Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are women really paid less for doing the same job with the same quality?
Yes. We have stats to support this. 33 25.98%
No. The stats are wrong because they don't account for factors such as type of jobs or tenure. 89 70.08%
I don't know. 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,713,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why wouldn’t the smart women business owners hire 280 lbs women for 70 cents on the dollar and pocket more profit?
Arms tend to be shaped differently.
And, being the smarter sex, they are unlikely to volunteer for jackhammering (although I am certain there are some female jackhammer operators)...

Anyone can operate a crane, bulldozer, loader, etc - doesn't take much muscle to pull hydraulic levers. Maybe there are fewer "blue collar" females these days...more going on to higher education. That leaves the Septic Tank Biz to mostly males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,930,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And, being the smarter sex, they are unlikely to volunteer for jackhammering (although I am certain there are some female jackhammer operators)...

Anyone can operate a crane, bulldozer, loader, etc - doesn't take much muscle to pull hydraulic levers. Maybe there are fewer "blue collar" females these days...more going on to higher education. That leaves the Septic Tank Biz to mostly males.
You would think if they were so darn smart and are in the majority they would not allow themselves to be oppressed.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:52 PM

24,051 posts, read 15,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Not sure if you're defending it, but that's exactly the mindset I think needs to be tossed in the trash. People need to stop looking at everything in terms of groups. You don't punish an individual based on the actions of someone else that happens to resemble them.
Not defending or condemning.

IMO, cultural change moves in waves. Son just saw the handwriting on the wall. He understands he can roll with or fight it.

It was his generation that paid the penance for all the years of women being relegated to being barefoot and pregnant. At least now women have access to many things that were closed off to their mothers and grandmothers.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,312,486 times
I am glad that women are catching up to men in the work force. I am happy when I see women getting all those college degrees. I support women and I respect them. With that being said there is a war on men in our society. You would have to be blind not to see it!!

Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,928,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Well, I listed some of those reasons in another thread. Basically, I've stated I knew that. But it doesn't tell the whole story. It is only part of it, I stated that as well. If you say there is no issue, it must be true in the bubble.

I'm more interested in moving productive dialog with people that are interested in social awareness and change not catty back and forth wasted time. You are entitled to your viewpoint.

You can include the link of your fact-finding data
Reasons matter as well as a logical thought process.

Compare single men without kids to single women without kids. Try that. Try using two groups with as many as the same qualities and conditions instead grouping all men vs all women.

You can't comprehend that women are less aggressive than men so they wont charge up the ladder as fast and as well? you don't see that over and over? They wont bury themselves into their job and work long hours as men because of their less aggressive nature. And as a related matter they don't ask for raises and promotions as much because of their less aggressive nature. That they are much more likely to take time off to have a baby and how that reduces their value?

All this is too hard to understand or observe? I don't get how someone doesn't account for something so obvious, so basic, that we all grew up with and see almost everyday. There are studies that back up what I'm saying but why the need when some things are so obvious? I see what's happening right in front of me and so do you. You see it but refuse to accept it.

You''re going against the basics and that's irresponsible. If women were earning 80-85% of what men earn for doing the same job, then their UE rate would be microscopic. An overwhelming percentage of businesses would hire women and save a ton of money. That's basic. A business is in it to make money, not over pay men.

Just to be clear. I'm not sexist, in this instance anyway. I'm being catty to you because you refuse to see. Reasons matter.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-10-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 03:39 PM

24,051 posts, read 15,164,594 times
And, there are some who see aggressive, competitive behavior as being unproductive. Co operation is a good trait, too.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,185,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This hurts.

Looks like I won't be getting a raise any time soon.
What an astounding argument for being child-free.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:33 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,539,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
As a software engineer....I havent seen it recently. BUT...when I was younger, and new to the field I watched a female coworker who did better work then I did....make 1/2 as much.
the question is WHY

is that what she AGREED to??

did she not have the knowledge of the going rate??

I have been OFFERED low rates... I refuse them, its part of the negotiation for jobs... a prospective employee should have the knowledge of the going rate for the area...and should know what they are worth

Old 02-11-2018, 09:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,608,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

So in essence, women are making more than men?

Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,608,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
As a software engineer....I havent seen it recently. BUT...when I was younger, and new to the field I watched a female coworker who did better work then I did....make 1/2 as much.
Duh! Your female coworker has taken the job from male applicants by undercutting them. As a result, the male applicants are making $0.

Last time I checked, making money is better than making $0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies