toxic. It's even in meds.

Go baby, drill!
in tiny quantities yes. but there are issues with lithium-ion batteries in that they can overheat and burst into flames. solve that issue, and you have something going here as i like lithium-ion batteries.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in tiny quantities yes. but there are issues with lithium-ion batteries in that they can overheat and burst into flames. solve that issue, and you have something going here as i like lithium-ion batteries.
Sht happens. But not common and mostly a solvable problem.
Same with gas and we still have something going.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
And the same can be said for coal,oil, gas. They an overheat and burst into flames! Oh noes!

Seriously though, its not as big of a concern when you don't pack them into confined spaces, its a trivial problem for energy storage. spreading Fear Uncertainty and Doubt this way is completely unreasonable.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did YOU even read the article you posted? The batteries DON'T currently exist. There is a pipe dream that the Tesla car batteries can fill the bill.

They are dreaming that the expensive batteries in EVs can be scaled up thousands (millions?) of times to provide the capacity to store meaningful amounts of grid power. But you are talking gigawatt-days of energy storage! That kind of capacity does not exist. I doubt that there is enough lithium in the world to provide battery backup even just for CA, let alone a global solution.
I don't think it is a 'pipe dream'--and who says they must be Lithium?

Not to natter on..but the article clearly states that CURRENTLY renewable energy.....has made enough impact to notably curtail the use of natural gas generating plants. Perhaps you might address that?

This is not a 'proposal' it is reality.

"The shift away from fossil fuels in power generation has been pronounced in California, where tougher standards for cleaner air and fuel have become a model for the rest of the country and the world. Gas use dropped to 36 percent of the state’s electricity supply in 2016 from 42 percent a decade earlier, while renewables jumped to 25 percent from 11 percent over the same period, state data show.Renewables are dumping so much power onto the state’s grid -- on some days it can be more than half of all supply -- some generators are losing money because of weak wholesale electricity prices."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies