Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They could have civil unions and not co-opt marriage and shouldn't receive survivor benefits because that was intended primarily for grandma or someone who at least could bear and raise children in lieu of working.
So children is the basis of marriage? So men/women couples should not be allowed to marry if they intend on not having children? Weak argument there bud.

At any rate we are all entitled to our opinions but on the subject of this thread and it's poll, it shows a slight drop on those being comfortable with LGBT people, but it also shows no decline when it comes to equality. Same sex marriage polls conducted during 2017 show an increase in support for marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:05 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Let me know when two men, or two women can procreate.

When heterosexual marriages are provisional and not final approved until the women spits out baby, you let us know.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Actually, the "intent" of marriage for many centuries had more to do with property rights than anything else. The marriage contract and ensuring that the bride was virginal before the wedding was crucial to keeping an intact line of inheritance. Seems even way back that people were more concerned with making sure their property went to the "right" people.
Actually marriage was a function that tied men to the women to ensure that men would be responsible and make sure the women and children that they fathered were taken care of.

It was to ensure that there were no single mothers or men fathering tons of children by different women.

Had absolutely nothing to do with property rights or women being possessions.

And how far we have come from that very specific function that kept families together and kids raised by two parents and combined responsibility of men and women.

Inheritance lines and "good breeding" were for the rich and royals. Not the other 96% of the population.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah but it was for their posterity. Gays don't have posterity or descendants.

I know gay men who have a kid and 3 grandkids, with no previous spouses or children before they married. Their descendants will inherit a good bit of money when the gay guys kick the bucket, specifically because the gay men are legally married and the kid their legal heir.

Try again.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
So children is the basis of marriage? So men/women couples should not be allowed to marry if they intend on not having children? Weak argument there bud.

At any rate we are all entitled to our opinions but on the subject of this thread and it's poll, it shows a slight drop on those being comfortable with LGBT people, but it also shows no decline when it comes to equality. Same sex marriage polls conducted during 2017 show an increase in support for marriage.
Traditionally, that is EXACTLY what marriage was based on to ensure that fathers stuck around and provided for the mother and child. It was a means to tie the man to the woman.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
LOL I meant gay in the traditional sense of the word. It was a pun.
Oh, I know what you meant. I took advantage of your nice admission though.

There are plenty of people out there like this guy - https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06e253269d34a

It's sad when religion gets in the way of being one's true self, which there is nothing at all wrong with being despite what people like you say. Out of the Duggar 19, statistically speaking, at least one of them is bound to be gay. But growing up in that family, he or she can never live happily, comfortable in his or her own skin. That's sad to me. There is no point in telling people, who cannot help how they are and how they feel and who may have grown up being taught that who they are is bad - yet they're still that person, and they can't change it despite wanting to and wishing they could and trying to hide it - that who they are is bad when they aren't hurting anyone and just want to be happy. That's why people like you are just sad.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Well, I think there is such a thing as too-much-in-your-face, and I also thing I'm probably not the only person who thinks that in these dangerously Trump times, LGBT issues are a stupid distraction.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I know gay men who have a kid and 3 grandkids, with no previous spouses or children before they married. Their descendants will inherit a good bit of money when the gay guys kick the bucket, specifically because the gay men are legally married and the kid their legal heir.

Try again.
What does that have to do with anything especially gay marriage or being gay or apparently bisexual?

Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything especially gay marriage or being gay or apparently bisexual?

It has to do with your post on posterity and descendants. And no, the kid did not come from one of them being bisexual. They adopted, raised a toddler into a man who !shock! is a heterosexual who has married and had 3 kids, hence they have 3 grandkids.

So like I said, try again.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
The biggest problem with the LGBT movement is their activists decided to make your little children to become transgender/gay the same way you would train a dog to do something stupid (reward/punishment cycles). They want to increase their numbers by trying to force normal children to turn, in pre-schools and other schools.
So the problem is they dont keep it to themselves, but ruining lives of others to get what they want. Pushing LGBT propaganda to underage children should be a felony pedophilia and child abuse. Those activist teachers to be taken to prisons for many years.
I'm glad you bright this up. There was a Gay kid at my school growing up, his parents were Evangelical Christians. He was taught that what he was, was a disease. He killed himself by hanging when he just graduated middle school. Think about similar kids like him that are taught in school now that who he is, is biological and not a disease. I'm glad schools are a support system now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies