Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:56 AM

15,536 posts, read 10,512,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Has anybody answered the following questions?

1.) Why was the truck on the tracks in a position to be hit by the train?

2.) Why did the truck not pull off the track as the train approached?

3.) Why did the train not slow down or sound its whistle as it bore down on the truck?

My apologies for not putting up a post that tries to bash Democrats or Republicans. But I've been curious about the train crash, and though this might be a place to get some info about that.
People kept saying dump truck or trash truck, but it looked like an eighteen wheeler to me. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard they tried to beat the train. That doesn't seem very realistic to me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 AM

8,939 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
People kept saying dump truck or trash truck, but it looked like an eighteen wheeler to me. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard they tried to beat the train. That doesn't seem very realistic to me though.
They keep saying dump truck, and the reference to trash truck tells me that is what they were carrying. Looking at the front part, I don't see a fifth wheel, plus on the underside of the bed, I see remnants of the lift device, so I would say dump truck.

And, yes, it appears they tried to get across the track ahead of the train.

The original story said "stuck on the tracks" but witnesses said
it pulled onto the tracks just before the train got there, and didn't
get over them in time. There is a sharp curve in the road just off
of the tracks, so the truck would have had to be running slowly.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:53 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Snowflaking is over something trivial, like not letting your kid go to college X because that's where Hillary or Obama etc. went to school.

Mocking a serious accident is pretty low and not appreciating the "humor" of politicizing a fatal accident does not fit that definition if one were to stop and think it over.
I agree with this.

I never knew making fun of somebody's death is considered "funny."

How low can people go?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
You guys don’t like being PC. So, with that, I say...Get Over It!
It is not about being pc, it is about basic human decency.

Will you teach your children to be cruel and mean like this?

When you insult or criticize someone else, it may say more about how you are feeling about yourself than the other person.

Insecurity over ourselves drives much of the cruelty in the world.

how can someone have it in them to be so nasty and hurtful?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Personally, I think the original joke is funny (assuming no injury, as he did), though, it’s a joke I wouldn’t make. It would be in poor taste if someone made the joke knowing someone died.

Still though, my point stands: It’s hypocritical of Trump fans to take offense to the original joke and intent.
Two wrongs don't make one right.

If Trump made fun of an accident or somebody's death, he should be criticized as well.

No double standard.

I understand different people have different sense of humor. But as a decent human being, making fun of a train accident is pretty low.

You have no ideas what people might feel at the moment. How scared they must have been trapped in that train. Something like this can happen to any of you. Karma is a you know what!

Bird strikes are a significant threat to flight safety, and have caused a number of accidents with human casualties. Some low life might find that funny too. "oh look , birds cause a airplane crush. Haha" Is it really funny?

How old is this person? My six year old nephew's first reaction would be, "oh I wish nobody got hurt."

Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Snowflaking is over something trivial, like not letting your kid go to college X because that's where Hillary or Obama etc. went to school.

Mocking a serious accident is pretty low and not appreciating the "humor" of politicizing a fatal accident does not fit that definition if one were to stop and think it over.
Mocking someone with disabilities was labeled snowflaking. Bragging about sexual assault (grab them by the P----) was labeled snowflaking. Both were done by then Presidential Candidate.

Were they trivial? Or are you just cherry-picking rage when it fits your agenda.

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project

(I am going with 1 & 3 for this instance)

Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Mocking someone with disabilities was labeled snowflaking. Bragging about sexual assault (grab them by the P----) was labeled snowflaking. Both were done by then Presidential Candidate.

Were they trivial? Or are you just cherry-picking rage when it fits your agenda.

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project

(I am going with 1 & 3 for this instance)
I didn't see the poster you were quoting cherry-picking rage at all.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I didn't see the poster you were quoting cherry-picking rage at all.

Actually you did. You commented on it further up this page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montage of lilyflower quotes on this page
If Trump made fun of an accident or somebody's death, he should be criticized as well.

-

It is not about being pc, it is about basic human decency.

Will you teach your children to be cruel and mean like this?

When you insult or criticize someone else, it may say more about how you are feeling about yourself than the other person.

-

I agree with this.

I never knew making fun of somebody's death is considered "funny."

How low can people go?
To have rage on the things you just cited, and especially given the reasons you gave, it is cherry-picking.

How is mocking a disabled reporter, or bragging about sexual assault "about human decency"? The only explanation is that you are cherry picking rage.

The reporter's joke did not even mention deaths. It may have been in poor taste, but to characterize it as joking about death is disingenuous. He was joking about the metaphor of a train of politicians running into a garbage truck. About "trainwreck" and "going off the rails" and "garbage". I made the same joke yesterday BEFORE it was reported about the deaths. It may have been in poor taste, but I could not have even been joking about that if I wanted to, it was not known at the time.

And to top it all off, the mindless drivel of this post, trying to vilify CNN for a guy who is not on their staff. Maybe you should vilify Fox, I heard the had Hillary on once.....

Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 AM

8,939 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Mocking someone with disabilities was labeled snowflaking. ...
When, where, was this?

Last edited by TRex2; 02-01-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Quote:
Actually you did. You commented on it further up this page.

To have rage on the things you just cited, and especially given the reasons you gave, it is cherry-picking.

How is mocking a disabled reporter, or bragging about sexual assault "about human decency"? The only explanation is that you are cherry picking rage.

The reporter's joke did not even mention deaths. It may have been in poor taste, but to characterize it as joking about death is disingenuous. He was joking about the metaphor of a train of politicians running into a garbage truck. About "trainwreck" and "going off the rails" and "garbage". I made the same joke yesterday BEFORE it was reported about the deaths. It may have been in poor taste, but I could not have even been joking about that if I wanted to, it was not known at the time.

And to top it all off, the mindless drivel of this post, trying to vilify CNN for a guy who is not on their staff. Maybe you should vilify Fox, I heard the had Hillary on once.....

This.^

Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies