Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think the biggest issue is that people don’t want others misrepresenting their culture.
I think that's almost entirely a manufactured issue. Most people don't naturally feel defensive and proprietary about their culture unless they are taught to feel that way by someone who has been exposed to post modernist, postcolonial dogma. Certainly very few people in Japan, which is mostly free of this sort of academic rot, look negatively on non-Japanese who wear kimonos or Hello Kitty gear. And while I have heard of Asian Americans and Canadians making a fuss over appropriation, I can't think of any instance where actual Asians have done so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Here's the problem I have with this thread:

In every group, there are people who have ridiculous, extreme views. Yes, there are people who believe that white people eating tacos is cultural appropriation and therefore inappropriate. Those people are also quite few in number.

The problem is that people with a somewhat racist and nationalist agenda seize upon these statements like candy. That way, they can paint anybody working for social justice, and liberals in general, as extreme. Others buy it, and they move closer towards the unseemly racist and nationalist agenda that the agitators who post things like this want.

Please don't fall for it. You can call out extreme liberal positions while maintaining a heart for social justice.

Then quit letting the inmates run the asylum.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Here's the problem I have with this thread:

In every group, there are people who have ridiculous, extreme views. Yes, there are people who believe that white people eating tacos is cultural appropriation and therefore inappropriate. Those people are also quite few in number.

The problem is that people with a somewhat racist and nationalist agenda seize upon these statements like candy. That way, they can paint anybody working for social justice, and liberals in general, as extreme. Others buy it, and they move closer towards the unseemly racist and nationalist agenda that the agitators who post things like this want.

Please don't fall for it. You can call out extreme liberal positions while maintaining a heart for social justice.
If only what you're saying were true.

Meanwhile here in America, the RACIST SJW's have managed to pass AA laws that discriminate against white people.

DO NOT TRUST THEM. They are out for themselves, not America.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Part of the problem -- we just have way too many forums or places or whatever where we can say what we want.

It makes it 'seem' like folks are more offended.

I suspect human nature hasn't changed that much over the centuries.
I suspect that folks were always upset about something silly and it just didn't go viral.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Ironically it seems that the conservatives on these boards are easily triggered, outraged by things yet accuse liberals of being outraged or triggered.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
If only what you're saying were true.

Meanwhile here in America, the RACIST SJW's have managed to pass AA laws that discriminate against white people.

DO NOT TRUST THEM. They are out for themselves, not America.
Huh. I've never been passed over for a job simply because I'm white. If someone has, maybe they weren't good enough for the job. What a thought, hey?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Huh. I've never been passed over for a job simply because I'm white. If someone has, maybe they weren't good enough for the job. What a thought, hey?
You seem very uneducated on the subject.

Affirmative action laws allow minorities to attend university, even though they scored WORSE on tests than the white people they DISPLACE.

So the white person (who is more qualified) is overlooked and the position is given to a less qualified minority.

That's what the racist SJW's have achieved... not equality, but revenge and special treatment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/u...versities.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to redirect resources of the Justice Department’s civil rights division toward investigating and suing universities over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

The document, an internal announcement to the civil rights division, seeks current lawyers interested in working for a new project on “investigations and possible litigation related to intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions.”

Old 02-12-2018, 09:17 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Welcome to 2018, where most people are offended within the first 30 minutes of waking up every day.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Part of the problem -- we just have way too many forums or places or whatever where we can say what we want.

It makes it 'seem' like folks are more offended.

I suspect human nature hasn't changed that much over the centuries.
I suspect that folks were always upset about something silly and it just didn't go viral.
I have read that until the 1950s, in America at least, most people were chiefly concerned with simply staying alive. The rise of social welfare states and changes in the economy allowed for people to step back and enjoy more leisure time. It is probably no accident that seeing a shrink started to become acceptable around then and that gave way to people finding themselves via drugs, TM, Yoga, health food, gurus, Scientology, communes, Janov, cults, etc. And endless array, both good and bad, of things by which one could improve thyself. We finally had the time.

Fast forward to the 21st century with computers everywhere and here we are.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
I find the whole idea of cultural appropriation idiotic and ignorant.

Cultures have borrowed influences from other cultures since the dawn of time, and no countries are 'pure'. One can even claim that agriculture and bronze working was cultural appropriation. And most times cultural influences weren't deliberately spread by any decree, they just spread.

Our alphabet, our Arabic numerals, Christianity, the idea of democracy and constitution, even the colours of the American flag are examples of cultural loans and appropriation. The English language is filled with Latin and French loan words, the months are named after Roman gods and emperors. Then music, art, literature, architecture, cuisine... pretty much everything are forms of cultural appropriation.

Those who are upset about cultural appropriation have probably never even opened a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies