Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 12:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No one has to, just like no one has to accept someone who is anti-LGBT. But usually, tolerance and acceptance lead to a happier existence for everyone.
right, so people pushing lgbt acceptance should also accept racist views too, i'm not saying they have to "convert" but they should learn to tolerate them if they are spewing tolerance as their motto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 02:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
right, so people pushing lgbt acceptance should also accept racist views too, i'm not saying they have to "convert" but they should learn to tolerate them if they are spewing tolerance as their motto
False dichotomy.

LGBT people just want to live their lives in dignity and safety.

Racists want to exclude or restrict other people based on their prejudices. That's not live and let live.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue I see is the stupid comments by the posters who are saying homosexuality is flaunted in public but aren't smart enough to see heterosexuality is just as flaunted and we don't even bat an eye.
Because it's "the norm." No one notices it when, in their eyes, there isn't anything interesting or unusual to notice. I 100% agree that heterosexual people flaunt their sexuality, so I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just providing an explanation as to why people don't provide or even see examples of it and only think homosexual people flaunt their sexuality in public. However, when this is pointed out - that heteros do it too - the normal, not discriminatory-based reaction would be "wait yeah you're right." Because it's true. But people will still dig their heels in and claim it's only the gays who do it.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
False dichotomy.

Racists want to exclude or restrict other people based on their prejudices. That's not live and let live.
Many LGBT people want to push their lifestyles onto others. They want to force others to accept them. They don't live and just live. This is the reason we're seeing more people being less comfortable with LGBT people.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Don't make the bakers the victims. They broke local anti-discrimination laws. That's the point of the suits. It's not a "you hurt my feelings!" thing, it's a "you broke local law" thing. Amazing how people like you can twist facts and others will fall into your trap. You've probably fallen into a trap yourself, thinking this.
And the anti-discrimination laws break the great law that came way before it. The FIRST AMENDMENT.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:39 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Again, oh please.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get married to one of the same sex.

OTOH, you can't let your prejudices (and yes, it's a prejudice) prevent others from exercising that right, which has been affirmed by the Supreme Court.
We don't like gay marriage yet you want to force us to engage with it. So your argument really is hypocritical.

Quote:

Not only that, you also can't refuse public accommodation to others based on what they are. Which is why those bakers got in trouble - it's a business and a public accommodation that you have to make available to the public.
We can refuse public accomodation based on a practice, an event or activity. That has NOTHING to do with the individual's personal identity which is the basis for discrimination law. A gay man walks into a pet store and tells the owner that he wants to buy some cute dogs to BBQ and eat them. The owner refuses to sell. The owner is not discriminating because the man is gay. He is discriminating against the practice.

Get the difference??

Quote:

Discrimination is discrimination. And it's pathetic that some people are trying to use the fig leaf of religion to practice it.
Discrimination is a broad base term that can be used to enslave people.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Because it's "the norm." No one notices it when, in their eyes, there isn't anything interesting or unusual to notice. I 100% agree that heterosexual people flaunt their sexuality, so I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just providing an explanation as to why people don't provide or even see examples of it and only think homosexual people flaunt their sexuality in public. However, when this is pointed out - that heteros do it too - the normal, not discriminatory-based reaction would be "wait yeah you're right." Because it's true. But people will still dig their heels in and claim it's only the gays who do it.
I know it is the norm and I take part in it but I'm no hypocrite when it comes to gays or bisexuals doing it too. If they want to kiss or hold hands, who am I to judge while I'm holding my date/girflriend/wife's hand? I have no moral background, nor do any other heterosexual deriding homosexuals and bisexuals for doing what they do in public

Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,287,715 times
Its really just politically correct semantics. Anyone trying to seriously put forth the concept that people whose body is biologically one sex while their brain tells them they are the opposite sex don't have mental issues has lost their marbles. This is the very definition of a mental illness, disorder,abnormality, or whatever term one wants to use to describe a deviation from the norm of having your bio sex and brain sex is sync.

There was a thread not long ago asking what is so wrong with political correctness. Post 272 would be Exhibit A as to why.We are now told silly things such as a person who thinks they are a different sex than their reproductive organs indicate doesn't actually have a mental illness . And it has only to do with the desire not to hurt the feelings of those suffering from this disorder. This is why PC can go wrong and run amok. It can even cause us to attempt to deny reality because the reality of what we observe may hurt the feelings of some.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,263,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Their are choices in life. Own who you are and wear it like a badge of honor. Or let your conscious run your life.
So, you "chose" to be straight? Cool story, bro.

Pssst - "conscious" is an adjective. Care to give it another try?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Maybe it has changed since I went to school, but in gym class, and for school sports, kids changed clothes in their respective men's, and women's locker rooms.
I don't know any school that still requires 4 years of PE. Most of that has given way to extracurricular sports activities; training with specific clubs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteur View Post
I feel the same way about the fanatically religious, fanatically political, racists, bigots, and misogynists.
Mental health issues for sure.

Quote:
False dichotomy.

So true. Some people can 'evolve' on the lgbt issue when they find that their friend is gay, or their boss, or nephew, cousin, child.

Others will never be able to see any gay person as a human being to be treated with fairness and dignity.

I feel sorry for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies