Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are women really paid less for doing the same job with the same quality?
Yes. We have stats to support this. 33 25.98%
No. The stats are wrong because they don't account for factors such as type of jobs or tenure. 89 70.08%
I don't know. 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
That does not tell us that they get paid less for the same work, just that you have swallowed the Democrat left's "Politically correct" talking points that say that they do, regardless of the facts or reality.
I worked as a staffing manager. I was a third party that hired people for local companies. I flat out had a guy admit that he wanted to pay a female welder who had education and experience less than a starting welder with no experience and no education because she was a woman. I've had highly educated friends end up quitting jobs in their field because the management refused to acknowledge any of the work they did and often attributed ideas and successful projects to male counterparts who weren't even involved in these things.

I haven't swallowed anything, I've seen it firsthand. But go ahead and keep telling yourself that sexist men don't exist anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:05 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
My wife warned her previous employer several times that they could legitimately be sued if any of the women got wind that they were paid less money despite doing more work than their male coworkers. She was in charge of accounting so she saw who was getting raises and who was doing what work. The men demanded and got higher wages and compensation and the women would just get the COLA adjustments or whatever was left over.

I don't know what women make non-union in the electrical trade. I have seen a trend of promoting women quickly to more administrative positions in construction. Project managing, estimating, etc. No idea what kind of money they make though.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 AM

316 posts, read 214,713 times
Without having read all these comments women have been paid less historically. It was believed they would only get married and to likely discourage them from independence..

Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Without having read all these comments women have been paid less historically. It was believed they would only get married and to likely discourage them from independence..
You really need to read.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
My wife warned her previous employer several times that they could legitimately be sued if any of the women got wind that they were paid less money despite doing more work than their male coworkers. She was in charge of accounting so she saw who was getting raises and who was doing what work. The men demanded and got higher wages and compensation and the women would just get the COLA adjustments or whatever was left over.

I don't know what women make non-union in the electrical trade. I have seen a trend of promoting women quickly to more administrative positions in construction. Project managing, estimating, etc. No idea what kind of money they make though.
Duh, as a result, accounting is dominated by women!

Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I worked as a staffing manager. I was a third party that hired people for local companies. I flat out had a guy admit that he wanted to pay a female welder who had education and experience less than a starting welder with no experience and no education because she was a woman. I've had highly educated friends end up quitting jobs in their field because the management refused to acknowledge any of the work they did and often attributed ideas and successful projects to male counterparts who weren't even involved in these things.

I haven't swallowed anything, I've seen it firsthand. But go ahead and keep telling yourself that sexist men don't exist anymore.
Nobody denies sexism exists; however, IN GENERAL, women aren’t paid less for doing the same job with the same quality. When women are indeed paid less , it literally means they edged out their male competitors.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM

417 posts, read 191,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Exactly!

I have seen "equal pay for equal work" my entire working life beginning in 1972, for the same jobs at the same level and with the same competence.
Unless you have actually seen their paycheck, how would you really know? Many companies frown on (meaning find a reason to fire) employees discussing how much they earn.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Duh, as a result, accounting is dominated by women!
I'm not sure what part of my response was "duh", but comments like yours are exactly why people don't have "honest discussions without hurling insults".

Why did you ask a question if you already believe you know the answer?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I'm not sure what part of my response was "duh", but comments like yours are exactly why people don't have "honest discussions without hurling insults".

Why did you ask a question if you already believe you know the answer?
I apologize. I shouldn’t use “duh.” You used an evidence contradicting yourself.

I ask because I want to see who is still fooled by this.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I apologize. I shouldn’t use “duh.” You used an evidence contradicting yourself.

I ask because I want to see who is still fooled by this.
I don't believe I used evidence contradicting myself. My wife noticed a discrepancy in duties performed and pay. The women coaches despite working more hours, had a lower salary than the men, she tracked the hours, and knew what each coach's responsibilities were. She also knew when the men demanded raises, and who got what bonuses.

I know many people would like the employer to abide by "equal" pay standards, but unfortunately many do not, and I don't believe it's usually malicious. Women just tend to be more passive about getting raises, they often believe that if they excel at their duties it will be recognized. This happens to men too, but I would argue not proportional to women. I have rarely been given a raise that wasn't demanded, and in most cases, I had to demand it. Did I take that opportunity from a woman? Possibly, but I also took it from the other men too.

Say what you will about it, but it just works.

Men tend to overvalue themselves and women tend to undervalue themselves.

Women are less comfortable saying "no", so they will experience job creep without demanding higher compensation.

In my opinion they should be teaching soft skills like this to our youth because most people don't have unions that help level the playing field. I was able to coach my wife into getting better deals for herself, but in my opinion she was still way underpaid for what she provided. Part of her problem is that her woman supervisor kept the ceiling low because she undervalued herself. My wife has since quit and started her own business so it's irrelevant at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies