Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,947,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It is you who are being subjective, not me.

I didn't say it was good or bad, I only stated what it is. Come down off your soapbox.
You used Trump's phrase "clean beautiful coal" minus the quotation marks, thus implying that you shared his view. If you do not, it is not clear from your post.

You also referred to the "war on coal" as if it was real. it was not. Weak regulations designed to spare human life and at least make a gesture towards coalfield restoration are hardly a "war on coal".
I agree that the market for coal in this country is dying, if not dead, due to fracking (questionable in itself for environmental reasons) and a resulting glut of natural gas.

That leaves exports. I do not think destroying ancient mountains which can never be restored is worth the very temporary financial "profit" obtained by selling coal to Third World nations.

I am not being "subjective". I have been following the impact of the coal industry in Appalachia for around 50 years, and I know what I have seen and learned.

My opinions are founded in experience and fact, and I think I've earned that "soapbox".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM

11,242 posts, read 8,346,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Or like Obamacare is an oxymoron like "great healthcare".
That's only an oxymoron here in the USA, thanks to our worthless senators and representatives.

If you need more evidence it is not an oxymoron, look at THEIR healthcare. That's pretty great. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the same....

Old 01-31-2018, 01:56 PM

25,885 posts, read 16,605,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Can someone explain what this statement from President's Trump's speech means?

In a previous thread conservatives made it very clear to me that they were not against what is known as renewable energies but more so the government subsidies they receive. I'd like to hear more on what peoples thoughts are on the "beautiful, clean coal" remark.
Do you have any idea what completely eliminating coal usage in power production and industry will do to the economy? Wind energy is a nice supplement, natural gas is a nice peak fuel. But nuclear and coal is the backbone of the grid. Look at the average home these days. How many computers, how many TV’s and the poorest people in Alabama have AC.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:04 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,582,127 times
Quote:

In a previous thread conservatives made it very clear to me that they were not against what is known as renewable energies but more so the government subsidies they receive. I'd like to hear more on what peoples thoughts are on the "beautiful, clean coal" remark.
It means Trump is a bona fide idiot.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do you have any idea what completely eliminating coal usage in power production and industry will do to the economy? Wind energy is a nice supplement, natural gas is a nice peak fuel. But nuclear and coal is the backbone of the grid. Look at the average home these days. How many computers, how many TV’s and the poorest people in Alabama have AC.
In 1997 coal provided 53% of power.
in 2015 coal provided 33% of power.

..and the rate of change is accelerating.

So to answer your question, given current trends it will do absolutely nothing to the economy.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,345,093 times
Quote:

It was a dog whistle for Trump's base, especially the base that lives in rural 'coal' areas. Those people desperately want to believe and want to be told that their coal mining way of life is coming back. They don't want the truth, that the market has moved on from coal. Trump is telling them what they want to hear so they will keep voting for him. Both the GOP and Trump know that coal is a dying industry, but they have to lie about it because they need the votes. I personally think it is time that someone tells these people the truth, the coal jobs are gone forever and you and your kids are going to have to learn to do something else for a living most likely in a different part of the country.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,240,318 times
People mentioning that coal extraction and processing is polluting and trying to say that Trump is mistaken or lying are being disingenuous. "Clean coal" refers only to the ability to burn coal in power plants cleanly. That's all.

We can use coal for power generation, cleanly, and we do. Unlike China, which spins up a new coal plant every month and doesn't require any emissions controls for the plant.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,747,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
In 1997 coal provided 53% of power.
in 2015 coal provided 33% of power.

..and the rate of change is accelerating.

So to answer your question, given current trends it will do absolutely nothing to the economy.
Incorrect as usual.

Coal consumption for electricity generation rose 5.9% in November alone. Source is eia.gov.

Sure sign that Obama's war on Coal is over.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:49 PM

25,885 posts, read 16,605,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect as usual.

Coal consumption for electricity generation rose 5.9% in November alone. Source is eia.gov.

Sure sign that Obama's war on Coal is over.
It wasn’t even worthy of a response because it’s obvious the numbers taken on the lowest load day.

Whatever, seems everyone has an angle here.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,666,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Become a Republican and you will have access to all knowledge censored by the Dems and Leftist media.
What knowledge are you speaking of?

Knowledge like pollution from coal power plants killing at least 7,500 American each year.
Death and Disease from Power Plants - Clean Air Task Force (CATF)

Or republicans doing favors for the coal corporations simply because they give republicans campaign money.
https://www.opensecrets.org/industri...2018&ind=E1210

Or knowledge how today in America solar, wind, and alternative energy industries employ 5x more workers than coal, gas, and oil industries.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/lara-et...uel-employment

And how each year the number of solar jobs increases by about 25%, and solar energy jobs are growing 12x faster than the rest of the economy.
U.S. Solar Jobs Rose 24.5% to Surpass Fossil Fuel Power Plant Workers
Solar-energy jobs are growing 12 times as fast as the US economy - Business Insider

Republicans have no knowledge, rather they have delusional and factless soundbites formed by the corporations that give republicans campaign money, like “We have ended the war on American Energy and we have ended the war on beautiful, clean coal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies