Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Not to be picayunish about terminology or definitions or labels & such, just opining the phrase 'legitimately homophobic' is an odd one.
I'm an odd girl. By legitimately homophobic, I was just saying they were homophobic, as opposed to just being a jerk about it.

Quote:
Apparently, some folks use Religion as their rationale for 'shunning', discriminating against, or denying the Humanity of those with same-sex orientation/preferences.

Particularly strange when it is Religion that is a choice & sexual orientation is not.
Agreed.

Quote:
Even here in my reply, I've likely used terminology or phrases that some folks might deem offensive.
I can't see how anyone could see anything offensive in what you've said.

Quote:
Not my intent to do so, just attempting (albeit perhaps feebly) to reiterate there is dignity in asserting one's full & natural born right to be counted as part of Humanity.
I definitely agree with this. That's actually the biggest reason one would 'come out', I have a blog post about that, written by another transperson.

If you'd like to read it, here is the link.
The Old Adventures of the New Kristine: Coming Out

'Picayunish' - thanks for teaching me a new word, very cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:14 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Who am I? How could I absolutely be sure about anything, much less this.

Why don't you tell me?

Why not inform the Gods while you're at it.

Well , as a former S Baptist who has gay friends and doesnt care about anyones sexual preference between consenting adults, let me tell you from being a part of them for decades is that they don't just hate the gays and use religion as an excuse to justify it, they believe the homosexual lifestyle to be sinful and against the wishes of God.

Mostly they are willing to let gays live their lives as they please, and let God deal with them as He/She/It will. They just don't want to be forced to have any sort of affiliation with officially sanctioning what they see as immoral and sinful behavior, which is why they resist having to provide services to gay weddings. In their opinion you are forcing them to condone and take part in sin themselves, and harming their relationship with God by making them do so or face punishment and possible loss of livelihood, which is why they resent it being forced on them.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I've known a few people who are legitimately homophobic, but to be honest, in my experience it is not common. The problem I see is the term can be applied haphazardly, and can be used as an ad homnem attack without justification.
Yes, absolutely. Similar to other terms such as racist and sexist. It's a way of shutting down the conversation and an attempt to slander anyone who doesn't think as they do.

Comments like the ones from this gay woman are taboo, especially on college campuses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceVoctpJOM

Old 02-09-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, absolutely. Similar to other terms such as racist and sexist. It's a way of shutting down the conversation and an attempt to slander anyone who doesn't think as they do.
Yes, exactly. I do believe homophobia exists, but as I said it is pretty rare. Homophobia is an aversion that seems close to dysphoric. It's a very, very intense aversion to gay people. It isn't just a fear.

Quote:
Comments like the ones from this gay woman are taboo, especially on college campuses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceVoctpJOM
[/quote]

I don't agree with her, but respect her opinion. Being an intellectual sponge, I'd listen to anyone, as long as they extended the same courtesy to me.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
There is a huge distinction between one's race and one's behavior. Race is what you are born with; the homosexual lifestyle is a chosen course for one's life.
Being that gay people live many different lives, what exactly is this homosexual "lifestyle"?

Old 02-09-2018, 05:09 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm an odd girl. By legitimately homophobic, I was just saying they were homophobic, as opposed to just being a jerk about it.

Agreed.

I can't see how anyone could see anything offensive in what you've said.

I definitely agree with this. That's actually the biggest reason one would 'come out', I have a blog post about that, written by another transperson.

If you'd like to read it, here is the link.
The Old Adventures of the New Kristine: Coming Out

'Picayunish' - thanks for teaching me a new word, very cool.
I like words too ~ I just added -ish to the word 'picayune' & to be honest, I dunno if it's even grammatically correct? There are several newspapers in the US called something like 'The Picayune'. They must apppreciate the word as a positive quality more than I do. When I think of the word, I think ~ petty, fiddling, lilliputian, little, piddling, piffling, trivial, unimportant & so on. ((Shrugs)) 'different strokes for different folks'. Gasp! what a concept.

I too am an 'odd girl' I think. So I'm sometimes told anyhow ~ as in 'an acquired taste', although personally I think that's a really nice way to put it. Having idiosyncrasies (another word I like ~ also idiosyncratic) is a very human quality. Personally I think it's often what makes us most lovable as a group, & is sometimes the quality that makes one individual most attractive to another. Sometimes even the slight imperfections make one more lovable & not less. Worshipping another is different though than loving another. Personally I feel worshipping should be set aside for the Gods, loving though is for us, we were meant for this, it's our purpose.

I do understand what you mean when you say, 'legitimately homophobic', I was thinking of it as in an oxymoronic context. I understood you were using it another context & appreciate that usage. I also agree it's not common to come across such.

I very much enjoyed reading your blog post, thank you for linking it here, many thanks, much respect, appreciate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies