Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I do not begrudge anyone who gets subsidies For their health insurance because the idea of people dying on the street and kids dying of cancer and other diseases because of lack of medical coverage bothers me. Maybe not you, but it does me. That is a topic for another day.

In the United States, no one dies from a lack of health insurance coverage.

The outrageous premium and deductible increases under Obamacare made insurance unaffordable and unusable for many more people than it helped.

What does help is miners going back to work.

Those are mostly union jobs and that means they get really good insurance, but that only happens if they have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,402,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really? I will have to go tell my mom she isnt actually dead! Its great news! Somehow she was able to go see a dr about that minor issue that was cancer before it became terminal! Instead she learned about it after being brought into the ER. Far far too late.

Lack of insurance kills.

Or go tell my friend that hey, he didn't have to choose not to have the regular dialysis as somehow magically it was covered..... Here is a hint, he choose to die rather then leave his family burdened with the debts from dialysis after he lost his job and insurance.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:37 PM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
There is no such thing as "clean coal" and all that's happening in the coal industry is that automation is taking over.

All Trump is doing is ensuring that his buddies who are in the c-suite in coal companies are going to get rich.
And that other countries retain their leadership position in the energy markets of the future, but who cares? We don't need no stinkin' innovation, we need for the GOP donor class to get richer, now.

A propos, here's a photo of the Secretary of Energy giving mineowner Robert E. Murray a big ole bear hug. Awww....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/17/b...pher.html?_r=0

Fans of Murrray will be happy to know the photographer lost his job. Murray has a really big problem with a free press, it gives him a sad. They tell when his company's unsafe practices kill miners, and that's just unfair, what with him being rich and all.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:38 PM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
That would be what we call a "lie". Have a read, if you can handle something that doesn't say "Fox": https://www.texasobserver.org/a-galv...he-safety-net/

Quote:
There’s a popular myth that the uninsured—in Texas, that’s 25 percent of us—can always get medical care through emergency rooms. ...
The myth is based on a 1986 federal law called the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), which states that hospitals with emergency rooms have to accept and stabilize patients who are in labor or who have an acute medical condition that threatens life or limb. That word “stabilize” is key: Hospital ERs don’t have to treat you. They just have to patch you up to the point where you’re not actively dying.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-31-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 07:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,917,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The problem with this statement is we know from history the stability of the coal market, the natural gas market is whole other ballgame and is still quite volatile. I don't think that will change especially when they start exporting huge quantities of it.
The history of the coal market is one of boom and bust, going back decades.

I agree that natural gas is volatile and unpredictable long-term. However, at present it's doing extremely well, undeniably.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,917,721 times
Quote:

The outrageous premium and deductible increases under Obamacare made insurance unaffordable and unusable for many more people than it helped.

Those are mostly union jobs and that means they get really good insurance, but that only happens if they have a job.

Where are these union coal mines of which you speak?

John L. is long gone, and so are the glory days of the UMWA.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,041,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its misdirection. There was no real war on coal, coal simply became economically a bad choice, frakking has released a ton of natural gas that is cheaper then coal. The attempt to call it "clean coal" is as moronic of a marketing attempt as you might suspect.
Exactly. It's just more lies and misdirection from Trump and the cultists who think that going backwards in every way imaginable is now "patriotic." I'm surprised Trump didn't announce some insane plan to spend government money putting coal-fired locomotives back on our rails, because that makes about as much sense as his "beautiful, clean coal" lunatic claim. He's nuts, as are the worst of his base.

I also appreciate the bigoted irony to it all. In right-wing land, if a bunch of poor, brown people can't find a job in the inner city, they should move. But, if a bunch of poor, white people can't find a job in coal country, we should elect a lunatic and pretend coal is clean and an economically viable path for the future.

Meanwhile, even in China, they have figured out that coal is neither beautiful nor clean.

https://futurism.com/china-is-outpac...ing-emissions/

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...climate-change

Note that the second link comes from the Christian Science Monitor, hardly a "left-wing" website. So, even the far-right is aware of this fact... while Trump continues to be a tool, pandering to his most gullible base.

Last edited by Rambler123; 01-31-2018 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 07:36 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,041,468 times
Quote:

Is this supposed to be a joke? Nobody dies from a lack of health insurance? You have to be kidding.

Raul Labrador's claim that no one dies from lack of health care access: Pants on Fire | PolitiFact

That is simply gross, and laughably, incorrect. Estimates have ranged up to 45,000 a year dying from a lack of coverage.

As for the rest, if one really think Trump is going to wave his magic hairpiece and transport America back 100 years to the good old days of coal - steam locomotives and all, than I have useless wall to sell you.

Come, on people. The facts are a matter of record. Clean coal is a joke, coal itself has been in serious decline for business reasons for many decades, and no amount of lying idiocy spewed by the King in Orange is going to change that. Quit pretending that there are countless towns full of skilled miners just waiting to go outside, flip a switch on their mining gear, and make America rich again. That is utter BS.

Last edited by Rambler123; 01-31-2018 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,801,626 times
Originally Posted by ZUMAN
Or like Obamacare is an oxymoron like "great healthcare".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
His healthcare was better than none at all and I know plenty of people were happy with it....but I digress.
Yep... I know the people who ended up paying twice as much for theirs, lost their doctors and plans, and susidized the people you know.

I also know a lot of people who ended up on Medicaid which is the same as not really having anything but access to the same free clinics lower income people have always had access to.

BTW, they are still told to go straight to the ER for any medical emergency. If people thought they were going to stop subsidizing ER visits? EHHHH, wrong answer... now you subsidize 3x more.

Better than nothing isn't always better than nothing.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:02 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,555,349 times
^^ This is the energy thread, not the healthcare thread. Stay on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies