Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:05 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,467,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You said that Coal was permanently in decline.

You were proven wrong.

Case closed.

And it's good that even you admit that when base load requirements rise, US Industry turns to coal. This speaks for itself. The community agitator's war on coal is over.
so If we use more coal on Wed then we did on Tue that means coal is no longer in a decline? Are you actually trying to make this argument? Did you get lost on the way to the Yo GabaGaba message board with that type of logic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:05 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,425,310 times
Quote:

You were proven wrong.

Case closed.

And it's good that even you admit that when base load requirements rise, US Industry turns to coal. This speaks for itself. The community agitator's war on coal is over.
LOL. And heres the same groups outlook for it:

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/report/coal.php

Coal is going to continue to decline. Thats a fact Waldokitty. Its not because of any environmental reason either, its because fracking has made natural gas so much cheaper. Now if we banned fracking, it might go the other way. But currently we are decommissioning coal plants regularly-even relatively modern ones.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,334,690 times
There is no such thing as "clean coal" and all that's happening in the coal industry is that automation is taking over.

All Trump is doing is ensuring that his buddies who are in the c-suite in coal companies are going to get rich.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,663,728 times
Quote:

You were proven wrong.

Case closed.

Coal jobs have been declining since 1950, and coal jobs have been in massive decline since 1985. And the reasons for this decline are machines taking the place of miners and other power sources like natural gas taking the place of coal.
https://siepr.stanford.edu/sites/def...?itok=DUhQSgXl
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...employment.png
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.dce780361ca2

Republican politicians strongly support coal power because coal corporations give republicans campaign money.
https://www.opensecrets.org/industri...2018&ind=E1210

Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,935,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
People mentioning that coal extraction and processing is polluting and trying to say that Trump is mistaken or lying are being disingenuous. "Clean coal" refers only to the ability to burn coal in power plants cleanly. That's all.

We can use coal for power generation, cleanly, and we do. Unlike China, which spins up a new coal plant every month and doesn't require any emissions controls for the plant.
Those who think that clean burning coal is the whole story would do well to examine just where that "clean coal" comes from, and how it is obtained. See my previous posts in this thread.

Or just look at Google Earth. See Perry or Knott or Harlan or Pike or Bell County, Kentucky, for vivid examples of what mountaintop removal does to the natural landscape and what it leaves behind.

Do you think it is ethical to sell American coal obtained through Appalachian mountaintop removal to the Chinese, knowing it will not be burned cleanly and will cause air pollution and related problems for Chinese citizens who have no say in its use? It's a dirty process, from start to finish, in more than one way.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,425,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Do you think it is ethical to sell American coal obtained through Appalachian mountaintop removal to the Chinese, knowing it will not be burned cleanly and will cause air pollution and related problems for Chinese citizens who have no say in its use? It's a dirty process, from start to finish, in more than one way.
Well....America first I guess.

The pollution there is absolutely terrifying. My first couple of weeks I just thought it was weird how foggy it was. Once the grey snot started showing up, and I took a trip out of town I realized......thats not fog. I had no concept pollution could be that bad.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 PM

25,869 posts, read 16,585,260 times
If not for coal and oil development and production at least half of us wouldn’t be here. At least half. I guess to liberal human haters maybe they would volunteer to be the ones never born?

Old 01-31-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If not for coal and oil development and production at least half of us wouldn’t be here. At least half. I guess to liberal human haters maybe they would volunteer to be the ones never born?
sorry, how dose this refute the decline of coal? I;m missing my decoder ring....

Old 01-31-2018, 03:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,354,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its misdirection. There was no real war on coal, coal simply became economically a bad choice, frakking has released a ton of natural gas that is cheaper then coal. The attempt to call it "clean coal" is as moronic of a marketing attempt as you might suspect.
Sure. The Democrats made sure it was an "economically bad choice." Coal is cheap. They were making it very expensive. It's called "regulation." Raising the price of something through regulation is what Democrats do to ensure it's demise. That's what they did to the coal industry.

They also tried it with the auto industry by constantly increasing the emission standards. There intent was to bring about the demise of the ICE and force acceptance of electric cars. President Trump saved the auto industry by repealing the latest of those ridiculous standards the Obama administration rammed through.

And, by the way, you must have missed that the Left is attacking "fracking" too.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Sure. The Democrats made sure it was an "economically bad choice." Coal is cheap. They were making it very expensive. It's called "regulation." Raising the price of something through regulation is what Democrats do to ensure it's demise. That's what they did to the coal industry.

sure, had nothing do to with free market and price of natural gas at all...all Evil Obama plotting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies