Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:22 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,901,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
robots are tools created, guided and operated by humans just as a hammers, ratchets, screwdrivers etc.
"Government will have to do something"Are you saying govt should punish businesses for developing greater efficiencies?
No I'm saying they should help pay the social costs of a nation they are profiting in. If you just live on capital and don't care what happens to the rest of the country you may not think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:24 AM

34,131 posts, read 17,188,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No I'm saying they should help pay the social costs of a nation they are profiting in. If you just live on capital and don't care what happens to the rest of the country you may not think so.
Corps are not in business to create jobs.

Jobs are a by product of corps.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Corps are not in business to create jobs.

Jobs are a by product of corps.
Right but I'm not arguing what corps want to do. I'm arguing what a society and their government might want to do, to keep their country from becoming like latin America. I didn't know we had to let corporations have everything their way and pull all the strings.

the way I see it jobs are a product of supply and demand.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 AM

45,290 posts, read 26,536,890 times
Quote:
Right but I'm not arguing what corps want to do. I'm arguing what a society and their government might want to do, to keep their country from becoming like latin America. I didn't know we had to let corporations have everything their way and pull all the strings.

What might the govt do?

Old 01-28-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What might the govt do?
What do they always do tax and regulate. They may tax automation if comes to the point where it is eliminating too many jobs.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:53 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,828,020 times
Quote:

But if everything is automated what might those jobs be?

Old 01-28-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
But if everything is automated what might those jobs be?
Who knows. I meant that supply and demand creates jobs not so much automation and corporations. People use to think in the optimistic 1950s automation would mean shorter work weeks and higher wages. That didn't happen.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,828,020 times
Quote:
Who knows. I meant that supply and demand creates jobs not so much automation and corporations. People use to think in the optimistic 1950s automation would mean shorter work weeks and higher wages. That didn't happen.
I was watching a program last week about making cars. It was made in the past year or so.

It was like watching a science fiction movie. The machines did almost everything, the robotic arms were incredible. There were a few people working there but it was quite obvious that they were not needed.

I mean if you have a warehouse and don't need workers and can build cars the same way the end is near,

Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
What do they always do tax and regulate. They may tax automation if comes to the point where it is eliminating too many jobs.
about the time we see flying pigs

Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I was watching a program last week about making cars. It was made in the past year or so.

It was like watching a science fiction movie. The machines did almost everything, the robotic arms were incredible. There were a few people working there but it was quite obvious that they were not needed.

I mean if you have a warehouse and don't need workers and can build cars the same way the end is near,
Nonsense.

I toured Nissan's plant more than a decade ago. A ton of robots, plus thousands of employees, too.

Auto plants will always need a mix of both. Nissan net headcount is UP versus when I toured them with many other local businessmen. (I was living nearby then.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies