Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:12 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Coal is dead like it should be. We don't need anyone dying in collapsed mines and dying from black lung disease. Renewable energy is the future.
True, unless you like having electricity on nights with no wind. If you like having electricity on windless nights, you’ll need to rely on coal (and natural gas) for backup.

The Germans recently discovered that the sun doesn’t always shine and the wind doesn’t always blow, so they are building *new coal plants* to compensate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I fail to understand why the United States can't make efficient use of ALL forms of energy to serve our energy needs.

Seems like common sense to me.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

The Germans recently discovered that the sun doesn’t always shine and the wind doesn’t always blow, so they are building *new coal plants* to compensate.
Indeed.

And this is NOT brought to you by the MSM.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This practice has led to boulders rolling downhill into houses below and killing little children as they slept in their beds.
I did a google search and came up with this:

Child's death by mine boulder sets off avalanche of rage - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

It's a heart-breaking tragedy, and may that innocent little child rest in peace. I can't even imagine how the parents of that boy killed by the boulder must feel. But to be fair, the accident (and that's what it was, an accident) was caused by widening a road. I suppose one could say that the road wouldn't have been widened in the absence of the mining; but it's not the mining itself that caused this tragedy.

You described this in the plural. Have there been other similar tragedies?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Coal is dead like it should be. We don't need anyone dying in collapsed mines and dying from black lung disease. Renewable energy is the future.
Why is it, then, that so many liberals are dead-set against the ultimate clean, renewable energy source: nuclear power?

Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
The vast majority of our coal no longer comes from the Eastern mines. only 11% from WV.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...age=coal_where

Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I did a google search and came up with this:

Child's death by mine boulder sets off avalanche of rage - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

It's a heart-breaking tragedy, and may that innocent little child rest in peace. I can't even imagine how the parents of that boy killed by the boulder must feel. But to be fair, the accident (and that's what it was, an accident) was caused by widening a road. I suppose one could say that the road wouldn't have been widened in the absence of the mining; but it's not the mining itself that caused this tragedy.

You described this in the plural. Have there been other similar tragedies?
The private dirt road in question was part of a strip mine site in southwestern Virginia, and construction was being illegally done at night. It was not a public road at all.

A loosened boulder rolled down Black Mountain and into the bedroom of little Jeremy Davidson, crushing the child to death in his bed.

Look into West Virginia's Buffalo Creek disaster for accounts of other innocent lives lost to Big Coal. Look into the dark history of Kentucky's broad form deed, and the havoc its use wreaked on the Cumberland Mountains.

There have many many, many instances of houses damaged and destroyed by coal operations, of streams poisoned by strip mining and mountaintop removal by the chemicals inevitably released into ground water by such practices. There have been vastly worsened floods due to the removal of forests and topsoil in mountainous terrain. One of Kentucky's finest former governors was drowned in such a flood. There are communities subsisting on bottled water, due to chemical pollution of natural water supplies beyond the point that water companies can correct the problem.

I have seen hollows swept bare of houses and vegetation, with creekbeds filled with boulders and downed tree, caused by strip mining. Many of those creeks are tributaries of the Kentucky River, which supplies Central Kentucky, including Lexington, with its public water.

Little Jeremy's story is but one of many tragedies caused by irresponsible coal operations in the southern Appalachians.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If I'm not mistaken that beautiful clean coal means that we are mining coal again and exporting most of it.

The war on energy was regulating coal out of existence and forcing generation plants to rework to run on NatGas, which has been done. These plants aren't ever going to burn coal again, at least not as long as we are swimming in the stuff (NG).

Under Trump's admin, we are becoming a net exporter of energy (coal, natgas, oil, byproducts...etc.) rather than being an importer. It's the new energy independence initiatives.
We never stopped mining coal.

Any coal jobs gained are offset by the closing of other mines.

We're stagnant - just like we were.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Trump's renewable energy cuts alarm former officials - Jun. 8, 2017

Never mind that energy sector jobs are growing faster then coal. Never mind that China is now in position to be a world leader in exporting solar panels. Never mind that renewable energy is what the public wants. What is Trump's motivation to diminish our position on renewable energy? Some secret business deal he made for himself with China at our expense? A big favor to his oil and gas cronies? Who knows. His shrinking base thinks it's great and a vote is a vote.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The private dirt road in question was part of a strip mine site in southwestern Virginia, and construction was being illegally done at night. It was not a public road at all.

A loosened boulder rolled down Black Mountain and into the bedroom of little Jeremy Davidson, crushing the child to death in his bed.

Look into West Virginia's Buffalo Creek disaster for accounts of other innocent lives lost to Big Coal. Look into the dark history of Kentucky's broad form deed, and the havoc its use wreaked on the Cumberland Mountains.

There have many many, many instances of houses damaged and destroyed by coal operations, of streams poisoned by strip mining and mountaintop removal by the chemicals inevitably released into ground water by such practices. There have been vastly worsened floods due to the removal of forests and topsoil in mountainous terrain. One of Kentucky's finest former governors was drowned in such a flood. There are communities subsisting on bottled water, due to chemical pollution of natural water supplies beyond the point that water companies can correct the problem.

I have seen hollows swept bare of houses and vegetation, with creekbeds filled with boulders and downed tree, caused by strip mining. Many of those creeks are tributaries of the Kentucky River, which supplies Central Kentucky, including Lexington, with its public water.

Little Jeremy's story is but one of many tragedies caused by irresponsible coal operations in the southern Appalachians.
It sounds like you have a problem with Freedom. Why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate America?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies