Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are women really paid less for doing the same job with the same quality?
Yes. We have stats to support this. 33 25.98%
No. The stats are wrong because they don't account for factors such as type of jobs or tenure. 89 70.08%
I don't know. 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Reasons matter as well as a logical thought process.

Compare single men without kids to single women without kids. Try that. Try using two groups with as many as the same qualities and conditions instead grouping all men vs all women.

You can't comprehend that women are less aggressive than men so they wont charge up the ladder as fast and as well? you don't see that over and over? They wont bury themselves into their job and work long hours as men because of their less aggressive nature. And as a related matter they don't ask for raises and promotions as much because of their less aggressive nature. That they are much more likely to take time off to have a baby and how that reduces their value?

All this is too hard to understand or observe? I don't get how someone doesn't account for something so obvious, so basic, that we all grew up with and see almost everyday. There are studies that back up what I'm saying but why the need when some things are so obvious? I see what's happening right in front of me and so do you. You see it but refuse to accept it.

You''re going against the basics and that's irresponsible. If women were earning 80-85% of what men earn for doing the same job, then their UE rate would be microscopic. An overwhelming percentage of businesses would hire women and save a ton of money. That's basic. A business is in it to make money, not over pay men.

Just to be clear. I'm not sexist, in this instance anyway. I'm being catty to you because you refuse to see. Reasons matter.
Holy generalizations Batman.

Anyway, pushing those aside you also have to consider location and type of work. I live in a very blue collar area where a lot of men still have the notion that women should be barefoot in the kitchen. Granted, there are many men who do not think this way as well. However I’ve had to turn in managers for blatant sexism. I’ve actually heard a manager say the reason he wanted to pay a more qualified and experienced woman less than the starting wage for a man with no experience was because she was a woman and women shouldn’t be welders.

My state also ranks as one of the worst for gender pay gaps and it isn’t surprising. No amount of aggressiveness or negotiating can change someone who has a perspective that women are worth less than men because of their gender.

Luckily you can find decent employers who don’t participate in that kind of sexism but it still exists far more than many people seem to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
what makes you think there is a glass ceiling, or that women don't get equal OR BETTER pay??

what pay issue??? the gender gap or so called glass ceiling is a myth

the glass ceiling lie

another liberal lie

someone brings up the equal pay thing they lose

...the 'glass ceiling is a LIE

EVERY job that I have seen women in they make the SAME as their male counterparts based on SENIORITY and SKILL
the MYTH of the glass ceiling is just that..a MYTH

Quote:
We often hear about a "wage gap" between women and men. In 1992, the ratio of female to male, year-round, fulltime earnings was 71 cents to the dollar. This includes workers of all ages and all types of jobs. Among workers 25 to 34, the 1992 ratio was 82 cents on the dollar. And in a real "apples to apples" comparison, the gap narrows more. June E. O'Neill, director of the Congressional Budget Office, did a study based on the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth by Ohio State University's Center for Human Resources Research. O'Neill found that among people 27 to 33 who have never had a child, women's earnings were about 98-99% of men's. Similar results occur if you compare the earnings of women and men of the same education and experience in the same professions.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...nings-of-women
Women also have created jobs, for themselves and others. In 1980, there were about 2 million women-owned businesses with about $25 billion in sales. in 1996, according to the National Foundation for Women Business Owners, nearly 8 million companies with more than $2.25 trillion in sales are owned by women. One in four American workers is employed by a woman-owned business.

In many occupations, including speech pathology and financial analysis, women earn far more than men. When it comes to college degrees, women outpace men by a fair shot. According to the Wall Street Journal, “single, childless women between ages 22 and 30 were earning more than their male counterparts in most U.S. cities, with incomes that were 8 percent on average."

if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a BS glass ceiling that doesn't exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me.........if I have more experience.......and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town???

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs...needs of the company AND needs of the employee who negotiates starting wage during the application process

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

should a woman or man coming into the shop as a mechanic be paid the same as my lead mechanic, just because the title says mechanic????

should a woman LAWYER just coming out of law school be paid the same as a male lawyer that has been practicing for the last 20 years???

should a woman just coming onto the job, (but has 10 years experience) be paid the same as an employee that has been with the COMPANY for the last 10 years ( LONGEVITY on the job)????

should an employee based in a NYC company be paid the same as an employee based in a Biloxi Mississippi company, just because they have the same title, and are the same type of company??? even though the cost of living is like 4-1 difference??

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview

liberals always look to mediocrity, instead of striving for the best

now liberals will force LOWER PAY for all...the fascist liberal dream...all of us being serfs

Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If this were true, why would anybody hire men when they can pay women less for doing the same job with the same quality?

All the business people including female business owners must be stupid. Maybe it's a great opportunity for us to open a new company and only hire women so that we can undercut the whole business world and beat the crap out of the competitions.

Who's in with me to creating an all women drilling or construction team, and we will charge the customers 30% cheaper for the same job since we can pay women at 77 cents on the dollar?

Imagine how quickly we can take over the entire world!
The polls are WRONG!! Women take too much time off to bear and take care of children and can rely on their husbands and a generous tax structure that taxes those couples at a lower rate for the stay at home mom.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
If this were true, why would anybody hire men when they can pay women less for doing the same job with the same quality?

All the business people including female business owners must be stupid. Maybe it's a great opportunity for us to open a new company and only hire women so that we can undercut the whole business world and beat the crap out of the competitions.

Who's in with me to creating an all women drilling or construction team, and we will charge the customers 30% cheaper for the same job since we can pay women at 77 cents on the dollar?

Imagine how quickly we can take over the entire world!
Lot of men here still clinging to the good old days huh? As a man who has been in the workforce many years I have to say that women do not get paid the same as men. It's a man's world and men are way more aggressive . I believe in equal pay for equal work.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Holy generalizations Batman.

Anyway, pushing those aside you also have to consider location and type of work. I live in a very blue collar area where a lot of men still have the notion that women should be barefoot in the kitchen. Granted, there are many men who do not think this way as well. However I’ve had to turn in managers for blatant sexism. I’ve actually heard a manager say the reason he wanted to pay a more qualified and experienced woman less than the starting wage for a man with no experience was because she was a woman and women shouldn’t be welders.

My state also ranks as one of the worst for gender pay gaps and it isn’t surprising. No amount of aggressiveness or negotiating can change someone who has a perspective that women are worth less than men because of their gender.

Luckily you can find decent employers who don’t participate in that kind of sexism but it still exists far more than many people seem to think.
Very true. Anytime there are wage negotiations involved women always lose out...... There is a wage gap. For the reasons you just stated.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Very true. Anytime there are wage negotiations involved women always lose out...... There is a wage gap. For the reasons you just stated.
Not lose out. They undercut their male competitors and take the jobs from them.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,227 times
Quote:
Not lose out. They undercut their male competitors and take the jobs from them.
Ahhhh good ol’ MRA’s.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Women are guaranteed the same minimum wages in my trade union as men.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:07 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
It's already illegal to pay women less for the same work just because they are women

Democrats need to stop spreading this misconception

Old 02-11-2018, 02:09 PM

639 posts, read 376,762 times
No.

The reality is we have a government, service-based, and healthcare economy.

WOMEN over men have an advantage.

But you won't hear that on the news.

Men in this country now are not only being pushed down, they are getting their faced shoved in the dirt.

Meanwhile the other party plays the victim, and emasculated men drinking the Kool-aid play Beta friend agreeing and supporting as they are castrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies