Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are women really paid less for doing the same job with the same quality?
Yes. We have stats to support this. 33 25.98%
No. The stats are wrong because they don't account for factors such as type of jobs or tenure. 89 70.08%
I don't know. 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 PM

26,692 posts, read 14,636,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Let's talk stupid. Some people fail to realize that most babies come out of females. Therefore, females that decide to be mothers (most?) have to deal with physical and emotional situations that men have traditionally stayed (mostly) out of. They also have some physical changes to deal with.

Whereas a guy may be willing to be a "rat" or "hamster on a wheel" (the rat race), women may make more decisions about work/life balance. If an employer is a "pure" economic capitalist, they are going to hire a dude willing to work 60 or 70 hours per week on a salary...that's harder for a woman to deal with. It's actually hard for even a guy to deal with, but they will do it.

In theory - men would generally make better slaves for digging coal...if that is the point you are trying to make. They could perhaps dig a little faster (depending on what you feed them, tho).

3/4 of School Teachers are Female - does this therefore mean that Men are stupid? According to your theories it might. I'd say in most professional occupations, women are equal to men. Some are lesser, some are better.

If you hire a firm to break up the concrete on your driveway, it could well be woman owned and woman operated. But she is smart enough to hire the 280 LB guy to use the jackhammer.

Are you saying that the jackhammer operator has more value than the woman who got the job (through marketing, grants, personal connections, etc.)?????

Silly thread. Based on your brilliant theories 3/4 of the workforce would be fired by age 40, never to find work again. A 40+ person simply cannot work physically like a 20 year old. Also, brain decline would definitely be starting by 50.

Are you pushing for a shorter number of working years and then we just pay everyone to stay home?

Based on these "theories" horses and elephants should be paid more than any other living things...

Why wouldn’t the smart women business owners hire 280 lbs women for 70 cents on the dollar and pocket more profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,459,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Since you seem to think you are so smart, perhaps you should be the one to tell us.
Right! Watching Fox News all day doesn't make that person smart. But somehow they think so. No data, government findings, no current facts yet calls anyone stupid. I think that person should apply it to themselves if anything.

When someone stands up for injustices they dislike the opposite side according to the bubble boys in the thread? According to the bubble boys, people that stand up for immigration, minorities, women, Muslims etc must hate straight American Christian white males right? Stupid is as stupid does. Back to the regularly scheduled program. They are comical. Like I said, the bubble, no issues exist inside of it except what Fox News reports.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,247,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
It is a bunch of males that have no accurate data to back up their fake agenda except the fact that they don't see it in their bubble or on Fox News.
That 76% of what males make or whatever it is now that is so often cited is based on the average of the entire population. The reasons most often cited for this pay gap are:

• Women on average choose careers that pay less.
  • Woman on average have less experience.
  • Women are more likely to work part time jobs.
  • Women are less likely to work overtime.
  • Woman are less likely to work in fields that are dangerous that pay a lot.
All of this can easily be verified, are you suggesting this is not true?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,459,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That 76% of what males make or whatever it is now that is so often cited is based on the average of the entire population. The reasons most often cited for this pay gap are:

• Women on average choose careers that pay less.
  • Woman on average have less experience.
  • Women are more likely to work part time jobs.
  • Women are less likely to work overtime.
  • Woman are less likely to work in fields that are dangerous that pay a lot.
All of this can easily be verified, are you suggesting this is not true?
Well, I listed some of those reasons in another thread. Basically, I've stated I knew that. But it doesn't tell the whole story. It is only part of it, I stated that as well. If you say there is no issue, it must be true in the bubble.

I'm more interested in moving productive dialog with people that are interested in social awareness and change not catty back and forth wasted time. You are entitled to your viewpoint.

You can include the link of your fact-finding data

Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM

35,845 posts, read 21,247,189 times
Happened to me - and I won

Old 02-09-2018, 07:02 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,664,501 times
Quote:
Right! Watching Fox News all day doesn't make that person smart. But somehow they think so. No data, government findings, no current facts yet calls anyone stupid. I think that person should apply it to themselves if anything.

When someone stands up for injustices they dislike the opposite side according to the bubble boys in the thread? According to the bubble boys, people that stand up for immigration, minorities, women, Muslims etc must hate straight American Christian white males right? Stupid is as stupid does. Back to the regularly scheduled program. They are comical. Like I said, the bubble, no issues exist inside of it except what Fox News reports.
When somebody cannot bring decent arguments, he starts to stereotype people.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,247,804 times
Quote:
I'm more interested in moving productive dialog with people that are interested in social awareness and change not catty back and forth wasted time. You are entitled to your viewpoint.
If you wish to change this the fundamental thing that needs to be changed are the choices women make. I have a male relative and when he got married his wife enrolled in pharmacology and he worked full time. When she graduated they had a few kids and he stayed home and works part time. She makes a ridiculous amount of money and he doesn't... She also works a ridiculous amount of hours.

They planned this out before they were married, you may be surprised but there is lot of men out their willing to accept that role.

Quote:
You can include the link of your fact-finding data
Do you or do you not agree they are fact?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,955,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why wouldn’t the smart women business owners hire 280 lbs women for 70 cents on the dollar and pocket more profit?
I’ve asked this question before. Never got an answer.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:34 PM

30,943 posts, read 19,549,253 times
In my many years of working, I haven't seen a pay gap between women and men in a given position. What I would say is that some fields which have a lot of women, such as administration/secretarial, tend to not carry the pay that male dominated positions typically carry though their function is critical to business.

As others have noted, if women were vastly underpaid for their skillsets, smart business people would hire an all female workforce and destroy their competitors.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:50 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,372,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Never said I was smart. Just asked the same question you did, a tad differently.

My son is in an industry that had few women. He understood at 19 the scales were going to be balanced. His generation just had to pay the price for hundreds of years of discrimination. That is the way of the world.

He has worked for 20 years. The employers hire women, some times those with way less experience make more money. It balances out because his wife is really making way more than she should.
Not sure if you're defending it, but that's exactly the mindset I think needs to be tossed in the trash. People need to stop looking at everything in terms of groups. You don't punish an individual based on the actions of someone else that happens to resemble them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies