Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So would all the money Bush spent in Iraq.
Obviously, you didn't read the report.

Only 1,900 of the 54,000 bridges are on interstate highways. The remainder are on highways owned by States or counties.

States and counties need to come up with the money to fix their own infrastructures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I think some of you are missing the point. Our infrastructure is falling apart and nobody seems as concerned about that as they are with sending money and troops to other countries. Forget whose budget it comes out of - the Federal government could subsidize some of this if they weren't sending it everywhere else.

I'm also of the mind that we need to pour our resources into us for a change. I'm surprised by some of the responses here.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:53 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The problem I have with closing Gitmo is the recidivism rate of those released.
They should at least be afforded a trial. To hold them without charges/trial to me is a grave injustice. If they are guilty, lock them up... if not, release them.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:04 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
They should at least be afforded a trial. To hold them without charges/trial to me is a grave injustice. If they are guilty, lock them up... if not, release them.
They should do something with them, but if any of them are proven murdering, rapist, slaving ISIS or Al Queda members, they could throw them into a human trash compactor for all I care.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Then we would be treating them better than our own, though, since we have people locked up for years with no trial date in sight.

I happen to think it's wrong to do it to either group, by the way.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm surprised by some of the responses here.
Perhaps it's because you don't understand the Conservative desire for good government.

If States and counties cannot maintain the 54,107 bridges (out of 56,007) that are structurally deficient and owned by States and counties, then they are not being governed efficiently, and that needs to change.

If business and industry start fleeing States who cannot maintain their infrastructure and relocating to States that do, that's just to bad. The people in those infrastructure-deficient States, being unemployed and severely depressed, can rectify the situation by voting for good efficient government.

It's not up to me, as a resident of Ohio, to make sure that residents in California have jobs and the infrastructure to support business and industry, so that they can have jobs.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The problem I have with closing Gitmo is the recidivism rate of those released.
Recidivism rate? They haven’t been convicted of a crime.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Perhaps it's because you don't understand the Conservative desire for good government.

If States and counties cannot maintain the 54,107 bridges (out of 56,007) that are structurally deficient and owned by States and counties, then they are not being governed efficiently, and that needs to change.

If business and industry start fleeing States who cannot maintain their infrastructure and relocating to States that do, that's just to bad. The people in those infrastructure-deficient States, being unemployed and severely depressed, can rectify the situation by voting for good efficient government.

It's not up to me, as a resident of Ohio, to make sure that residents in California have jobs and the infrastructure to support business and industry, so that they can have jobs.
Yeah, but you as an Ohioan might have to actually drive over a California bridge at some point.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
...there’s always money for Afghanistan, operations in Iraq and Syria, aid for Israel and Egypt (and a host of other nations), stationing of troops all over the world, etc

But hey...let’s let the bridges rot!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...fographic/amp/
and for 24 years under Clinton, Bush and Obama the DOT budget was cut or rose at a minuscule level

Old 02-04-2018, 05:32 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I am for sane fiscal policy, in theory at least.

What does that have to do with the OP which could be summarized as "If not for A, then we could have B."
"in theory at least."

Sounds like some in in academia.

All "theory" and NO real experience in the subject they try to tell the rest of us abort who DO have the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies